Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 573 [194]
Given Kudos: 3
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618952 [63]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [19]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Bob's produced items last week [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
IMO E

we are having two variables no. of item is not known and price is x

with bth also we are not getting any thing
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31920 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
E,...
combining two st... $30 is price of either both at x(no<=36),one at x ,other at 1.5x. or both at 1.5x.....
so one sol x=15...items 32...
2nd sol x=10....items 360/10+120/15=42.....
3rd sit of one of x and second at 1.5x not possible
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [6]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
and E

if you assume the no of items is less than 36, you get

x* (no of items) = 480
x* (no of items + 2) = 510
==> no of items = 15

if you assume the no of items is more than 36, you get

36* x + ( no of items - 36)*(1.5x) = 480
36*x + (no of items + 2 - 36)*(1.5x) = 510
==> no of items = 44

clearly the same set of information leads to 2 possible solutions
therefore additional data is required

ans : E
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6042 [1]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Re: If Bob produces 36 or fewer in a week, he is paid X dollars [#permalink]
Kudos
Its a pretty lengthy problem any other way to solve this under 2.5 mins?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618952 [6]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
fozzzy wrote:
Its a pretty lengthy problem any other way to solve this under 2.5 mins?

Unfortunately not all question have "a silver bullet" solutions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
I'm still not too clear on when it is appropriate to stop and be confident on the solution choice. I got to the part with the 2 equations combined, but then I selected "e", hoping there wasn't a constraint trick bc we clearly have too few equations and multiple unknowns. For some reason, I'm coming up on the 2 min mark after checking all of the previous out and it takes me another 2 mins (and a lot of energy) to find the exact #'s in Bunuel's solution. Is there a way to be confident without getting exact values for price and quantity in the combined statements case?

bump: MathRevolution, VeritasPrepKarishma, etc.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [5]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
If Bob produces 36 or fewer in a week, he is paid X dollars [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
jwamala wrote:
I'm still not too clear on when it is appropriate to stop and be confident on the solution choice. I got to the part with the 2 equations combined, but then I selected "e", hoping there wasn't a constraint trick bc we clearly have too few equations and multiple unknowns. For some reason, I'm coming up on the 2 min mark after checking all of the previous out and it takes me another 2 mins (and a lot of energy) to find the exact #'s in Bunuel's solution. Is there a way to be confident without getting exact values for price and quantity in the combined statements case?

bump: MathRevolution, VeritasPrepKarishma, etc.

Let me try to answer.

You have not completely figured out the main crux of the problem. You need to be absolutely sure of whether the items were \(\leq\) 36 or > 36 . This will determine (for example) in statement 1 you need to use I =nx or I=1.5x(n-36)+36x (lets calls them equations 1.a and 1.b respectively). So, you get 2 distinct equations with no basis to eliminate either one. Thus this statement is NOT sufficient.

You will be able to use I=nx if x \(\leq\) 36 but if it is > 36, then you must use I=1.5x(n-36)+36x. This ambiguity makes this statement NOT sufficient.

You can now see that there might be a catch in this question based on analysis of statement 1 alone. Now, go onto statement 2 and you will again realize that there is no basis to eliminate 1 of the 2 possible equations (lets calls them equations 2.a and 2.b respectively) as you still have not been provided any information about the number of the items. They can be \(\leq\) 36 but at the same time can also be >36. We have no justification to choose 1 option over the other.

Again, you get 2 more distinct equations , making statement 2 not sufficient alone.

For combining the 2 statements, you can now clearly see that you can have the following 2 sets of distinct equations:

1. 1.a and 2.a or
2. 1.b and 2.b

Either way, you will not be getting the same answer ---> E is thus the correct answer. But be careful about this step as if you do get the same result for 'x' or 'n' from the 2 systems of equations, then it will be C instead of E.

In totality, it took close to 1-1.5 minutes to analyse both statements individually with another 45-60 seconds to analyse both statements together and mark E as the answer.
Remember that in GMAT Quant, you need to spend an AVERAGE of 2 minutes per question and not more. This does not mean that all questions will take you full 2 minutes. Some of the questions are bound to take less than 2 minutes while some of them will take you >2 minutes, bringing the average close to 2 minutes per question.

As this is a 'difficult' question as categorized by the GMATCLUB timer results, it is fine if you spent 2-3 minutes on this question. In GMAT, you should be able to recover this time if you know how to pick your battles and move on.

Hope this helps.

P.S.:

1. Having 2 equations for 2 variables may or may not sufficient to give you a sufficient answer.

Example, 2a+3b=6 and 4a+6b=12 are although 2 equations but they are NOT distinct and you will not get a unique value for a,b. Thus you need to check for DISTINCT equations and not just any equations while solving for variables.

2. Lets say you ended up getting 2 systems of equations as

a) 2x+3y=4 and x+y=4 ,you get x=3 and y=1

b) 3x+4y=13 and 2x+y=7, you again get x=3 and y=1

Thus in this case, you must mark C as you are getting the same unique values for x and y.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Engr2012, that makes sense and thank you for your response. However, I'm wondering how much calculation we have in this specific scenario since there are actually 3 cases:

1) 1a & 2a
2) 1a & 2b
3) 2b & 3b

Without putting out the numbers is there anyway we can pick "e" without finding the exact prices and quantities for x & y given that the total number is the only constraint and prices can be decimal quantities?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Send PM
If Bob produces 36 or fewer in a week, he is paid X dollars [#permalink]
Kudos
jwamala wrote:
Engr2012, that makes sense and thank you for your response. However, I'm wondering how much calculation we have in this specific scenario since there are actually 3 cases:

1) 1a & 2a
2) 1a & 2b
3) 2b & 3b

Without putting out the numbers is there anyway we can pick "e" without finding the exact prices and quantities for x & y given that the total number is the only constraint and prices can be decimal quantities?

You are correct that we will have 3 systems of equations as Bunuel had mentioned in his post but in effect you only have 2 systems as the 2nd one mentioned below does not work as '' can only take integer values.

\(480=nx\) and \(510=(n+2)x\), meaning that \(n+2<=36\). In this case \(x=15\) and \(n=32\).

OR:
\(480=nx\) and \(510=1.5(n+2)x-18x\), meaning that \(n+1<=36\) and \(n+2>36\) (\(n=35\)). In this case n has no integer value, so this system doesn't work;

OR:
\(480=1.5nx-18x\) and \(510=1.5(n+2)x-18x\), meaning that \(n>36\). In this case \(x=10\) and \(n=44\).

But your reason for choosing E is not correct. We are marking 'E' as you will end up getting more than 1 sets of values for x and n, hence even when you combine the statements, you will not get unique values for x and n.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Engr2012, thanks for entertaining my questions. Maybe I'm dumb here, but I can't solve these three simultaneous situations as quickly as you all seemingly do. Would my thinking be incorrect to think, at a high level and through inspection:

1) We have two equations where we know x will be (510 - 480)/2 = 15. N must be 480/15 = 960/30 = 32. Ok this holds.
2) Maybe this is right, I can't tell n can't be an integer...
3) Maybe this is right, I've tapped out on my mental capacity for this question and I need to finish this exam...

E seems more likely to be correct because we only need one more solution that works and for c to be right 2 & 3 must either give the same answer a (1), not be possible bc n must be an integer, or a combination of those. I just can't see myself reasonably throwing any more firepower at a question like this so that's why I'm asking for a shortcut.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
jwamala wrote:
Engr2012, thanks for entertaining my questions. Maybe I'm dumb here, but I can't solve these three simultaneous situations as quickly as you all seemingly do. Would my thinking be incorrect to think, at a high level and through inspection:

1) We have two equations where we know x will be (510 - 480)/2 = 15. N must be 480/15 = 960/30 = 32. Ok this holds.
2) Maybe this is right, I can't tell n can't be an integer...
3) Maybe this is right, I've tapped out on my mental capacity for this question and I need to finish this exam...

E seems more likely to be correct because we only need one more solution that works and for c to be right 2 & 3 must either give the same answer a (1), not be possible bc n must be an integer, or a combination of those. I just can't see myself reasonably throwing any more firepower at a question like this so that's why I'm asking for a shortcut.

You are not dumb to ask these questions. Asking questions only goes to show that you are actually thinking about this question along the right path. As for us figuring out the systems, it all comes down to practicing similar DS questions. Once you have solved 50-100 questions, you will start seeing patterns. GMAT is all about pattern recognition and time management. These 2 things come only after you have practiced a lot.

As mentioned in my post above if you see a difficult question such as this and you have already spent 2-2.5 or even 3 minutes to reach the last combined step, then yes, your high level assumptions might work. This will atleast help you to cut your losses further timewise and move on to the next question. Your explanation for (1) is correct and the same goes for (2). For (3) if you see running short on time, mark E and move on.

1 way I see between 1 and 3 is to recognise that the equations are very different in these 2 systems and your best bet will be that you will end up getting 2 different values for x and n . This in itself will be sufficient for you to mark E and move on. You dont even need to check (2) as you already have 2 different answers.

But to close the loop on this discussion, for (3) in order to look at the values, you will have to solve the equations to get x=10 and n=44. There is no other way I see to circumvent this requirement and to be absolutely sure that you will not end up getting the same numbers as those you got from (1). But this route is only recommended when you are still within the 2-2.5 minute mark.

Hope this helps.

The more straightforward way to solve this system is to substitute for 'n' in order to get x=10. After this you can plug in this value of x to get n.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16597 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM