Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: CBS '20
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3804 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: (Help Needed) Last Questions Marking [#permalink]
nooraftab wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I have been preparing for a GMAT for a month and half. I took the mocks really late in my preparation and scored 540 (Q32, V27). Timing is an issue on both parts Quant and Verbal. I missed 3 questions from each section. Just wondering how much score can improve from guessing last 3 questions vs skipping them.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N900 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi nooraftab,

Yes, As other ponited it out The Penalty is substantial.

Fact about The Last Question: If you select a choice for the last question and do not get a chance to submit it then this question would be considered NOT attempted. So the high penalty applies. It was not the case earlier. So mind It guys :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi nooraftab,

Yes - questions that are left unanswered are 'penalized' (and the penalty is worse than if you had simply gotten the questions wrong). Unfortunately, it's difficult to say exactly how many points you actually lost because of the penalties here - since there are additional factors that also would have influenced your score. That having been said, pacing issues do NOT exist on their own - they're the results of OTHER issues. To solve this problem, and score at a much higher level, you'll likely have to make significant changes to how you 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What study materials have you used so far?
2) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
3) What is your goal score?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Rich for the kind words and so dedicatedly following all users. I would want to be a future GMAT assassin.

I have read your question so many times while following your responses to other users that I thought about adding this info right after I posted my question.

I am aiming for top 10 schools. I have an undergrad in IT as well as one in Journalism and Pol Sciences. I run my own NGO worked in public and private sector finance.

I am aiming for 99th percentile. I have prepared for a month with MGMAT. Completed all guides. It wasn't working a lot for me. I did official guide for quant portion and half for verbal. I have end of Nov to make it for my goal score.

Sent from my SM-N900 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
nooraftab wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I have been preparing for a GMAT for a month and half. I took the mocks really late in my preparation and scored 540 (Q32, V27). Timing is an issue on both parts Quant and Verbal. I missed 3 questions from each section. Just wondering how much score can improve from guessing last 3 questions vs skipping them.

Thanks in advance.
I hate to be the only one going the other way on this, but it is likely that the impact on your score (540, Q32 V27) would have been minimal. There's a chance that your score would have actually dropped if you had marked those questions incorrectly (through guessing) instead of skipping them.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
nooraftab wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance.
I hate to be the only one going the other way on this, but it is likely that the impact on your score (540, Q32 V27) would have been minimal. There's a chance that your score would have actually dropped if you had marked those questions incorrectly (through guessing) instead of skipping them.

AjiteshArun- Thanks for the different view. I know my score does not depend on unanswered questions. I just wanted a feel of how bad the penalty was.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi nooraftab,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so if you've been studying for a bit more than 1 month, then you simply have not put in enough time and effort to have scored higher yet. Since you've referenced the 99th percentile, I assume that your goal is to score in the 750+ range. With a Test Date at the end of November, you would have no more than 7 weeks of study time remaining. Unfortunately, raising a 540 to a 750+ will likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. As such, you might need to push back your Test Date and/or adjust your application plans.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot