Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1137 [96]
Given Kudos: 420
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.58
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [22]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31969 [6]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619247 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, PQRS is a square and AB = AC. Is the area of tria [#permalink]
Expert Reply
joseph0alexander wrote:
Attachment:
Capture.PNG
In the figure above, SQRE is a square and AB = AC. Is the area of triangle ABC greater than the area of square SQRE?

(1) The length of RE is less than twice the length of BR.

(2) AS = AQ

Similar question to practice: in-the-figure-above-sqre-is-a-square-ab-ac-and-as-aq-161814.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 499 [5]
Given Kudos: 98
GMAT 1: 500 Q36 V23
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, PQRS is a square and AB = AC. Is the area of tria [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Is Area of a Triangle > Area of the Square?
In other words is (RE*CB)/2>RE^2?

We can simplify the equation by dividing both sides by RE (which is always >0) and multiply by 2, we get: Is CB>2*RE?

(1) Insufficient. Tells us that RE<2*BR. If we would know that BR=EC, then we could answer our question, because CB would be equal to 2BR+RE. However, if BR is not equal to CE, then we cannot know the length of CB.

(2) Insufficient. Does not tell us anything about the values that we are looking for. The only information it gives is that CE=RE (note that we know that the triangle is equilateral).

(1)+(2) Sufficient. 2nd statement basically tells us that CB= RE+2*BR. So, our question then looks like that: Is RE+2*BR>2*RE ---> Is 2*BR>RE? And the 1st statement tells us explicitly that RE<2*BR.

Answer C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 675 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
AdmitJA wrote:
Attachment:
Capture.PNG
In the figure above, SQRE is a square and AB = AC. Is the area of triangle ABC greater than the area of square SQRE?

(2) AS = AQ

Hi bunuel,

Could you please provide your comments for statement 2.

basically st2 AS = AQ telling us that CE and RB are symmetric then why this is not sufficient.

Please clarify.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [2]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Kudos
AdmitJA wrote:
Attachment:
Capture.PNG

(2) AS = AQ

SOLUTION:

Area of triangle ABC=\(1/2*ER*BC\)

Area of Square SQRE=\((ER)^2\)

Area of Traingle:Area of Sqare=\(1/2*BC:ER\)=\(1/2*(BR+ER+CE):ER\)

Statement 1): We are given only RE<2BR , But we know nothing about relation between BR and CE.

Hence, Insufficient.

Statement 2): AS=AQ--->BR=CE, but we don't know anything about relation between ER and any of BR and CE.

Hence, Insufficient.

Statement 1 & Statement 2:
Let ER=1
Area of Traingle: Area of Sqare=\(1/2(1+more than 1):1\)=\(More than 1: 1\).

So,YES, Area of traingle ABC is greater than the area of sqare SQRE.

Ans :C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Bunuel same question here, but I am re-posting because this question is different than the other question, in my opinion.

I have two quick follow up questions:

(1) How are you able to assume in statement 1 that CE is also 1? It makes sense intuitively, but I'm not seeing that it has to be equal to segment RB.

(2) It is not as clear how to pick smart numbers for statement 1 or 2. Can you provide an explanation for this question?

I found myself guessing the right answer for this question but spending a minute and a half trying to prove why it was correct. Any advice for approaching this problem is helpful.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V31
GRE 1: Q159 V153
GPA: 3.7
WE:Supply Chain Management (Retail)
Send PM
Why we don't need to know if the triangle is a right triangle? If it was a right triangle then the area=CA*CB/2 instead of CB*(side of the square)/2
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gabyms89 wrote:
Why we don't need to know if the triangle is a right triangle? If it was a right triangle then the area=CA*CB/2 instead of CB*(side of the square)/2

The triangle cannot be a right triangle, right angled at C. If it were, then AB would be the hypotenuse. The hypotenuse is always larger than both legs so AC = AB would not be possible.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V31
GRE 1: Q159 V153
GPA: 3.7
WE:Supply Chain Management (Retail)
Send PM
I was thinking that the right angle might be A not C. Why it cannot be a right triangle at A?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
VeritasKarishma Bunuel
gmatbusters

It is already given that AB=AC and therefore any line drawn from vertex A will act as perpendicular bisector at point P to the line BC.

Now if we take two triangle why cannot we apply RHS rule and further conclude that both are congruent.

The Perpendicular AP will be common to both triangle APC and APB. The hypotenuse AC=AB is given.

So why do we need option B.

With this reasoning I marked A as answer.
Please tell me where am I going wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Education)
Send PM
Gabyms89 wrote:
I was thinking that the right angle might be A not C. Why it cannot be a right triangle at A?

Hi,

How do you conclude it's right angled at A?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
warrior1991 wrote:
VeritasKarishma Bunuel
gmatbusters

It is already given that AB=AC and therefore any line drawn from vertex A will act as perpendicular bisector at point P to the line BC.

Now if we take two triangle why cannot we apply RHS rule and further conclude that both are congruent.

The Perpendicular AP will be common to both triangle APC and APB. The hypotenuse AC=AB is given.

So why do we need option B.

With this reasoning I marked A as answer.
Please tell me where am I going wrong.

VeritasKarishma

Need your inputs here as well.Please see my concern above

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [1]
Send PM