Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 14:33 It is currently 13 May 2024, 14:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Schools: ISB '23 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: IIM Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Anchal270789 wrote:
Kindly see my profile and let me know my prospects -
Age/Sex/Nationality - 32/M/Indian
10th - 86.33 % (all subjects)
12th - 87.33 % (all subjects)
Graduation - B.Com ( Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar University, Agra) - 1st Division 62.44 %
Chartered Accountant (2012 batch)
I am a practicing Chartered Accountant (self employed entrepreneur) with 9 years of experience, leading a team of 5 on an average at all times. I am based in Agra, so exposure has been limited to small scale businesses. Clients handled - about 100 each year.
GMAT - 660 (Q 49, V 31)
President of the social club - "Alliance Club International - Agra branch"
Certificates in singing, table tennis, elocution at school level.

Looking for admission in IIM. I am confused that with the above score and profile, will I be able to get into any IIM (A/B/C/Indore/Kozhikode/Lucknow). Any suggestions and / or feedback is highly appreciated. If chances to get into my desired schools is bleak, what schools should I try, given that Round 1 for most of the schools have finished.

Hi Anchal270789,

Thanks for sharing your profile.

Your profile is a diverse one. CA and small business experience are valued high.

Since your GMAT score is 660, your chances at A, B, C are difficult. But you are a strong contender of L, I and K. Do give your best, and you will definitely get a positive result.

Best wishes

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.5
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi All, may I request experts to please evaluate my chances at IIM ABCLI 1 year programs

Background and nationality: 34/M/Indian, total work ex is around 11.5 year by the time course starts

Undergrad Information: I'm certified Financial Risk Manager (somewhat equivalent to CFA) and also have multiple SAS language certificates
Post Graduate in Finance and Controls 60.5% - State University
BE Computer Engg 65% - State University
12% - 74% CBSE
10% 76% CBSE

GMAT: Hitting 670 in official mocks, hoping to achieve the same in real test in 2 weeks time.

Work experience and leadership: Worked in total 4 companies. Worked in both sell and buy side and currently working in as Product Manager in big US IB, manage 2 associates. Also worked in top BPM company into campaign analytics.

Community and others: Moderate community work

Post MBA goals: Need MBA to have a vertical movement in the financial industry.

Thanks again for your help!!!
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello AnkitHRD

Work experience is good and career goals seem organic and realistic.
The work ex could be a bit tricky for IIMB but not a deal breaker.
The GMAT however does not inspire a lot of confidence. Either target higher or compensate with stellar achievements/storytelling in your work ex.

You may want to read here on what factors work in a profile and here to add to your research on career goals.

Best
Varun Sharma
+918452954888 (https://gmatclub.com/chat)
MBAkarma.com
info@mbakarma.com

AnkitHRD wrote:
Hi All, may I request experts to please evaluate my chances at IIM ABCLI 1 year programs

Background and nationality: 34/M/Indian, total work ex is around 11.5 year by the time course starts

Undergrad Information: I'm certified Financial Risk Manager (somewhat equivalent to CFA) and also have multiple SAS language certificates
Post Graduate in Finance and Controls 60.5% - State University
BE Computer Engg 65% - State University
12% - 74% CBSE
10% 76% CBSE

GMAT: Hitting 670 in official mocks, hoping to achieve the same in real test in 2 weeks time.

Work experience and leadership: Worked in total 4 companies. Worked in both sell and buy side and currently working in as Product Manager in big US IB, manage 2 associates. Also worked in top BPM company into campaign analytics.

Community and others: Moderate community work

Post MBA goals: Need MBA to have a vertical movement in the financial industry.

Thanks again for your help!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi MBAkarma,

I would love to hear your feedback on my profile. I am planning to apply for IIMA this year and IIMB/C/I/L next year after fulfilling the eligibility criteria of 5 years.

Background- 25/M, Indian

10th- 80% (ICSE)
12th- 72% (Maharashtra State Board)
Graduation- 69% (B.E. Electrical, 2017)
Gmat- 690 (Q49, V35)

Work Exp- 4+ year.

Product Manager in a organization that provides Industrial IOT products.
Role involves
1. Product and Portfolio Management, and Marketing,
2. Interaction with clients for on-boarding, and
3. Cross-functional coordination for various projects.

