Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 23:00 It is currently 03 May 2024, 23:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [14]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 621029 [3]
Given Kudos: 81742
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 800 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: If some of the passengers of the boat Silver Trout board the [#permalink]
Kudos
Ans is C
let x members on boat Silver Trout and y on Lovely Mary.
A is insufficient as it does not say anything about other boat and so AD ruled out
B is insufficient as same reason above

combine them

0.25x=.50y
x=2y
let straut has 10 member then mary will have 5
clearly this info is sufficient to judge which boat has max numbers of persons.

C is the answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 262
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
If some of the passengers of the boat Silver Trout board the Lovely Mary instead, then which boat will have more passengers on it?

(1) The Silver Trout will have 25% fewer passengers than it currently has. Clearly insufficient.
(2) The Lovely Mary will have 50% more passengers than it currently has. Clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) Say x passengers went from Silver Trout (ST) to Lovely Mary (LM). We know that this x is 1/4th of the total number of passengers on ST, thus originally there were 4x passengers. We also know that that x is 1/2 of the total number of passengers on LM, thus originally there were 2x passengers. After x left ST to LM, they'd have 3x passengers each. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

P.S. Not a GMAT type of questions: it's neither YES/NO nor a value question.

Suppose i consider 100 persons on ST initially,so this means now there are 75 persons.Now on LM if 100 persons are there then after 50% increase the result will be 150.
On the contrary,if i consider 100 on ST so 75 left and 50 initially on LM then the result will be 75,so 75>75...NO

What am i missing,...?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 621029 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
himanshukamra2711 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
If some of the passengers of the boat Silver Trout board the Lovely Mary instead, then which boat will have more passengers on it?

(1) The Silver Trout will have 25% fewer passengers than it currently has. Clearly insufficient.
(2) The Lovely Mary will have 50% more passengers than it currently has. Clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) Say x passengers went from Silver Trout (ST) to Lovely Mary (LM). We know that this x is 1/4th of the total number of passengers on ST, thus originally there were 4x passengers. We also know that that x is 1/2 of the total number of passengers on LM, thus originally there were 2x passengers. After x left ST to LM, they'd have 3x passengers each. Sufficient.

Suppose i consider 100 persons on ST initially,so this means now there are 75 persons.Now on LM if 100 persons are there then after 50% increase the result will be 150.
On the contrary,if i consider 100 on ST so 75 left and 50 initially on LM then the result will be 75,so 75>75...NO

What am i missing,...?

You cannot consider both to have 100 passengers.

If ST = 100, the 25% = 25. Now, this 25 (according to the second statement) should comprise 50% of LM, so LM = 50. So, if 25 board LM instead of ST each will have 75.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 206
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
himanshukamra2711 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I DONT GET IT

I took an example and it doesnt give any answer

If C is correct then

Lets Assume

1) ST = 5000(Initially)
LM = 500(Initially)

Statement 1 ) will be 5000- 25% of 5000 = 3750 on ST
Statement 2 ) will be 500 + 50% of 500 = 750 on LM

Hence ST wins

2) ST = 500(Initially)
LM = 600(Initially)

Statement 1 ) will be 500- 25% of 500 = 375 on ST
Statement 2 ) will be 600 + 50% of 600 = 900 on LM

Hence LM wins

Can u explain why this example doesnt hold? Am I missing something?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 621029 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
rocko911 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I DONT GET IT

If C is correct then

Lets Assume

1) ST = 5000(Initially)
LM = 500(Initially)

Hence ST wins

2) ST = 500(Initially)
LM = 600(Initially)

Hence LM wins

You cannot arbitrarily assume values for BOTH ST and LM. If you assume some value for ST it will define specific value for LM because 1/4 of ST = 1/2 of LM.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 206
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
rocko911 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I DONT GET IT

If C is correct then

Lets Assume

1) ST = 5000(Initially)
LM = 500(Initially)

Hence ST wins

2) ST = 500(Initially)
LM = 600(Initially)

Hence LM wins

You cannot arbitrarily assume values for BOTH ST and LM. If you assume some value for ST it will define specific value for LM because 1/4 of ST = 1/2 of LM.

Hope it's clear.

Thanks but i hope i dont encounter such question
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6309 [0]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Expert Reply
nidhi12 wrote:

(1) The Silver Trout will have 25% fewer passengers than it currently has.
(2) The Lovely Mary will have 50% more passengers than it currently has.

We need to determine which boat, Silver Trout or Lovely Mary, will have more passengers if some of the passengers of the Silver Trout board the Lovely Mary instead.

Statement One Alone:

The Silver Trout will have 25% fewer passengers than it currently has.

This means the Silver Trout will have 75% of the passengers it currently has; however, without knowing anything about the Lovely Mary, we can’t answer the question. Statement one alone is not sufficient.

Statement Two Alone:

The Lovely Mary will have 50% more passengers than it currently has.

This means the Lovely Mary will have 150% of the passengers it currently has; however, without knowing anything about the Silver Trout, we can’t answer the question. Statement two alone is not sufficient.

Statements One and Two Together:

Let’s let S = the number of passengers the Silver Trout currently has and L = the number of passengers the Lovely Mary currently has. From both statements, we see that 0.25S = 0.50L since when 25% of the passengers on the Silver Trout board the Lovely Mary, the Lovely Mary gains 50% more passengers. Multiply both sides of the equation by 4 and we have S = 2L. Furthermore, if 25% of the passengers on the Silver Trout board the Lovely Mary instead, the Silver Trout will have 0.75S passengers and the Lovely Mary will have 1.5L passengers. However, since S = 2L, 0.75S = 0.75(2L) = 1.5L. We see that the Silver Trout will also have 1.5L passengers, which is the same number of passengers the Lovely Mary will have.

Answer: C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 194
Schools: IIM-A"19
Send PM
Hello All,

This is the way I understand
A has 400 passengers and 25% left, so it has 300
B is now 50% more than early means 100 is 50% of it early count. So its early count was 200. Now it has 300 and both have same.
Answer C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 168
Send PM
If both of them have the same number of passengers, we wont be able to answer which is greater

Answer should be E?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 409
Send PM
If some of the passengers of the boat Silver Trout board the [#permalink]
@bb@Bunuel@GMATNinjaBunuel
Anirudddh wrote:
If both of them have the same number of passengers, we wont be able to answer which is greater

Answer should be E?

I have the same doubt. Since the question still remains unanswered that which boat has higher number. Can someone please explain why C holds here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
If some of the passengers of the boat Silver Trout board the [#permalink]
I don't get it. They both have the equal number of passengers. The question is clearly asking - which one has more? Then there is no unique answer. Why is it C. It must be E

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Schools: Marshall
GPA: 3.93
Send PM
ST = 100 Passengers less 25% = 75 remaining
100-25 = 75

LM = Y + 25 = 1.5Y (+25 passenger from ST, and = 150% or 1.5Y)
25 = 0.5Y
Y = 50
50 + 25 = 75
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
93025 posts