GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 05:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In January 1994 an oil barge ran aground off the coast of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
In January 1994 an oil barge ran aground off the coast of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2005, 17:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

70% (00:57) correct 30% (01:13) wrong based on 586 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In January 1994 an oil barge ran aground off the coast of San Juan, Puerto Rico, leaking its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean, while causing the pollution of the city’s beaches.
A) leaking its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean, while causing the pollution of
B) with its cargo of its cargo of 750000 gallons leaking into the ocean, and it polluted
C) and its cargo of its cargo of 750000 gallons leaked into the ocean, polluting
D) while it leaked its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean and caused the pollution of
E) so that its cargo of 750000 gallons leaked into the ocean, and they were polluting

Explanations please - I think the OA is not correct!
Director
Director
Re: SC: Oil barge  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2005, 18:14
I guess there is repitition of words in answer choices. I have corrected it.

Vithal wrote:
In January 1994 an oil barge ran aground off the coast of San Juan, Puerto Rico, leaking its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean, while causing the pollution of the city’s beaches.
A) leaking its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean, while causing the pollution of
B) with its cargo of 750000 gallons leaking into the ocean, and it polluted
C) and its cargo of 750000 gallons leaked into the ocean, polluting
D) while it leaked its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean and caused the pollution of
E) so that its cargo of 750000 gallons leaked into the ocean, and they were polluting
Director
Director
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2005, 18:16
(C):"polluting.." Participle phrase correctly modifies the whole process of leaking,

(A): wrong usage of while
(B): "it polluted.." Here "it" refers to oil barge. Oil Barge did not pollute beaches. Its cargo's leaking polluted.
(D): wrong usage of while
(E): wrong usage of "so that"
Director
Director
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2005, 18:19
Quick question vithal, are there typos in choices B and C?

Nonetheless, i think it's between A and C, i will pick C though.
Manager
Manager
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2005, 18:30
C provided typos are present.

and if no typos then A.
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2005, 18:54

Explanations please - I think the OA is not correct! Ok guys i have updated on behalf of vithal.

let me aswer first. i go with C because it is parallel and use polluting as PP to modify the result of the action.
Director
Director
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2005, 21:44
I guess there are typos, but if we got time, we can correct it and answer!

MA, jpv - thanks much for updating the question (infact I answered it incorrectly because of the typos)
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2005, 01:17
MA wrote:

Go with C.

it's more parallel, and absolute phrase modify the whole sentence.

what is the eliminated subject?

pronoun is ambiguous.

barge caused the pollution, wrong!

strange speaking
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2011, 10:28
jpv wrote:
I guess there is repitition of words in answer choices. I have corrected it.

Vithal wrote:

(A) Incorrect - "while" provides a contrast, which is not needed here.
(B) Incorrect - not || and awkward.
(C) Correct - "and" suggests continuation, and "polluting" shows the result of leakage.
(D) Incorrect - same reason as (A)
(E) Incorrect - "they" is ambigous

(C) wins

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2011, 05:45
Vithal wrote:
B) with its cargo of its cargo of 750000 gallons leaking into the ocean, and it polluted
C) and its cargo of its cargo of 750000 gallons leaked into the ocean, polluting

Explanations please - I think the OA is not correct!

C wins. Present participle in the successive clause correctly refers back to the subject.
Manager
Manager
Re: In January 1994 an oil barge ran aground off the coast of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2012, 13:25
I got the wrong answer at first, but after reading the OA as C, this is why I think C is the right answer:

A) leaking its cargo- implies as of it is leaking its cargo on purpose of 750000 gallons into the ocean, while causing the pollution of
B) with its cargo of 750000 gallons leaking into the ocean, and it polluted- not parallel
D) while it leaked its cargo- same as A, it did not leak its cargo on purpose of 750000 gallons into the ocean and caused the pollution of
E) so that its- same as A cargo of 750000 gallons leaked into the ocean, and they were polluting
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2012, 15:15
it's C. not sure why, but it just feels right.
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2012, 19:40
+1 for C.

A uses while in an incorrect manner.

Crick
Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2013, 07:01
Why is the option A wrong here?

"leaking oil...... while polluting the coasts" flip the cause effect relationship right? Or is it that the verb tense itself is at fault?
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2013, 07:15
anilisanil wrote:

"leaking oil...... while polluting the coasts" flip the cause effect relationship right? Or is it that the verb tense itself is at fault?

In January 1994 an oil barge ran aground off the coast of San Juan, Puerto Rico, leaking its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean, while causing the pollution of the city's beaches.

While expreses contrast, cannot be used in this case. "causing the pollution of the beaches" doesn't sound too good.
But if we focus on A vs C, it easier to see which is the best one:

oil barge ran
A)leaking its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean, while causing the pollution of

C mantais the past tense to express the actions that happened in January 1994, and uses "polluting = COMMA + ING" to express the consequences of the action.
This is clear and coinsice, C is a better option.

I would not say that A "flips the cause effect relationship ", the verbs of A [PAST & ING (for the facts of Jan), ING(for the consequences)] are at fault compared to those of C [ PAST & PAST (for the facts of Jan), ING (for the consequences) ]

Hope this helps

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2013, 09:02
Zarrolou wrote:
anilisanil wrote:

While expreses contrast, cannot be used in this case. "causing the pollution of the beaches" doesn't sound too good.
But if we focus on A vs C, it easier to see which is the best one:

I would not say that A "flips the cause effect relationship ", the verbs of A [PAST & ING (for the facts of Jan), ING(for the consequences)] are at fault compared to those of C [ PAST & PAST (for the facts of Jan), ING (for the consequences) ]

Hope this helps

I have no issues with C. But I am trying to understand why A is wrong!

Does while always express contrast?

while can also mean "at the same time as" right?

So the A states "In 1994 ship ran aground, leaking oil, while polluting the coasts" What is wrong with this construct?

The only issue I see is that usage of "while" makes "leaking oil" and "polluting" two parallel independent events
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2013, 13:26
The correct answer is because, in answer choice "A" the sentence structure is IC,DC but there is no subordinate conjunction to connect these 2. In answer choice "C" the sentence structure is IC,"FANBOYS IC and leaking appropriately modifiying the preceeding IC which is correct.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2013, 10:17
gsgunturu wrote:
The correct answer is because, in answer choice "A" the sentence structure is IC,DC but there is no subordinate conjunction to connect these 2

This does not seem to be correct. "while" is subordinate conjunction.
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2013, 11:58
Just to add some clarification to the "while" discussion here.

"While" is typically used as a stand-in for either "although," "but," or "during." The takeaway for this problem is that you typically only set "while" off with a comma when using it to express contrasts. Consider the following sentences:

(1) While John doesn't usually like to exercise, he has been running more often since his sister gave him an MP3 player.
(2) John prefers classical music, while his sister prefers jazz.
(3) He listens to dubstep while running.

For the original problem, the phrase following while does not express a contrast, so it is incorrectly punctuated. Even if it were expressing duration, it would be incorrect.

Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/econgmat
(866) 292-0660

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2015, 20:33
WillEconomistGMAT wrote:
Just to add some clarification to the "while" discussion here.

"While" is typically used as a stand-in for either "although," "but," or "during." The takeaway for this problem is that you typically only set "while" off with a comma when using it to express contrasts. Consider the following sentences:

(1) While John doesn't usually like to exercise, he has been running more often since his sister gave him an MP3 player.
(2) John prefers classical music, while his sister prefers jazz.
(3) He listens to dubstep while running.

For the original problem, the phrase following while does not express a contrast, so it is incorrectly punctuated. Even if it were expressing duration, it would be incorrect.

"while" is not alway used to show a contrast. it can be used to show a time during which another action happen.

the key to this problem is understanding the meaning relation between main clause and "comma +doing". only if we know this relation, we can get full explanation for the problem.

there are 5 or 6 persons follow me whenever I go out of my house, I am affraid.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Re: In January 1994 an oil barge ran aground off the coast of &nbs [#permalink] 07 Jun 2015, 20:33

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

In January 1994 an oil barge ran aground off the coast of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap