Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Healthcare
GRE 1: Q159 V162
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 889 [2]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
How do you choose a fulltime MBA program? [#permalink]
Kudos
Jci813 wrote:
I hope this question gets some traction, because I think its a topic that does not get enough discussion. I know that MBA programs want to stay competitive, and we have to jump through some hoops. But when do we, as future business leaders, stop being applicants and start behaving like savvy consumers?

For example, every school says they have a welcoming, collaborative environment. In my application process, I saw that was indeed the case with some, but some don't event respond to an email. I am not complaining, but am asking how much do we take this into consideration? I want a school that will help me pivot and propel my career.. I edited down my list to schools I felt positiviely about (some more than others) and didn't focus as much on ranking as some other people.

I would love to get a thread going about where you chose to apply to and why and any personal experiences with the adcom that made you feel that way.

Great topic!! I will add my point of view.

So the way I choose my schools are on factors such as:-
1) Ranking
2) Location/Geography
3) Curriculum/Facilities/Infra
4) Diversity
5) Lecturers
6) AdCom's responses

Let me weigh-in the reasons as well for each of the factors.

Ranking - The ranking is based on various other factors as well such as the infra that the college provides, the investment it attracts, the alumni network, career services/companies it attracts, etc. Thus, ranking takes care of a majority of research that you might have to do to figure out the best school for you. Also when I look at say FT rankings and I see that LBS/Oxford is ranked higher than say Manchester - that tells me that LBS/Oxford has a better brand name and hence would be recognized even outside the UK which for me as a non-Eu citizen is very important as you can understand. For me, alumni networking post-MBA is far more important than the other 2 since I want to be an entrepreneur post-MBA and I want huge networking. Thus I go for colleges such as Oxford rather than a young college such as Warwick.

Location - The second most important factor is which region do you see yourself fit most. I am looking for the Eu region for eg. so for me, this factor weighs in even more. Places such as France, Spain, and Germany would require me to learn the local language and be fluent in it. Not just for me but for my family too so it's a bit inconvenient. The only other option that fits best for me is the UK. So I am looking primarily in the UK. And I can see myself working in the UK for a long time. At the same time, I can't see myself working in Italy, France, etc in the long run.

Curriculum/Facilities/Infra - The structure, length, flexibility, and subjects of the curriculum are yet other factors that will decide which college to go for. I am 31 so basically, I am looking for a year course, but since I am a non-Eu I would like to go for a course that provides flexibility at the same time to extend beyond the first 12 months just in case my plan A of Entrepreneurship doesn't work out or if I feel I have more to learn, etc. Additionally, since I am looking into Entrepreneurship, I am looking primarily at colleges that have a good Entrepreneurship focus, have their own Entrepreneurship centers, Incubators, Accelerators, etc.

Diversity - Again, as an entrepreneur who is looking to have a global reach I would like to have my network as diverse and as global as possible. It adds value to the discussions you have during the case studies, get to know different point of views and are exposed to various cultures, economies, etc. which will help you in setting up and running your business in the future. This factor helped me to cut out top Indian colleges such as ISB, IIMs which have rather negligible diversity in terms of international students.

Lecturers - This factor comes into the picture at a very later stage once you have the above points figured out. Guest lectures/speakers, core faculty/professors, and their name in the market would help you in your post MBA career goals. For eg. I attended one of the events that Cambridge conducted recently, and I was awed by Dr. Stella Pachidi who is a lecturer/professor for the Digital Transformation course. I could see myself connect with how she presented her case and the various issues with Digital transformation.

Adcoms responses - I feel AdComs get so many requests and have so much on their plates at this point in time that it would be unfair to select a college on this factor. Though I do feel that it does play a role a tiny bit. For eg. I attended one of the INSEAD webinars and during my discussion with AdCom, I could feel slight resistance in her responses. She was pushing me more for EMBA rather than answering the questions I was looking for FTMBA. Thus I cut off INSEAD from my list.

I hope my response was in the interest of the topic.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Re: How do you choose a fulltime MBA program? [#permalink]
Thank you for this thoughtful response.

I agree with everything you said. I am also an older student (older than you) and looking for a 2 year full time program, so one in particular pushed me to an emba but I had already started the application so I submitted it but now regret it because I really got a bad taste.

Something new I’ve been trying to create my own rankings, I look up students who recently graduated and then find them on linked in to see what positions they landed.

I’m looking to get into healthcare and medical devices/pharma and wish there were rankings specifically for that so I like doing my own research.

Good point about adcoms being busy, I guess as a business person, if someone reached out to me wanting to spend 100-200k, I would answer haha.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 889 [0]
Send PM
How do you choose a fulltime MBA program? [#permalink]
Quote:
so one in particular pushed me to an emba but I had already started the application so I submitted it but now regret it because I really got a bad taste.

Which program did you finally apply to? EMBA or FTMBA? And why regret - Bad taste as in?

Quote:
Something new I’ve been trying to create my own rankings, I look up students who recently graduated and then find them on linked in to see what positions they landed.

Good point. I guess I will add this one too in my research. Cuz for my Plan B (in case Entrepreneurship doesn't work out in short term) I am looking to get into Automotive consulting job. So it might help researching colleges to see if anyone got into one.
Current Student
Send PM
I applied to Full Time programs. I believe making this career switch is going to take full immersion, networking and tunnel vision. My current job is very full time so trying to do both I fear id end up doing neither well enough. So i focused on programs that have experiential learning with hands on experiences with companies - hoping that and an internship will help strengthen my case.

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 889 [0]
Send PM
Jci813 wrote:
I applied to Full Time programs. I believe making this career switch is going to take full immersion, networking and tunnel vision. My current job is very full time so trying to do both I fear id end up doing neither well enough. So i focused on programs that have experiential learning with hands on experiences with companies - hoping that and an internship will help strengthen my case.

Gotcha!! I cut the internship part out of my expectations since the companies for internship do not prefer older candidates for it.
Current Student
Send PM
Hopefully they’ll be ok with me! I’m seeking out programs that have experience with older students and career changers.

BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Some of these ideas are imbedded in the GMATClub MBA Ranking -- https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatclub-off ... 35846.html

Hopefully this helps.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
Send PM
Expert Reply
Jci813 wrote:
I hope this question gets some traction, because I think its a topic that does not get enough discussion. I know that MBA programs want to stay competitive, and we have to jump through some hoops. But when do we, as future business leaders, stop being applicants and start behaving like savvy consumers?

For example, every school says they have a welcoming, collaborative environment. In my application process, I saw that was indeed the case with some, but some don't event respond to an email. I am not complaining, but am asking how much do we take this into consideration? I want a school that will help me pivot and propel my career.. I edited down my list to schools I felt positiviely about (some more than others) and didn't focus as much on ranking as some other people.

I would love to get a thread going about where you chose to apply to and why and any personal experiences with the adcom that made you feel that way.

Hi there,
School environment is definitely important, as you are going to spend 2 years of your life there, and you should be in a place that fits your values and characteristics.
If you are looking to learn more about the "inside stuff" of the top programs, we recommend reading the "Inside The MBA" series we posted on our blog this year with interviews with adcom members at the top programs, for example:
HBS
Wharton
UCLA
Haas
Kellogg
INSEAD
MIT

If rankings is not something you focus on, let me offer another point - think about the different specializations of MBA programs, and find one that fits your career goals.
Students have the opportunity to either pursue a general management program or complete a specialization as part of the MBA program. Specializations are a matter of choice, and all students receive the same MBA education regardless of whether or not they complete a specialization. Students should consider their career goals and professional development in settling on a specialization.
The standard specializations are marketing, finance, human resources, IT/IS, operations and entrepreneurship; but these are rapidly being joined by more specific subjects, such as corporate social responsibility, wine management, football industries, luxury brand management, hotel management, etc.

You can read more about MBA specializations here: https://www.aringo.com/mba-specializations/
Current Student
Send PM
Love it thank you.

Current Student
Send PM
The only school on my list that I know is still not ranked but I have such a good feeling about it Johns Hopkins Carey - with their redesigned curriculum. At some point would be great to have more resources of rankings for mba in healthcare specifically.

GMAT Club Bot