Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Number Propertiesx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32883 [158]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [30]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [22]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: If m is an even integer, v is an odd integer, and m > v> 0, which of [#permalink]
The fastest way is plugging in some numbers.

Can someone show how to solve the problem algebraically?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22065 [14]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: If m is an even integer, v is an odd integer, and m > v> 0, which of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
carcass wrote:
If m is an even integer, v is an odd integer, and m > v > 0, which of the following represents the number of even integers less than m and greater than v ?

A. \(\frac{m-v}{2} -1\)

B. \(\frac{m-v-1}{2}\)

C. \(\frac{m-v}{2}\)

D. \(m-v-1\)

E. \(m-v\)

We can let m = 6 and v = 5. Since there are no (or zero) even integers less than m but greater than v, we see that the answer can be either B, (m - v - 1)/2, or D, m - v - 1, since either choice will produce 0 when we substitute m = 6 and v = 5.

Now, let’s let m = 8 and v = 5. Since there is 1 even integer (namely, 6) less than m but greater than v, we see that the answer must be choice B, since (8 - 5 - 1)/2 = 1 whereas choice D will yield 8 - 5 - 1 = 2. Thus, the correct answer choice must be B.

Answer: B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [17]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 660 Q40 V41
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Devbek wrote:

Hi Devbek,
I'll try to explain.

Number of even numbers between 2 different even numbers (eg, a,b) can be given by ((a-b)/2)+1 (1 is added to include the first even number in the series)
In the current question we need to find number of even numbers "greater than v" and "less than m".
The even number after v(which is odd) is v+1 and the even number before m(which is even) is m-2. (This step is done to exclude both v and m from the total number of even integers)
Hence the number of even numbers between v and m (excluding v and m) should be ((m-2-v-1)/2) + 1) (1 added to include the number v+1)
Upon solving you will get (m-v-1)/2

Hope you got it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [5]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 660 Q40 V41
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
If m is an even integer, v is an odd integer, and m > v> 0, which of [#permalink]
Kudos
Devbek wrote:
Devbek wrote:

Hi Devbek,
I'll try to explain.

Number of even numbers between 2 different even numbers (eg, a,b) can be given by ((a-b)/2)+1 (1 is added to include the first even number in the series)
In the current question we need to find number of even numbers "greater than v" and "less than m".
The even number after v(which is odd) is v+1 and the even number before m(which is even) is m-2. (This step is done to exclude both v and m from the total number of even integers)
Hence the number of even numbers between v and m (excluding v and m) should be ((m-2-v-1)/2) + 1) (1 added to include the number v+1)
Upon solving you will get (m-v-1)/2

Hope you got it.

Formula to find count of even numbers in a consecutive series between two numbers is ((a-b)/2) + 1. In this formula both a and b are included in the count.
let m = 10 (even), v = 3(odd)
What the question is asking : find the number of even numbers greater than v (3) and less than m (10).
Breaking the question down :1) We need to exclude m and v from the total count of even numbers. v obviously is out because it is odd. To exclude m we need to use an even number less than m.
Hence in order to apply the above stated formula we will use v+1 (4) and m-2 (8). (Since we need to find only the count of even numbers that's why it is easier to keep the starting and ending numbers as even digits.
Applying the formula : ((8-4)/2)+1) = 3 (i.e. 4,6,8) Remember :numbers are more than 3 and less than 10 and even.
The above equation can be written as ((m-2-v-1)/2)+1 = (m-v-1)/2­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [5]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
m is even and v is odd -> (m-v) is odd -> (m-v)/2 is not an interger => elimate A, C imidiately

SOLVE: Between m and v, we have [(m-1) - (v+1) + 1] = (m-v-1) numbers, include both odd and even -> the number of even is half of (m-v-1)
=> The answer is B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all,
I still don't understand.
M>v>0 and we have to find a number x which is a even integer and m>x>v>0.
Because x is a even integer, x can only be (B) or (D).
If m=8, v=3:
(m-v-1)/2=2
m-v-1= 4
2<v=3; 4>v=3
So (B) is wrong.
If m=10, v =3
(m-v-1)/2=3 is an odd integer
m-v-1=6
So (B) is wrong
Please help me to explain these situations. Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Mo2men wrote:
carcass wrote:
If m is an even integer, v is an odd integer, and m > v > 0, which of the following represents the number of even integers less than m and greater than v ?

A. \(\frac{m-v}{2} -1\)

B. \(\frac{m-v-1}{2}\)

C. \(\frac{m-v}{2}\)

D. \(m-v-1\)

E. \(m-v\)

Let m = 10 & v = 1...........There are 4 Even number less than 10 and greater than 1

A. \(\frac{10-1}{2} -1\)= Fraction number....Eliminate

B. \(\frac{10-1-1}{2}\) = 4.........................Keep

C. \(\frac{10-1}{2}\) = Fraction...................Eliminate

D. \(10-1-1\) = 8........................................Eliminate

E. \(10-1\)=9.............................................Eliminate

Hi, I am not really sure why are you canceling out Choice D. I thought the question require us to find an EVEN integer that is LESS than m but GREATER than v? If you use m =10, v=1, isn't 8 fulfill this condition as well? since 8 is an even integer <10 but >1?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31969 [5]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
xlgoh1992 wrote:
Mo2men wrote:
carcass wrote:

A. \(\frac{m-v}{2} -1\)

B. \(\frac{m-v-1}{2}\)

C. \(\frac{m-v}{2}\)

D. \(m-v-1\)

E. \(m-v\)

Let m = 10 & v = 1...........There are 4 Even number less than 10 and greater than 1

A. \(\frac{10-1}{2} -1\)= Fraction number....Eliminate

B. \(\frac{10-1-1}{2}\) = 4.........................Keep

C. \(\frac{10-1}{2}\) = Fraction...................Eliminate

D. \(10-1-1\) = 8........................................Eliminate

E. \(10-1\)=9.............................................Eliminate

Hi, I am not really sure why are you canceling out Choice D. I thought the question require us to find an EVEN integer that is LESS than m but GREATER than v? If you use m =10, v=1, isn't 8 fulfill this condition as well? since 8 is an even integer <10 but >1?

HI..

we rae looking for NUMBERS of even numbers between v and m..
if v=1 and m=10, even integers are 2,4,6,8.. HOW many 4

so our answer should be 4

8 is ONE of the even integer BUT we are looking for NUMBERS of even integers between v and m
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [1]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
If m is an even integer, v is an odd integer, and m > v> 0, which of [#permalink]
Bunuel niks18 pushpitkc chetan2u VeritasPrepKarishma

Usually in a PS if I take numbers satisfying the property given in question stem
(here even/odd) I am usually left with only one answer choice. Here as suggested by
ScottTargetTestPrep I had to further narrow down my options from 2 to 1 by taking more
set of numbers. Is there any other time efficient way to come to OA?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31969 [2]
Send PM
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
Bunuel niks18 pushpitkc chetan2u VeritasPrepKarishma

Usually in a PS if I take numbers satisfying the property given in question stem
(here even/odd) I am usually left with only one answer choice. Here as suggested by
ScottTargetTestPrep I had to further narrow down my options from 2 to 1 by taking more
set of numbers. Is there any other time efficient way to come to OA?

to find the number of items between x and y inclusive, it is x-y+1..
say between 2 and 7... 7-2+1=6..... 2,3,4,5,6,7
so if we have consecutive numbers starting with O/E and finishing with E/O... half of them will be odd and half even
so here m is even so m-1 is odd and v is odd so v+1 will be even..
numbers between m-1 and v+1 = m-1-(v+1)+1 = m-1-v-1+1=m-v-1..
half will be even and half odd
so \(\frac{m-v-1}{2}\)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
carcass wrote:

A. \(\frac{m-v}{2} -1\)

B. \(\frac{m-v-1}{2}\)

C. \(\frac{m-v}{2}\)

D. \(m-v-1\)

E. \(m-v\)

We can let m = 6 and v = 5. Since there are no (or zero) even integers less than m but greater than v, we see that the answer can be either B, (m - v - 1)/2, or D, m - v - 1, since either choice will produce 0 when we substitute m = 6 and v = 5.

Now, let’s let m = 8 and v = 5. Since there is 1 even integer (namely, 6) less than m but greater than v, we see that the answer must be choice B, since (8 - 5 - 1)/2 = 1 whereas choice D will yield 8 - 5 - 1 = 2. Thus, the correct answer choice must be B.

Hi can you please help me understand the question? I am not clear with what is asked? Thanks in advance
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22065 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sri07 wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
carcass wrote:

A. \(\frac{m-v}{2} -1\)

B. \(\frac{m-v-1}{2}\)

C. \(\frac{m-v}{2}\)

D. \(m-v-1\)

E. \(m-v\)

Hi can you please help me understand the question? I am not clear with what is asked? Thanks in advance

Solution:

When it is not clear what is being asked in a question like this, you can always assign values to the variables and think in terms of those numbers, which will help you understand what is being asked.

For instance, we can let m = 4 and v = 1. Notice that 4 is an even number, 1 is an odd number and 4 > 1 > 0 is satisfied. For these values, the question now becomes “What is the number of even integers less than 4 and greater than 1?” We see that 2 is the only even integer less than 4 and greater than 1, so the answer to the question for m = 4 and v = 1 is “there is only one even integer between 4 and 1.”

As another example, let’s let m = 10 and v = 5. Again, 10 is even, 5 is odd and we have 10 > 5 > 0. In this case, the question is “What is the number of even integers less than 10 and greater than 5?” Well, there are two such integers: 8 and 6. The answer when m = 10 and v = 5 is “there are two such integers.”

Using the above examples (in addition to the ones I provided in my solution), we understand that we are being asked for the number of even integers between m and v, not inclusive.

To determine the answer, we can also use the new numbers I provided. For instance, if we choose to use m = 4 and v = 1, we need to determine which answer choice gives us 1 when we substitute m = 4 and v = 1. Substituting these values for m and v in the expressions given in the answer choices, we obtain 1/2, 1, 3/2, 2, and 3. As you can see, only the expression in answer choice B results in 1 when we substitute m = 4 and v = 1. That’s why B is the answer.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
Send PM
Can someone explain why the answer is not A?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31969 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
kittle wrote:
Can someone explain why the answer is not A?

m is even and v is odd, so m-v = even-odd=odd.
Thus (m-v)/2=odd/2=fraction

But we cannot have number of even integers as a fraction
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
There are 2 ways to approach this question.

Approach 1: Plugging values
Let’s say m= 8, n = 3
There are only 2 even numbers between 3 and 8 i.e., 4 and 6
So, when we substitute 8 and 3 as m and n in the answer options, you should get 2 as the answer.

A. (m−v)/2−1 ==> (8-3)/2 – 1 is a decimal number. So, its eliminated
B. (m−v−1)/2 ==> (8-3-1)/2 = 2
C. (m−v)/2 ==> (8-3)/2 is a decimal number. Eliminated
D. m−v−1 ==> 8-3-1 = 4. Eliminated
E. m−v ==> 8-3 = 5. Eliminated

Option B is the answer.

Approach 2:

If a and b are even numbers and a > b.
No of even numbers between a and b (including a and b) = (a-b)/2 + 1

Here m is an even integer, v is an odd integer, and m > v > 0.
V+1 is an even integer.
No of even number between m and v+1 (including m and v+1) =(m-(v+1))/2 +1

No of even numbers between m and v = (m-(v+1))/2 +1 -1 = (m – v – 1)/2
We subtract 1 from the total because m is not included the range

Option B is the answer.

Thanks,
Clifin J Francis,
GMAT SME
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
chetan2u
Hi friend! I thought for choosing smart numbers, in problems like this where no real numbers are given, you only NEED to choose one set of smart numbers (e.g., just use m = 6 and v = 1 to solve). However, I see an expert on this form choosing two different cases for smart numbers to find the answer. Please correct me if I am wrong, and if you are REQUIRED to try another set of smart numbers. Thank you :)
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31969 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
chetan2u
Hi friend! I thought for choosing smart numbers, in problems like this where no real numbers are given, you only NEED to choose one set of smart numbers (e.g., just use m = 6 and v = 1 to solve). However, I see an expert on this form choosing two different cases for smart numbers to find the answer. Please correct me if I am wrong, and if you are REQUIRED to try another set of smart numbers. Thank you :)

Hi

No, you don’t require to check for the second pair here.

You require to go for second value/values only when the values you have taken give you two options as answer. Then, to eliminate one option, you choose another value.
But here, any set of values will get you to the answer.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92948 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts