It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 15:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In January 1994 an oil barge ran aground off the coast of San Juan, Pu

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Kudos [?]: 1140 [3], given: 109

Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
In January 1994 an oil barge ran aground off the coast of San Juan, Pu [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2010, 20:10
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (00:31) correct 26% (00:31) wrong based on 1202 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In January 1994 an oil barge ran aground off the coast of San Juan, Puerto Rico, leaking its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean, while causing the pollution of the city's beaches.

(A) leaking its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean, while causing the pollution of

(B) with its cargo of 750000 gallons leaking into the ocean, and it polluted

(C) and its cargo of 750000 gallons leaked into the ocean, polluting

(D) while it leaked its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean and caused the pollution of

(E) so that its cargo of 750000 gallons leaked into the ocean, and they were polluting.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
In option C, is "leaked" a verb or an adjective? If it is a verb, which thing is performing the action of leaking? the oil barge or the 750000 gallons? In my opinion, the oil barge leaks the gallons, therefore option C should be "and its cargo of 750000 gallons WERE leaked into the ocean, polluting...". C is wrong.
Please your comments.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Last edited by hazelnut on 21 Oct 2017, 22:56, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.

Kudos [?]: 1140 [3], given: 109

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 313 [0], given: 31

Re: In January 1994 an oil barge ran aground off the coast of San Juan, Pu [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2010, 05:18
metallicafan wrote:
In January 1994 an oil barge ran aground off the coast of San Juan, Puerto Rico, leaking its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean, while causing the pollution of the city's beaches.
A. leaking its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean, while causing the pollution of
B. with its cargo of 750000 gallons leaking into the ocean, and it polluted
C. and its cargo of 750000 gallons leaked into the ocean, polluting
D. while it leaked its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean and caused the pollution of
E. so that its cargo of 750000 gallons leaked into the ocean, and they were polluting.

In option C, is "leaked" a verb or an adjective? If it is a verb, which thing is performing the action of leaking? the oil barge or the 750000 gallons? In my opinion, the oil barge leaks the gallons, therefore option C should be "and its cargo of 750000 gallons WERE leaked into the ocean, polluting...". C is wrong.
Please your comments.

The cargo leaked into the ocean polluting city beaches.

Kudos [?]: 313 [0], given: 31

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: In January 1994 an oil barge ran aground off the coast of San Juan, Pu [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2010, 05:43
metallicafan wrote:
A. leaking its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean, while causing the pollution of
D. while it leaked its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean and caused the pollution of
E. so that its cargo of 750000 gallons leaked into the ocean, and they were polluting.

Please your comments.

IMO C is correct. C maintains the correct tense i.e. simple past. Moreover the meaning in C is more coherent, as it means that oils was leaked after the barge ran aground. Whereas A means it hit the coast while leaking!

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2010, 08:16
C for me

A is awkward because the three phrases have the same subject and lose the logic connection.

"Barge leaked its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean, while barge caused the pollution of......" it is weird.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 805 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2010, 09:55
C for me.

"Cargo of......leaked into the......, polluting the beaches"

Kudos [?]: 805 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, Technology

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2011, 02:15
we are talking about CARGO which was leaked, hence should be cargo was leaked.
Because you can assume this part of sentence already in Past tence, WAS isnt required. Therefore,C is Correct

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line

Kudos [?]: 671 [0], given: 70

GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2012, 11:24
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I think causing and polluting appearing in the same sentence is redundancy.
Hence A and D are out.

B is wrong since it mentions" the ship ....ran aground with its cargo leaking" awkward Ship will always run aground with something either fuel or cargo, the original sentence is very lengthy.

E is wrong as the use of " so that " in the sentence call for an uncessary cause and effect..it means ship ran agroung so that...........it sounds weird.

Hence the best answers is D the qord POLLUTION is correctly used in participial form to describe the preceding event.

Kudos [?]: 671 [0], given: 70

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2014, 20:35
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

10 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1933 [10], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2014, 14:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Simplified form : an oil barge ran aground, leaking its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean, while causing the pollution of ...
Subject of the preceding clause can not intentionally leak its cargo, therefor use of -ing modifier leaking is incorrect.

Prepositional phrase modifying the verb of preceding clause:: an oil barge ran aground with its cargo of 750000 gallons leaking into the ocean, and it polluted
There is no clear antecedent of it, further contextually it is referring to entire incident happened in preceding clause thus we need much better construction.

C. and its cargo of 750000 gallons leaked into the ocean, polluting :: an oil barge clear antecedent for its (subject parallelism), -ing modifier is doing the right job here expressing the result of preceding clause.

D. while it leaked its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean and caused the pollution of :: a barge didn't leak its cargo intentionally. meaning error.

E. so that its cargo of 750000 gallons leaked into the ocean, and they were polluting. :: so that is wrong nothing is intentionally done.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1933 [10], given: 229

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 26

Schools: ISB '16

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2014, 19:42
This post was
BOOKMARKED

A. leaking its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean, while causing the pollution of - cargo is not leaked by the barge itself -INCORRECT

B. with its cargo of 750000 gallons leaking into the ocean, and it polluted - improper placement of 'and' shifts focus from the leakage of gallons causing the pollution - Incorrect

D. while it leaked its cargo of 750000 gallons into the ocean and caused the pollution of - use of while incorrect
E. so that its cargo of 750000 gallons leaked into the ocean, and they were polluting. - use of 'so that' incorrect

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 26

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2015, 22:02

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 8

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2015, 04:33
Thanks for the explanation .... C is right choice !

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 8

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 113

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2015, 05:15
I agree with many... the answer cannot be C. 100%.

The reason being:--- the 'Comma' is not underlined.

If the common is underlined then the subject Oil barge is can work for 'ran aground' and 'leaking its cargo'

If you have comma before And, you MUST repeat the subject or at least take of the comma.

Guys, How many high fives for this reasoning

metallicafan wrote:

Please your comments.

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 113

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 20:27

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2016, 13:31
Can someone explain me why A is incorrect?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 23

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 31

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2016, 22:39
I see C.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 31

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 26 [2], given: 31

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 10:27
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Here is the notes that I got from Thrursday's with Ron session on March, 26 2015 The use of AND

See the video from 12:15 to 29:30 below

Analysis:
- 3 actions here ..
Action (1). oil barge ran aground
Action (2). leaking
Action (3). polluting
- Action (1) can happen without Action (2) i.e., leaking. But, Action(3) polluting is a instantaneous result of Action (2)

Option (A) is wrong for following reason ... Puerto Rico, leaking its cargo ...
- Use of ", leaking" is wrong in option (A) because Action(1) and Action (2) did not happen in same time frame.

Usage of ", _ING" Example's:
Correct: The pedestrian was struck by a runaway taxicab, dying instantly ... (Use of ,-ING is correct for immediate action)
Wrong: The pedestrian was struck by a runaway taxicab, dying twenty minutes later in the hospital ...(Use of ,-ING is wrong for delayed action)

- In option (C) use of ",polluting" is correct .. Action (2) and Action (3) happens instantly (in same time frame)

Answer: (C)

Kudos [?]: 26 [2], given: 31

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 38

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 10:19

*The intended meaning of the sentence is to point out 2 different events:

1st event = Ran aground off the coast
2nd event = leaked into the ocean

So any choices that indicate these 2 events are RELATED TO each other are WRONG (A)

*The 2nd event leads to reasonable consequence = polluting the city’s beaches

So any choices that fail to signify this RELATIONSHIP are WRONG (B,D, and E)

WRONG – (A) indicates that “RUNNING OFF THE COAST” leads to “LEAKING INTO THE OCEAN”

WRONG – The use of “AND” shows that “LEAKING” and “POLLUTING” are INDEPENDENT

RIGHT – Clearly indicates the INTENDED MEANING/REALTIONSHIP among events

WRONG – Like (B)

WRONG – Like (B)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 38

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 571

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 20:37
Imo C
Its in a is ambiguous and the
sentence does not make sense.
B has it pronoun ambiguity.
D does not make sense as it tells that barge leaked it's oil
E again does not make sense

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 571

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 172 [1], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2017, 00:00
This post received
KUDOS
metallicafan wrote:

Please your comments.

I think this question is hard though basic. so, it is beautiful. I dont know whether I can analyse this way in the test room

normally , a complex sentence present two actions. the meaning relation between the actions is made clear by subordinate conjucntion. we need to properly understand the meaning relation conveyed by these conjuctions.

while: is used to show two separate actions happening at the same time but two actions are separate
so that: is used to show an purpose of a preceding action
and : is used to show two separate actions which are independently regarding time
comma+ doing: this is a hard relation. this doing is used to show another aspect of the action in main clause. doing dose not show another action. in other words, two actions here are not separate but integrated.

"with+noun+noun modifier" when attached to the main clause, show many meaning relation with the action in the main clause , such as: effect of main clause, reason of main clause, and context of main clause. These relation can be shown by using " so that", because", "given that" respectively.

5 choices give us 5 meaning relations. which meaning relation is logic.
polluting is not separate from "run aground" and "leaked". polluting can be considered an aspect of two actions, "running aground" and "leaking". so, choice C is correct.

in E, Leak can not be purpose of running aground
in D, the ship can not run aground while it leak. not logic
in B, with+noun, here, leaking can not be an effect, cause, or context of running aground
in A, pullution and running aground can not be separate actions.

my god. I hope I am right.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 172 [1], given: 916

Re: In January 1994 an oil barge ran aground off the coast of San Juan, Pu   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2017, 00:00

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ] 

In January 1994 an oil barge ran aground off the coast of San Juan, Pu

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap