Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GRE 1: Q740 V640
GPA: 3.7
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [1]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: If you can't get into a Top 5, don't even bother! [#permalink]
Kudos
His argument is simply trite. I can provide a bit more insight into what startups actually would look for (I work in a tech startup and often times work on projects in leading VC firms in the Bay Area)

Granted, bschools will not teach you technical skills (e.g. script writing and programming) relevant in the tech startup field. Unless bschools quickly adapt its curriculum, students going forward will just need to be dynamic and adapt to the demand of future employers. The founders at the company, a pretty successful "brand-name" startup, I am at still highly value a bschool education, since essentially it is a filtering process to source candidates who are eager to prove his/her mettle. A better argument would be that bschool students must stay ahead of curb and anticipate demand in skills, and not just assume 2 years at school is all that would be required to get that sweet high paying job.

Case in point: I came into my current with only a quant finance background, mainly from bulge m&a, and I realized that I would need to at least understand data and programming architecture in order to fully grasp the firm's business model. I took free online courses on postgresql, python, and C++ and, bam, I'm back in the game. Although I'll never be as skilled as CS majors, having a grasp of technical skills played a key role in my success at my current position.

Overall, this article is poorly written, cites irrelevant and wrong "facts," and takes far too many illogical assumptions.

Let's all assume his quant score far outweighed is verbal score...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Well, good thing he's a Wharton alum instead of an HBS alum (although he's likely a Wharton alum because he got rejected by HBS), otherwise he might be writing "If you can't get into HBS/Stanford don't even bother!"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
cheetarah1980 wrote:
I have yet to hear any 2nd years in the FT program say they felt at any disadvantage because PT students were also in the recruiting pool.

Give it time. You will.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
kingfalcon wrote:
packet82 wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:
Part of the reason MBA brand is getting diluted is because of the several programs offered by 1 school. If they want to create PT MBA then they should decrease the number of FT enrollment. Imagine 2000 Booth MBAs graduating every year, won't that dilute the brand. Princeton is still highly regarded because it has not climbed up the MBA bandwagon. The closest thing it offer is Masters in Finance and the program has around 25 students every year.

The MBA as a whole is getting diluted because every two-bit former community college has one now and they accept anyone with a pulse, not because Booth graduates a lot of students. As long as the school allows only qualified students in to their program, it will remain highly regarded. Haas for example is working on an expansion to bring their full time class from 240 to around 300 students. I highly doubt they're going to drop in the ranking as a result.

As long as the students are qualified, a larger program can be an advantage since the network will be larger.

Not disputing any of your points, but do you have a source for Haas' plans to expand? I had heard Yale SOM was planning to expand, but hadn't heard the same of Haas.

Here you go:

https://poetsandquants.com/2012/02/24/ha ... expansion/

They're looking at building a new $50 million building that would allow the program to expand to 300 FT students.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
UTMPA2011 wrote:
I am still stuck on how this guy earned a Wharton MBA. The poor logic and reasoning skills demonstrated by this article remind me of USA Today reporting.

The content is poorly supported with unverifiable facts. There are also many inconsistencies throughout the article regarding the "value" of the MBA, which is not clearly defined. The broadness of the discussion of the value of an MBA as a whole only serves to weaken the overall argument because it undermines the statement that top 5 programs are still valuable.

The startup focus of the article is way off in left field and is very limiting in support of his conclusion. I was also surprised to read the statement: “However, most MBA programs do a poor job of preparing students for the uncertain economic reality we live in today, which makes an MBA a poor investment.” What? There is no support for this viewpoint. I am shocked that he does not provide a concrete example with a more realistic time horizon for evaluating “value”. Laughable. The scariest part of this article is that he was part of the adcom. Yikes.

I want to include this article as support for an application to Wharton. I would include an analysis of the logical errors and a statement that I would never embarrass Wharton like this guy.

An AWA-6 quality analysis indeed. :wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
I don't think this article shows the multiple advantages and disadvantages of an MBA.

First, whether or not someone needs the MBA depends greatly on the situation of the person. Are they making a career change? (you can't easily change functions without an MBA); did they go to an elite university? (part of the advantage of an MBA is the network - if someone doesn't have that from undergraduate they may need it from grad school); do they want to kick off their career in a job that does require an MBA? (e.g. finance, consulting, brand management?)

Second, let's talk about startups:
--1) Many of the jobs that don't "require" MBAs do require the skills that one gains from working at a top company that requires an MBA. If you look at a lot of successful startups you will find that there are many ex consultants and bankers. Many of the jobs - particularly those at the top - respect the learnings one gets at a place like McKinsey (which requires an MBA past the analyst level). Find a job description at a startup that sounds interesting to you and look at the profile requirements.
--2) Startups don't pay much - employees make money from the equity IF it pans out (and many don't) so having a good chunk of change in the bank is often a prerequisite to working at a startup- especially if one is supporting a family
--3) An MBA can often help someone kick-start their company. Many programs have programs to enable one to start their company during school with funding and support - which often increases the chance of success
--4) Personally I have never heard of people "hiding" the fact that they have an MBA. Yes - at anyplace (startup or corporate) some people will have a chip on their shoulder but they are the ones with the issue - not a good reason to skip the MBA. Also - nobody runs around "talking" about their MBA. You talk about it in the interview and that's it. I don't recommend bragging about anything - it doesn't make for good relationship building

Third, let's talk about the network
--1) One of the biggest advantages of the MBA is the network you build (within your class and by virtue of having gone to the school). I graduated in 2006 and most of my jobs since then have been acquired by talking to an alumnus (in my year or not). Almost anyone who went to CBS (not on his list) will pick up the phone for a quick conversation about a potential job. Want to start a company? Your biggest source of help and potentially funding comes from this network.

Fourth, let's talk about rankings:
1) While I do agree that the value of an MBA declines with the rank - I think it's a bit harsh to say there is no point unless you go to a top five school (I would also question his choice of top 5; I personally turned down Kellogg for Columbia as I thought the latter was a better fit for me). In fact the schools don't even define a top five - they refer to the "top" as the M7.
2) While I do agree that for some people it is better not to go unless they get into a top school (though I usually recommend top ten) it is situation dependent. There are many reasons for getting an MBA and many companies like MBAs from different schools (want to live in Texas? I would highly recommend a McCombs MBA - the network is amazing!).

In short, I think it is a bit short-sighted to state there is no need for an MBA - and that it is only worthwhile from five specific schools. I don't think the MBA is for everyone. I often discourage potential Clients from applying to safety schools - but like most things in life it is important to discuss in context.

If you are considering an MBA and don't know if it is right for you, I offer free consultations and am happy to discuss your specific situation. pamela@jaffeadvantage.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
UTMPA2011 wrote:
I am still stuck on how this guy earned a Wharton MBA. The poor logic and reasoning skills demonstrated by this article remind me of USA Today reporting.

The content is poorly supported with unverifiable facts. There are also many inconsistencies throughout the article regarding the "value" of the MBA, which is not clearly defined. The broadness of the discussion of the value of an MBA as a whole only serves to weaken the overall argument because it undermines the statement that top 5 programs are still valuable.

The startup focus of the article is way off in left field and is very limiting in support of his conclusion. I was also surprised to read the statement: “However, most MBA programs do a poor job of preparing students for the uncertain economic reality we live in today, which makes an MBA a poor investment.” What? There is no support for this viewpoint. I am shocked that he does not provide a concrete example with a more realistic time horizon for evaluating “value”. Laughable. The scariest part of this article is that he was part of the adcom. Yikes.

I want to include this article as support for an application to Wharton. I would include an analysis of the logical errors and a statement that I would never embarrass Wharton like this guy.

+1. I was thinking the same thing. How can someone go to Wharton and cite one (horribly misconstrued) fact about Stanford's employment rate in an article making a sweeping statement about ALL MBA PROGRAMS EVER! Maybe this guy should go back to school.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Send PM
If people like him are on the adcom, it's no wonder I've never had any interest in applying to Wharton. What a nice job he's done at showing the kind of people Wharton admits.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
If people like him are on the adcom, it's no wonder I've never had any interest in applying to Wharton. What a nice job he's done at showing the kind of people Wharton admits.

+1

Wharton was the top 10 school I discarded the earliest in my research process (mostly based on what some friends who did their undergrad there told me about the MBA students)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
my brain hurts :cry:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
UTMPA2011 wrote:

Your V47 is well deserved :).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
very interesting article, thanks for sharing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Since he's so focused on startups, I'm also curious why he seems to think 3 East Coast schools and a Chicagoland school would be the best choice. The vast majority of VC money is in the Bay Area. So, Stanford makes sense, but Haas isn't worth it?

To another point, if you want to get hired in the first round at a startup, business school might not be the best idea, no matter where you go. At that point, startups are usually looking for people who can put their product together, not provide business oversight. However, if you're looking to found a startup, a good business school is key. I don't know many other ways to get introduced to the VC industry and make connections with people at VC firms. They're not going to respond to an emailed pitch deck.

I'm sure Wharton is a fine school, but I've run in to more than enough of these kind of Wharton alums to know it isn't the place for me. This is probably why schools stress fit so much in the admissions process. I'd go postal if I had to deal with more than one of his type on a class project.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Mr Jay bhatti... Seriously? :-D

I must thank you for at least including MIT/Kellog to the list. An egoistic, chauvinistic dud that you appear to be, you could have very well stopped at HSW.
But then again... seriously? :roll:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
When I was reading this article I had a feeling that the author can not a graduate from Wharton. There are plenty of flaws in his argument. He might sound right in the sence that it is worth doing an MBA with a top business school, but when I saw his top 5 schools list (which by the way does not include Booth or Columbia in the US), I though he can't be serious. Moreover, if someone want's to work in Europe, it would be far better to go to top European business school, right? such as LBS or Insead.

I genuinely believe that the value of MBA is not limited to short-term outcomes, it has much more value in the long-term horizon.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: CBS '15 (M)
Send PM
At the HBS roadshow I met a local alum who said literally during his public speech - If you can't get into HBS you shouldn't go anywhere - quite arrogant but not a rare idea among alumni. Nevertheless, the point is that the top schools can give you resources which you can't get at lower ranking schools and probably at some point TOP 5, 10,20... (for every person this point is different) there is no reason to go to the business school at all and you better try other things saving your money, time and energy. At least I got that article in that way even though it has some flaws.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
polyaris wrote:
At the HBS roadshow I met a local alum who said literally during his public speech - If you can't get into HBS you shouldn't go anywhere - quite arrogant but not a rare idea among alumni. Nevertheless, the point is that the top schools can give you resources which you can't get at lower ranking schools and probably at some point TOP 5, 10,20... (for every person this point is different) there is no reason to go to the business school at all and you better try other things saving your money, time and energy. At least I got that article in that way even though it has some flaws.

There's nothing you can get at Harvard that you can't get at Stanford. Yes, the worth of an MBA starts to drop rather significantly as you go down the rankings, but saying there are only 5 schools you should go to for all careers is beyond ridiculous. If you want to go in to IB, why leave off Booth? If you want to get in to tech, Kellogg and to a lesser extent Wharton and Harvard wouldn't really even be on my list. Haas certainly would be though.

There are a finite number of top schools that are "worth it" depending on what your goals are, but there certainly is not a list of 5 that everyone should go to.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3