I have represented the company in few exhibitions and expos, and conducted trainings in the organization on both, technical and non-technical subjects.
Occasionally, I write blogs and articles for my company's website and social media accounts.

Why MBA?
MBA will help me to upgrade from the middle management to the senior roles. MBA in IIMs will not only grant me the exposure to the peers from myriad backgrounds, but also allow me to step into roles that will challenge my technical and management skills.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello nikhilvarekar

Let us break it down into the main elements-

1) Acads- slightly below avg for IIMA/B/C, especially considering the Engineering/Tech background. Will need to be compensated with other strengths.
2) Work Ex- The role shows potential for sure, but key will be how you bring out the career progress, achievements and impact at work.
3) Diversity- Low due to the Indian Male Tech background, but some of the extracurricular show potential, especially the blog (if it has good engagement or can be presented as relevant to the application)
4) Career Goals- While I understand on a personal level, you will have to be more specific here. What sort of roles and companies you wish to target. What existing skills you want the MBA to build upon and what new skills you wish to gain from the MBA.

Since you are mostly applying next year, you have decent time to a) improve your GMAT score 2) further build achievements at work/extracurricular and introspect on your narrative 3) further build clarity of thought around your career goals

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com

nikhilvarekar wrote:
Hi MBAkarma,

I would love to hear your feedback on my profile. I am planning to apply for IIMA this year and IIMB/C/I/L next year after fulfilling the eligibility criteria of 5 years.

Background- 25/M, Indian

10th- 80% (ICSE)
Gmat- 690 (Q49, V35)

Work Exp- 4+ year.

Role involves

I have represented the company in few exhibitions and expos, and conducted trainings in the organization on both, technical and non-technical subjects.
Occasionally, I write blogs and articles for my company's website and social media accounts.

Why MBA?
MBA will help me to upgrade from the middle management to the senior roles. MBA in IIMs will not only grant me the exposure to the peers from myriad backgrounds, but also allow me to step into roles that will challenge my technical and management skills.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
MBAkarma wrote:
Hello nikhilvarekar

1) Acads- slightly below avg for IIMA/B/C, especially considering the Engineering/Tech background. Will need to be compensated with other strengths.
2) Work Ex- The role shows potential for sure, but key will be how you bring out the career progress, achievements and impact at work.
3) Diversity- Low due to the Indian Male Tech background, but some of the extracurricular show potential, especially the blog (if it has good engagement or can be presented as relevant to the application)
4) Career Goals- While I understand on a personal level, you will have to be more specific here. What sort of roles and companies you wish to target. What existing skills you want the MBA to build upon and what new skills you wish to gain from the MBA.

Since you are mostly applying next year, you have decent time to a) improve your GMAT score 2) further build achievements at work/extracurricular and introspect on your narrative 3) further build clarity of thought around your career goals

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com

nikhilvarekar wrote:
Hi MBAkarma,

Background- 25/M, Indian

10th- 80% (ICSE)
Gmat- 690 (Q49, V35)

Work Exp- 4+ year.

Role involves

Why MBA?

Hi Varun,

Your observations are precise! I am planning another attempt at GMAT early next year.

But I am not confident that my score will increase by more than 10-20 points. Will this make any difference?

Also, do schools expect above average Gmat scores to compensate for below average work experience?
I have gone through the batch profiles of few schools and, to be frank, the average age and work experience were not very encouraging.

Meanwhile, I will amp up my involvement in extracurriculars and earn few more points in exp.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello nikhilvarekar

While usually +/-10 points should not make much impact, but going from a 690 to a 700 can make a psychological difference.
On work experience work defining 'work experience' itself is tough, let alone 'average work experience'.
Unlike acads, work ex is not that easy to measure. A 750 on the GMAT is always better than a 700, no arguments around that. But is 6 years necessarily better than 5 years? No straightforward answer here. What matters more than the years is the depth and quality of your work ex. How has been your career progress, what are the key achievements and impact at work and more importantly how do you chose to present all of this in your essays/LOR/interviews. For instance, the CVs of two similar profile could be very different and present the candidates' strengths very differently. Same thing will apply to essays. In short, strong work ex can may not directly compensate for significantly lower scores but it can surely give the school an added incentive to admit you.

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com

nikhilvarekar wrote:
MBAkarma wrote:
Hello nikhilvarekar

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com

nikhilvarekar wrote:
Hi MBAkarma,

Background- 25/M, Indian

10th- 80% (ICSE)
Gmat- 690 (Q49, V35)

Work Exp- 4+ year.

Role involves

Why MBA?

Hi Varun,

Your observations are precise! I am planning another attempt at GMAT early next year.

But I am not confident that my score will increase by more than 10-20 points. Will this make any difference?

Also, do schools expect above average Gmat scores to compensate for below average work experience?
I have gone through the batch profiles of few schools and, to be frank, the average age and work experience were not very encouraging.

Meanwhile, I will amp up my involvement in extracurriculars and earn few more points in exp.
Current Student
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39 (Online)
Send PM
Hi, I would request to hear your feedback on my profile. I am planning to apply for IIM A/B/C or Indore this year.

Background- 35/M, Indian

10th- 65% (CBSE)
12th- 58.5%
Graduation- Hotel Management 59%
PGDBM (Distance Learning) from Narsee Monjee: 72%

Gmat- 730 (Q50, V39, IR 4)

Work Exp- 13+ year.

Currently working in the profile of Senior Sales Manager for an Airline and leading Corporate Sales team of 8 members.
Consistently delivering targets and growth for the organisation.
Annual Target delivery of around 550 Crs.
With in Total 13 years of Hardcore Corporate Sales experience 6 years with Airlines, 5 Years with Luxury Hotels and 2 years with Retail Entertainment.

Why MBA now?
I am looking for an opportunity to sharpen my skill set and prepare myself for senior leadership roles.

Current Student
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39 (Online)
Send PM
Hi, I would request to hear your feedback on my profile. I am planning to apply for IIM A/B/C or Indore this year.

Background- 35/M, Indian

10th- 65% (CBSE)
12th- 58.5%

Work Exp- 13+ year.

Currently working in the profile of Senior Sales Manager for an Airline and leading Corporate Sales team of 8 members.
With in Total 13 years of Hardcore Corporate Sales experience 6 years with Airlines, 5 Years with Luxury Hotels and 2 years with Retail Entertainment.

Why MBA now?
I am looking for an opportunity to sharpen my skill set and prepare myself for senior leadership roles.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V32
WE:Marketing (Insurance)
Send PM
AlokVerma2786 wrote:

Background- 35/M, Indian

10th- 65% (CBSE)
12th- 58.5%

Work Exp- 13+ year.

Why MBA now?

730 is a great score but 13+ yrs of experience might be the issue. I have heard that IIMB doesn’t take candidates with 10+ experience.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GPA: 3
Send PM
I would request for a profile evaluation for IIM A/B?C one year program,

- Nationality: Indian
- Educational Qualifications: B.Tech 7.16 CGPA

- GMAT: 710

Work Experience:
7+ years As a digital marketing entrepreneur. Bootstrapped my business to $1m+ in revenue.
Co-founded and sold another sports startup in 2017.

Post MBA Goal : Product Managemen/Product Marketing in FAANG

Extra Curricular: Won multiple awards in athletics and Cricket tournaments in college

I have doubts regarding my profile. Since the only experience I have is as an entrepreneur, is it something that IIMs would see as a negative?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Can you please take a look at my profile and suggest how it stacks up for IIM Indore, Bangalore?

India/M/33y
GMAT - 660 (Q47 & V34)
10th & 12th - 95%
UG - Commerce - 80% (2008)
Professional Qualifications - Cost and Management accountant (India) 2008, ACMA (UK) 2011
Certificates - Diploma in IFRS, ACCA (UK) (2012)
Awards/Achievements - 13th All India rank in ICWA final; 14th rank in ICWA Inter; 15th rank in CA Foundation but discontinued due to personal reasons.

Experience - 12 years, including international experience 12 months, mostly within Financial Planning and Analysis domain with well known brands. Have been managing teams since last 8 years (team size ranged from 8-18 with reportees spread across countries). Have consistently been in the top quartile performers and had a quick growth relative to rest of the organization.

I'm planning to take sabatical to complete EPGP. SOP - diversify typical finance profile to well rounded one, also gives me an edge to transform from mid to top management.

VP
VP
Send PM
Hello AlokVerma2786

Work profile and GMAT are good. Focus on IIMA and C, B might be reluctant to admit someone with 13+ yrs work ex, no harm in applying though.
You might want to talk about more specific goals as that will be a key point in essay/interview.

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com

AlokVerma2786 wrote:

Background- 35/M, Indian

10th- 65% (CBSE)
12th- 58.5%

Work Exp- 13+ year.

Why MBA now?

VP
VP
Send PM
Hello suntuu

Interesting profile. GMAT is good to go and work ex wise, actually if will be opposite of what you are thinking- entrepreneurial experience will mostly be a plus.
However, this will also beg a question why leave your venture and what happens to it once you go for an MBA and your targeted job after that.

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com

suntuu wrote:
I would request for a profile evaluation for IIM A/B?C one year program,

- Nationality: Indian
- Educational Qualifications: B.Tech 7.16 CGPA

- GMAT: 710

Work Experience:
7+ years As a digital marketing entrepreneur. Bootstrapped my business to $1m+ in revenue.
Co-founded and sold another sports startup in 2017.

Post MBA Goal : Product Managemen/Product Marketing in FAANG

Extra Curricular: Won multiple awards in athletics and Cricket tournaments in college

I have doubts regarding my profile. Since the only experience I have is as an entrepreneur, is it something that IIMs would see as a negative?
VP
VP
Send PM
Hello Sgpj

The GMAT is a question mark as it is much below the avg of IIM A/B/C and your profile might be more suitable for schools other than IIMB as they are more accepting of people with less than 12 years of work ex, but you are right on the borderline, so do give it a shot. Otherwise, FP&A work ex will help you stand out.
Career goals needs to be more specific instead of the generic 'all roundedness'.

Best
Varun
MBAkarma.com

Sgpj wrote:
Can you please take a look at my profile and suggest how it stacks up for IIM Indore, Bangalore?

India/M/33y
GMAT - 660 (Q47 & V34)
10th & 12th - 95%
UG - Commerce - 80% (2008)
Professional Qualifications - Cost and Management accountant (India) 2008, ACMA (UK) 2011
Certificates - Diploma in IFRS, ACCA (UK) (2012)
Awards/Achievements - 13th All India rank in ICWA final; 14th rank in ICWA Inter; 15th rank in CA Foundation but discontinued due to personal reasons.

Experience - 12 years, including international experience 12 months, mostly within Financial Planning and Analysis domain with well known brands. Have been managing teams since last 8 years (team size ranged from 8-18 with reportees spread across countries). Have consistently been in the top quartile performers and had a quick growth relative to rest of the organization.

I'm planning to take sabatical to complete EPGP. SOP - diversify typical finance profile to well rounded one, also gives me an edge to transform from mid to top management.

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Hi team,

Could you please share your feedback on my profile as well? Following are the details:
Target colleges: IIM-A,B,C & ISB
GMAT score: 740,Q50,V39,IR7,AWA5
Undergraduate: B.E.(Mechanical)first class pass(2015 passout)
Work experience: 6 years of work experience in various functions of supply chain management such as-demand planning & procurement- across manufacturing and retail industry.
Currently working as a deputy manager in demand planning at Reliance Retail ltd.(3yrs)
Prior to that, at brar india pvt ltd( a manufacturing firm) as an assistant manager in procurement team.(1year)
First job at accenture services pvt ltd as a supply chain analyst.(2years)
School: 10th 83%
12th:61% (i messed up here!)

What are my chances for IIM-A,B&C.

Thanks,
Vishal

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
Dear All,

Kindly evaluate my profile for one year MBA program at A/B/C

I was shortlisted for IIM Bangalore EPGP and IIM Calcutta MBAEx for the year 2022-23 but got rejected after the interview.

Undergrad: NIT Jalandhar
GMAT: 680 (V:34, Q:49)
Xth : 94.4%
XIIth : 90.17
Graduation: 7.62 CGPA
Work Experience: 6.5 years in operations and maintenance in city gas distribution. Got two promotions in these years and have consistently delivered in the company.

Industry: City Gas distribution

Extra-Curricular:
1. Placement coordinator in college
2. Silver medal in TT in the college sports event
3. U-19 regional level cricket player during School
4. Won 3rd rank in Youth parliament of KV Region
5. Maintain a blog

Post MBA Short term goal: Operation consultant

Long term goal: Own venture in the field of logistics

The interview at IIM Bangalore was a little shaky as I got a bit nervous but I did good in my opinion at IIM Calcutta one. But still did not make it.

Is the GMAT lacking? Or am I doing something terribly wrong?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  30   31   32   33   34   35   36  ...  43