Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 805+ Levelx   Long Passagex   Social Sciencex                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [254]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [76]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [30]

Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [8]

Send PM
Re: In current historiography, the picture of a consistent, unequivocal de [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Passage breakdown

In the first paragraph (P1), the author:

• Provides an old view in historiography: with capitalization/industrialization came a "a consistent, unequivocal decline in women’s status."
  • Contrasts the old view with a new view: a more nuanced picture that takes into account change and continuity, as well as differences in geography/occupation.
  • Provides an example of the old view: Pinchbeck's 1930 examination of the cheese-making industry.

In the second paragraph, the author:

• Critiques Pinchbeck's argument using "recent scholarship"

In the third paragraph, the author:

• Undermines Pinchbeck's argument using elements of the "new view" discussed in P1.

For more on the process of breaking down RC passages, check out this article and our live RC videos.

Explanations for individual questions

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [3]
Given Kudos: 61
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: In current historiography, the picture of a consistent, unequivocal de [#permalink]
Kudos
This is one horrible passage where I have scored only one out of four questions. The explanation in OG16 is not at all clear.
I would be really thankful if someone explains the problem.

1. I chose B because I understood that available evidence has been re interpreted and hence new ideas have arisen.
A was clearly out. evidence to support..no
B. My answer.
C. explain why historians want change rather than continuity. out
D. explore how changes in occupation serve to counter the existing view of past period, no coz it wall already existing view that women were facing trouble/decline.
E. I simply couldn't understand what this meant. examine an area in research in order to exemplify general trend! how the hell is it signifying general trend?

2. Very hard one, but got correct.
A. Before and after revolution, sellers were men,,,,nope
B. Who were the sellers wont tell u who were the house masters....sounds good.
C. no other selling venues.....didn't say anything like that...nope.
D. prior to revolution, sellers were producers, ...nope coz after revolt also there may have been such ppl
E. women not only sold cheese but also veggies. didn't say anything like dat ...nope

3. Very hard one. Got wrong
A. conclusions were already expected, no
B. provide an instance of viewpoint that is being supesceded...didn't even understand the meaning
C. way in which historians built work on their predecessors...nope
D. provide point of reference on women work during revolution...maybe
E. effects of revolution on women...nope....sort of....

4. Again wrong.
A. women did work in American cheese making, no idea.
B. no idea
C. sort of...no idea but selected this.
D and E also no idea.

Please help
kartik
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [7]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi mkarthik1,

Explanations:

This is the purpose of the passage :
"In current historiography, the picture of a consistent, unequivocal decline in women’s status with the advent of capitalism and industrialization is giving way to an analysis that not only emphasizes both change (whether improvement or decline) and continuity but also accounts for geographical and occupational variation."

what follows after these lines is an example from 18th century .

So Answer (E) is the correct choice.

Q2:

Look at the Paragraph 2:
" scholars note that women’s control seldom extended to the disposal of the proceeds of their work. In the case of cheese, the rise of factors may have compromised women’s ability to market cheese at fairs. But merely selling the cheese did not necessarily imply access to the money: Davidoff cites the case of an Essex man who appropriated all but a fraction of the money from his wife’s cheese sales."

So even though women used to produce and sell cheese ,they did not had the control on the earnings.

(B) is the correct choice.

Q3:

Paragraph 2:
" Though Pinchbeck portrayed precapitalist, preindustrial conditions as superior to what followed, recent scholarship has seriously questioned the notion of a golden age for women in precapitalist society."

Paragraph 3:
"By focusing on somewhat peripheral operations, moreover, Pinchbeck missed a substantial element of continuity in women’s participation:"

Author does not agree with Pinchbeck studies and points out the flaws .

Only Option (B) talks about it.

Q4:

"Their persistence in English cheese dairying contrasts with women’s early disappearance from arable agriculture in southeast England and from American cheese dairying"

We can infer that women did work in American cheese dairying for some time.

Option A is the right choice.

Let me know if you have doubts .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

I do agree, the summary of the individual paragraph would really gives understanding about the entire passage.

I'm bit lacking to understand the complete content of the passage.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Manishkare,

I'm ok with Para 1 and 3 but I'm having query in structure of Paragraph2 as mentioned below:

Para 1
------
I could understand that it explains about the inconvenience of womens work during the timeline between 18th and 19th century.

Para 2
------
I'm not sure about the first four lines:

"Though Pinchbeck portrayed precapitalist, preindustrial conditions as superior to what followed, recent scholarship has seriously questioned the notion of a golden age for women in precapitalist society.
For example, scholars note that women’s control seldom extended to the disposal of the proceeds of their work. "

Para 3:
---------

I could understand that author counters scholar: pinchbeck's argument that womens work continuity in the english cheese dairying during the timeline between 18th and 19th century.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: Duke '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Kudos
Hi
Regarding question 4
I now understand why A is correct
But what about B and D?

Their persistence in England cheese......from arable agriculture in southeast England and from American cheese dairying....

So I can't assume that option B:arable agriculture in "northern"England both before and after the agricultural revolution is correct? I just thought that as long as it's not southeast England, the rest could be counted as the ones that did persist in English cheese dairying.

And what about option D: the sale of cheese at local markets in England even after the agricultural revolution
Do they not count as the ones that persisted in English cheese dairying?

Please help
I'm so confused
Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [1]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Hey GMATNinja and GMATNinjaTwo

Can you help to explain Q1 and Q4? below are my thoughts for Q1 and Q4 respectively

1. The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) present recently discovered evidence that supports a conventional interpretation of a historical period
(B) describe how reinterpretations of available evidence have reinvigorated a once-discredited scholarly position
(C) explain why some historians have tended to emphasize change rather than continuity in discussing a particular period
(D) explore how changes in a particular occupation serve to counter the prevailing view of a historical period
(E) examine a particular area of historical research in order to exemplify a general scholarly trend

I was torn between D and E and selected D. Because the passage illustrates an example of woman working in the cheese industry and concludes that they paid a vital role and didn't lose power. This counters the prevailing view that they lost power due to industrialization and capitalism

Please correct me if I am wrong

============================================================================

It can be inferred from the passage that women did work in

(A) American cheesemaking at some point prior to industrialization
(B) arable agriculture in northern England both before and after the agricultural revolution
(C) arable agriculture in southeast England after the agricultural revolution, in those locales in which cultural values supported their participation
(D) the sale of cheese at local markets in England even after the agricultural revolution
(E) some areas of American cheese dairying after industrialization

Quote:
Their persistence in English cheese dairying contrasts with women’s early disappearance from arable agriculture in southeast England and from American cheese dairying

The above line does say that women worked in American Cheese dairying at some point in time. But Option A at the end mentions "prior to industrialization". The passage doesn't explicitly say this. What if some woman did work after industrialization? I couldn't infer about this from anywhere in the passage. Hence I ruled out Option A

I selected Option C even though I didn't agree with Option C completely. How to select when we have such close options. Please help and correct me if I am wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [19]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Poorvasha wrote:
JarvisR wrote:
In current historiography, the picture of a consistent, unequivocal decline in women’s status with the advent of capitalism and industrialization is giving way to an analysis that not only emphasizes both change (whether improvement or decline) and continuity but also accounts for geographical and occupational variation. The history of women’s work in English farmhouse cheese making between 1800 and 1930 is a case in point. In her influential Women Workers and the Industrial Revolution (1930), Pinchbeck argued that the agricultural revolution of the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, with its attendant specialization and enlarged scale of operation, curtailed women’s participation in the business of cheese production. Earlier, she maintained, women had concerned themselves with feeding cows, rearing calves, and even selling the cheese in local markets and fairs. Pinchbeck thought that the advent of specialization meant that women’s work in cheese dairying was reduced simply to processing the milk. “Dairymen” (a new social category) raised and fed cows and sold the cheese through factors, who were also men. With this narrowing of the scope of work, Pinchbeck believed, women lost business ability, independence, and initiative.

Though Pinchbeck portrayed precapitalist, preindustrial conditions as superior to what followed, recent scholarship has seriously questioned the notion of a golden age for women in precapitalist society. For example, scholars note that women’s control seldom extended to the disposal of the proceeds of their work. In the case of cheese, the rise of factors may have compromised women’s ability to market cheese at fairs. But merely selling the cheese did not necessarily imply access to the money: Davidoff cites the case of an Essex man who appropriated all but a fraction of the money from his wife’s cheese sales.

By focusing on somewhat peripheral operations, moreover, Pinchbeck missed a substantial element of continuity in women’s participation: throughout the period women did the central work of actually making cheese. Their persistence in English cheese dairying contrasts with women’s early disappearance from arable agriculture in southeast England and from American cheese dairying. Comparing these three divergent developments yields some reasons for the differences among them. English cheese-making women worked in a setting in which cultural values, agricultural conditions, and the nature of their work combined to support their continued participation. In the other cases, one or more of these elements was lacking.

4. It can be inferred from the passage that women did work in

(B) arable agriculture in northern England both before and after the agricultural revolution
(C) arable agriculture in southeast England after the agricultural revolution, in those locales in which cultural values supported their participation
(D) the sale of cheese at local markets in England even after the agricultural revolution

Hi thingocanhnguyen,
Q4 is an inference question. You will find texts directly in the passage to answer this.

(A) American cheesemaking at some point prior to industrialization- The passage states that "Their persistence in English cheese dairying contrasts with women’s early disappearance from arable agriculture in southeast England and from American cheese dairying.". This implies they disappeared from American cheese dairying and this means they were involved in this before, hence, the disappearance. This can be inferred.

(B) arable agriculture in northern England both before and after the agricultural revolution - The passage does not talk about arable agriculture in England so this can't be inferred.

(C) arable agriculture in southeast England after the agricultural revolution, in those locales in which cultural values supported their participation - The passage states "Their persistence in English cheese dairying contrasts with women’s early disappearance from arable agriculture in southeast England and from American cheese dairying". hence, this can also not be inferred.

(D) the sale of cheese at local markets in England even after the agricultural revolution - The passage states "Earlier, she maintained, women had concerned themselves with feeding cows, rearing calves, and even selling the cheese in local markets and fairs. Pinchbeck thought that the advent of specialization meant that women’s work in cheese dairying was reduced simply to processing the milk". Hence, their role was no longer in the sale of cheese and thus, this can't be inferred.

(E) some areas of American cheese dairying after industrialization- It is clearly mentioned as quoted in options above that women disappeared form American cheese dairying.

Hope this helped! Please consider Kudos if it did :-)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [2]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Poorvasha wrote:
Hi thingocanhnguyen,
Q4 is an inference question. You will find texts directly in the passage to answer this.

(A) American cheesemaking at some point prior to industrialization- The passage states that "Their persistence in English cheese dairying contrasts with women’s early disappearance from arable agriculture in southeast England and from American cheese dairying.". This implies they disappeared from American cheese dairying and this means they were involved in this before, hence, the disappearance. This can be inferred.

(B) arable agriculture in northern England both before and after the agricultural revolution - The passage does not talk about arable agriculture in England so this can't be inferred.

(C) arable agriculture in southeast England after the agricultural revolution, in those locales in which cultural values supported their participation - The passage states "Their persistence in English cheese dairying contrasts with women’s early disappearance from arable agriculture in southeast England and from American cheese dairying". hence, this can also not be inferred.

(D) the sale of cheese at local markets in England even after the agricultural revolution - The passage states "Earlier, she maintained, women had concerned themselves with feeding cows, rearing calves, and even selling the cheese in local markets and fairs. Pinchbeck thought that the advent of specialization meant that women’s work in cheese dairying was reduced simply to processing the milk". Hence, their role was no longer in the sale of cheese and thus, this can't be inferred.

(E) some areas of American cheese dairying after industrialization- It is clearly mentioned as quoted in options above that women disappeared form American cheese dairying.

Hope this helped! Please consider Kudos if it did :-)

Thanks Poorvasha for the explanation!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [15]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Poorvasha wrote:

Hi VeritasPrepKarishma,

Can you please explain question 1 ?

Here is what I make out from the passage:

Till now, there was a picture of a consistent, unequivocal decline in women’s status with the advent of capitalism and industrialization. This is exemplified through Pinchbeck's English cheese making in which women used to do everything in pre capitalist era but were confined to few tasks with the advent of capitalism.

It is now giving way to an analysis that not only emphasizes both change and continuity but also accounts for geographical and occupational variation. The cheese making is discussed again showing that women’s control seldom extended to the disposal of the proceeds of their work so pre capitalist era wasn't all that it is made out to be. Also, it is discussed that women did the most imp work even in capitalist era. Then examples of agriculture and American cheese making are discussed to show differences in case of different occupations.

Now we use elimination on the options of question 1:

The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) present recently discovered evidence that supports a conventional interpretation of a historical period
No, the conventional interpretation is giving way to a new interpretation. So incorrect.

(B) describe how reinterpretations of available evidence have reinvigorated a once-discredited scholarly position
There is no "coming back to an old theory". There is an old theory which is giving way to a new one now. Incorrect.

(C) explain why some historians have tended to emphasize change rather than continuity in discussing a particular period
The historians are now emphasising "change AND continuity". Incorrect

(D) explore how changes in a particular occupation serve to counter the prevailing view of a historical period
Changes in English cheese making are discussed to show support for the view prevailing till now. It does not counter it.

(E) examine a particular area of historical research in order to exemplify a general scholarly trend
British cheese making is discussed to exemplify how historical picture is giving way to new analysis.

Answer (E)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 509
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V30
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
HKD1710, pikolo2510
Quote:
1. The primary purpose of the passage is to

The author first tells us that the picture of women's status with the advent of capitalism and industrialization is changing. The old picture (a consistent, unequivocal decline in women’s status with the advent of capitalism and industrialization) is giving way to a new analysis. The author then describes the book by Pinchbeck as an example of the old picture. Finally, the author describes the flaws in this example, demonstrating how the new analysis, unlike the old picture, "emphasizes change (improvement or decline) and continuity and also accounts for geographical and occupational variations."

The author of the passage thus examines a particular area of historical research ("the history of women’s work in English farmhouse cheese making between 1800 and 1930") as an example of how the old picture of women's status is giving way to a new analysis. Choice (E) describes this overall purpose.

Quote:
2. Regarding English local markets and fairs, which of the following can be inferred from the passage?

(A) Both before and after the agricultural revolution, the sellers of agricultural products at these venues were men.
(B) Knowing who the active sellers were at these venues may not give a reliable indication of who controlled the revenue from the sales.
(C) There were no parallel institutions at which American cheese makers could sell their own products.
(D) Prior to the agricultural revolution, the sellers of agricultural products at these venues were generally the producers themselves.
(E) Prior to the agricultural revolution, women sold not only cheese but also products of arable agriculture at these venues.

In the first paragraph, we are told that before the agricultural revolution, women sold cheese at local markets and fairs. In the second paragraph, we are told that "women’s control seldom extended to the disposal of the proceeds of their work" and that "selling the cheese did not necessarily imply access to the money." In other words, just because the women sold the cheese does not mean they controlled the money from those sales. Thus, choice (B) is the best answer.

Quote:
3. The passage describes the work of Pinchbeck primarily in order to

(A) demonstrate that some of the conclusions reached by recent historians were anticipated in earlier scholarship
(B) provide an instance of the viewpoint that, according to the passage’s author, is being superseded
(C) illustrate the ways in which recent historians have built on the work of their predecessors
(D) provide a point of reference for subsequent scholarship on women’s work during the agricultural revolution
(E) show the effect that the specialization introduced in the agricultural and industrial revolutions had on women’s work

As described in the explanation of the first question, the Pinchbeck book is described as an example of the old picture. The old picture is giving way (i.e. "being superseded) by a new analysis. Thus the passage describes the work of Pinchbeck primarily in order to (B) provide an instance of the viewpoint that, according to the passage’s author, is being superseded.

Quote:

The key to this question lies in the following portion: "[Women's] persistence in English cheese dairying contrasts with women’s early disappearance from arable agriculture in southeast England and from American cheese dairying." If women disappeared from American cheese dairying with the advent of industrialization, then women must have worked in American cheese dairying prior to industrialization. Choice (A) is the best answer.

hello GMATNinja
can please tell me what does q1 choice D mean?
i was confused between choiceD and E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

(D) is a tempting choice because it sounds good. The author certainly talks about cheese making a lot, and does seem to counter a prevailing view of cheese making. However, our job as GMAT experts isn't to pick what sounds good. We need to answer the precise question being asked. This question is asking us for the primary purpose of the passage, so that's what we need to find in our answer choices.

If we choose (D), we say that the overall purpose of this passage is to explore how changes in a particular occupation (various types of operations in cheese making) serve to counter the prevailing view of a historical period (the history of women's work in English farmhouse cheese between 1800 and 1930).

But is the author trying to show us how CHANGES in cheese making served to counter the prevailing view? The prevailing view is that women's status declined consistently and unequivocally (without any doubt) with the advent of capitalism and industrialization. Pinchbeck's book fits with the prevailing view because it focuses on the decline (i.e. negative changes) in women's status. But Pinchbeck's book (the prevailing view) MISSES a "substantial element of continuity in women’s participation: throughout the period women did the central work of actually making cheese."

The prevailing view is focused on the changes in cheese making (i.e. the decline in women's status). But the new analysis focuses on improvement, decline, AND continuity. So it's the continuity in English farmhouse cheesemaking--not the changes--that serves to counter the prevailing view.

Hi GMATNinja,

Frankly, I was struggling with D and E as well,
i crossed off D because i cannot make sure Pinchbeck's work is prevailling view,
while, you mentioned Pinchbeck's book fits with the prevailing view because it focuses on the decline , would you please elaborate further, why it is a prevailling view?

Thanks in advance
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [4]

Send PM
Kudos