Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:09 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [74]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618614 [26]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 08-20-2014
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, SQRE is a square, AB = AC, and AS = AQ. [#permalink]
C according to me !
Statement 1 tells us about the base of the triangle. Insufficient...
Statement 2 describes area, but base of triangle is still unknown...Insufficient

Combine both and you have the perimeters.

OA please?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q41 V29
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V20
GPA: 3.5
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
AccipiterQ wrote:
In the figure above, SQRE is a square, AB = AC, and AS = AQ. What is the difference between the perimeter of triangle ABC and the perimeter of square SQRE?

(1) The length of RE is 4 times the length of BR.

(2) The area of triangle ABC is 75% of the area of square SQRE.

I believe we need at least one dimension of either the square side or one side of the triangle. Unless we have that we can not get the absolute value of the difference in the perimeter values.

We will get an equation converted in one of the sides.

Can any one come up with the OE. Thanks!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
1/2*ER*CB=3/4*ER^2 --> 2CB=3ER --> 2(ER+2RB)=3ER --> 4RB=ER.

How do I know to do that? How do I know to take those exact steps to get to that result? I came up with (2/3)CB = ER which I believe is a correct statement but obviously, it would make it more difficult to determine sufficiency in the 2 or so minutes we have. With the formula I got, I know the length of the base relative to the height and I can find the hypotenuse and obviously I know the perimeter of the square (the height of the triangle) Is that enough to determine sufficiency?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: ISB '16 (S)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Quote:
AB=AC=\sqrt{4^2+3^2}=5

Hi Bunuel,

Can you please explain how did you know the length of the sides as the only information given in the questions is about how many times a side is of another and not the absolute values?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618614 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Rohan_Kanungo wrote:
Quote:
AB=AC=\sqrt{4^2+3^2}=5

Hi Bunuel,

Can you please explain how did you know the length of the sides as the only information given in the questions is about how many times a side is of another and not the absolute values?

Yes, we don't know the lengths. We only know the ratios. But if you write x, 2x, 2x, x, and 4x instead of 1, 2, 2, 1, and 4 you'll get the same result.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: Cambridge'16
good brainshaker after long break)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

In the figure above, SQRE is a square, AB = AC, and AS = AQ. What is the difference between the perimeter of triangle ABC and the perimeter of square SQRE?

(1) The length of RE is 4 times the length of BR. Look at the diagram below:
Attachment:
Untitled.png
\(AB=AC=\sqrt{4^2+3^2}=5\).

The perimeter of SQRE is 4*4=16.
The perimeter of ABC is 6+5+5=16.

The difference is 0. Sufficient.

(2) The area of triangle ABC is 75% of the area of square SQRE. The height of ABC equals to the side of the square, thus we have that 1/2*ER*CB=3/4*ER^2 --> 2CB=3ER --> 2(ER+2RB)=3ER --> 4RB=ER. The same info as above. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

I get why (1) is sufficient , but in statement 2 we are taking CB=( ER + 2RB) which means we are taking CE= RB
but can anybody explain why in statement 2 we are able to take CE = RB, how do we know they are equal.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618614 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
qlx wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(2) The area of triangle ABC is 75% of the area of square SQRE. The height of ABC equals to the side of the square, thus we have that 1/2*ER*CB=3/4*ER^2 --> 2CB=3ER --> 2(ER+2RB)=3ER --> 4RB=ER. The same info as above. Sufficient.

I get why (1) is sufficient , but in statement 2 we are taking CB=( ER + 2RB) which means we are taking CE= RB
but can anybody explain why in statement 2 we are able to take CE = RB, how do we know they are equal.

AS = AQ implies that A is the midpoint of SQ.
AB = AC implies that triangle ABC is isosceles, so it's symmetrical around the altitude. So, half of it lies to the left of the height and another identical half to the right of the height.

Therefore, CE = RB.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I was going to say E, before I read Bunuels answer.

My, somewhat foolish, approach was that I was looking for actual measurements. As there were none I figured the ratio's wouldn't help me come up with a definitive answer of an absolute difference.

Thanks for clearing that out!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.91
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Rohan_Kanungo wrote:
Quote:
AB=AC=\sqrt{4^2+3^2}=5

Hi Bunuel,

Yes, we don't know the lengths. We only know the ratios. But if you write x, 2x, 2x, x, and 4x instead of 1, 2, 2, 1, and 4 you'll get the same result.

Hi Bunuel,

Thanks for this, I have tried it for a few values to confirm and it indeed does come out to be zero for all values of x.

Just wanted to understand how did you come up with this generalization without having to try a number of different values, is there some basic logic or rule that can come into play here? As it seems like the concept of "x, 2x, 2x, x, and 4x" was more of a generalization after having tried one value?

Thanks in advance,
Sagar
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618614 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
itsworththepain wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hi Bunuel,

Thanks for this, I have tried it for a few values to confirm and it indeed does come out to be zero for all values of x.

Just wanted to understand how did you come up with this generalization without having to try a number of different values, is there some basic logic or rule that can come into play here? As it seems like the concept of "x, 2x, 2x, x, and 4x" was more of a generalization after having tried one value?

Thanks in advance,
Sagar

We are given only ratios in the question, so we can assume values according to them: in x, 2x, 2x, x, and 4x, if x=1, then the lengths come out to be 1, 2, 2, 1, and 4.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2754 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Attachment:
Untitled.png

OA is C but not D(As per the Manhattan source).
Please explain without taking values and also explain why have considered few assumptions that you have mentioned.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mechmeera wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Attachment:
Untitled.png

Please explain without taking values and also explain why have considered few assumptions that you have mentioned.

The OA of this question is D, not C. And it's explained WHY it's D. Those are not the actual lengths but ratios, which is explained here: in-the-figure-above-sqre-is-a-square-ab-ac-and-as-aq-161814.html#p1330094

You are mixing this question with this one: in-the-figure-above-pqrs-is-a-square-and-ab-ac-is-the-area-of-tria-192330.html (OA is C there).

Please read the whole thread carefully before posting a question.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2754 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Mechmeera wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Attachment:
Untitled.png

The OA of this question is D, not C. And it's explained WHY it's D. Those are not the actual lengths but ratios, which is explained here: in-the-figure-above-sqre-is-a-square-ab-ac-and-as-aq-161814.html#p1330094

You are mixing this question with this one: in-the-figure-above-pqrs-is-a-square-and-ab-ac-is-the-area-of-tria-192330.html (OA is C there).

Please read the whole thread carefully before posting a question.

Sorry for the mistake. You can remove my post here as it is not relevant(Im not able to delete it).
And please explain the problem in below link.
in-the-figure-above-pqrs-is-a-square-and-ab-ac-is-the-area-of-tria-192330.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Bunuel I am reviewing the other problem that is similar to this and I have two quick follow up questions.

(1) How are you able to assume in statement 1 that CE is also 1? It makes sense intuitively, but I'm not seeing that it has to be equal to segment RB.

(2) For the second question, it is not as clear how to pick smart numbers for statement 1 or 2.

I found myself guessing the right answer for this question but spending a minute and a half trying to prove why it was correct. Any advice for approaching this problem is helpful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 373
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi guys,

I know this is an old question, but I'm not sure about one thing.

Should I assume by looking at the figure that CE=RB? Because in the first statement it just say that RE is less than twice the length of BR, but how do I know that the triangle is "centered" with the square, by not looking the second statement?

thanks
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
guireif wrote:
Hi guys,

I know this is an old question, but I'm not sure about one thing.

Should I assume by looking at the figure that CE=RB? Because in the first statement it just say that RE is less than twice the length of BR, but how do I know that the triangle is "centered" with the square, by not looking the second statement?

thanks

Since AB = AC (triangle ABC is isosceles), and AS = AQ, then CE must be equal to RB.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts