GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 09:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the figure shown, if the area of the shaded region is 3 times

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
In the figure shown, if the area of the shaded region is 3 times  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Apr 2016, 09:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

63% (01:21) correct 37% (01:44) wrong based on 1470 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the figure shown, if the area of the shaded region is 3 times the area of the smaller circular region, then the circumference of the larger circle is how many times the circumference of the smaller circle?

(A) 4
(B) 3
(C) 2
(D) \(\sqrt{3}\)
(E) \(\sqrt{2}\)

Kudos for a correct solution.

Attachment:
2015-10-22_0821.png
2015-10-22_0821.png [ 7.04 KiB | Viewed 16991 times ]

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Originally posted by Bunuel on 21 Oct 2015, 21:22.
Last edited by Vyshak on 16 Apr 2016, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the topic name
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In the figure shown, if the area of the shaded region is 3 times  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2015, 23:11
Bunuel wrote:
In the figure shown, if the area of the shaded region is 3 times the area of the smaller circular region, then the circumference of the larger circle is how many times the circumference of the smaller circle?

(A) 4
(B) 3
(C) 2
(D) \(\sqrt{3}\)
(E) \(\sqrt{2}\)

if the radius of larger circle is r and that of the smaller circle is a then (pi*r*r-pi*a*a)/pi*a*a=3 which gives us -> r:a=2:1
as circumference ratio is 2*pi*r:2*pi*a, the ratio is also 2:1 or option C
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In the figure shown, if the area of the shaded region is 3 times  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2015, 23:28
R= Radius of larger circle
r= radius of smaller circle
Area of shaded region = Pi* R^2- Pi*r^2 = 3 *Pi*r^2
=>R=2r
Ratio of circumference of larger circle to smaller circle= (2 *pi*R)/(2*pi*r)
=2
Answer C

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2015, 23:32
answer is option c.

ratio of areas of shaded area to smaller circle = 3
so ratio of area of larger and smaller circle = 4
so ratio of radius = ratio of circumference = 2
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2015, 00:41
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In PS, IVY approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer.

(A) 4
(B) 3
(C) 2
(D) √3
(E) √2

Let the radius of larger circle be B, and that of smaller be A.
Then the area of the shaded region is pi*B^2 - pi*A^2 = pi*(B^2 – A^2).
So by the assumption pi*(B^2 – A^2)=3 * pi*A^2. --> pi*B^2= 4*pi*A^2 ---> B^2=4*A^2 ---> B=2A.

So the answer is (C)(since circumference is propotional to the radius, the circumference of larger circle is 2 times that of smaller circle).

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $99 for 3 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 00:50
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 4
(B) 3
(C) 2
(D) \(\sqrt{3}\)
(E) \(\sqrt{2}\)

Attachment:
2015-10-22_0821.png

Plug in some values for the the whole circle. I took r = 4. Which means, the whole circle has area of 16*pi which equals 4x of the area. So the shaded region is 3x, hence 12pi and the small region is 4pi. Therefore the small circle has radius 2 and diameter 4pi.

The large circle has diameter 8pi because i picked initially 4 as the radius (2*r = 8).

Hence the large circumference is double the small one. Answer C.

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 08:27
Let the radius of the larger circle be R and the smaller one be r. By problem. The area of shaded region is thrice the area of the smaller circle. i.e. pi(R^2-r^2)=3pi (r^2).

Solving we get
R=2r..----(1)

Circumference of smaller circle is 2pi (r) and that of the larger circle is 2pi(R)...
Substituting (1)
Circum of smaller cirlce is 2pi(r) and that of larger circle is {2pi(2r)=4pi(r)}.

Circum of larger circle/Circum of smaller circle= 4pi(r)/2pi(r)=2

Option C
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 01:10
I had a query, From what i got from most of the answers the answer shown is '2' Since R = 2r

Although Isn't the circumference of the larger circle, the outer circumference + the Inner circumference i.e.
R + r => 2r+r => 3r

and therefore 3 should be the answer?

Bunuel wrote:

(A) 4
(B) 3
(C) 2
(D) \(\sqrt{3}\)
(E) \(\sqrt{2}\)

Attachment:
2015-10-22_0821.png
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 11:48
kelvind13 wrote:
I had a query, From what i got from most of the answers the answer shown is '2' Since R = 2r

Although Isn't the circumference of the larger circle, the outer circumference + the Inner circumference i.e.
R + r => 2r+r => 3r

and therefore 3 should be the answer?

Bunuel wrote:

(A) 4
(B) 3
(C) 2
(D) \(\sqrt{3}\)
(E) \(\sqrt{2}\)

Attachment:
2015-10-22_0821.png

Your assumption is valid when it says "outer ring" and not the "larger circle". Circles by definition have only one circumference. You make an interesting point however - GMAT might sneak in the word "ring" for a tough problem.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 22:10
Answer C.

Important detail to note and not to get into trap is the following: the shaded area excludes the area of the smaller circle so we should not forget it in the calculation. Let the longer radi be "r" and the shorter radi be "t". Then:

(1) Shaded area relates to smaller circle area as Pi r^2 - Pi t^2 = 3 Pi t^2

(2) Boil down to r^2 = 4 t^2

(3) Finally \(\frac{r}{t}\)=\(\frac{2}{1}\)

(4) Hence circumference 2 Pi r relates to 2 Pi t as 2/1.

NOTE: If you miss out that the shaded area does not include the area of the smaller circle, you willr each answer D

KUDO me plenty

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2015, 19:23
suppose the radius of the small circle, not shaded, is r1
and the radius of the big circle is r2.
now, the area of the shaded region is 3 times the area of the not shaded region:

(pi*r2 - pi*r1)/pi*r1 = 3/1
simplify by pi

(r2-r1)/r1=3/1
now cross multiply:
3r1 = r2-r1
add r1:
2r1 = r2
Ok, so the radius of the big circle is twice the radius of the small circle:

Circumference is 2*pi*r

now, write everything as:
C of big one:
2*pi*2r1
C of the small one:
2*pi*r1

divide C big / C small, and the answer is 2.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.74
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 08:43
I have a question about the solution to this problem.

In part of the solution it shows R^2 = 4r^2 then R=2r. How is this accomplished? I would think you cannot take the square root of the the entire (4r^2) as the quare only applies to the r since there is no bracket around the 2r. I.e. (2r)^2.

Is the trick to assume 1R^2 = 4r^2 ? Or do I have rule wrong and brackets are not need around the 4r^2 (i.e. the bracket square applies to both the 4 and the r?

Thanks in advance for any help!
SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 09:25
grainflow wrote:
I have a question about the solution to this problem.

In part of the solution it shows R^2 = 4r^2 then R=2r. How is this accomplished? I would think you cannot take the square root of the the entire (4r^2) as the quare only applies to the r since there is no bracket around the 2r. I.e. (2r)^2.

Is the trick to assume 1R^2 = 4r^2 ? Or do I have rule wrong and brackets are not need around the 4r^2 (i.e. the bracket square applies to both the 4 and the r?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Merging the topics. Please refer to the discussions above and follow the rules for posting.

Rules for posting: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 11:38
Let the radius of the outer circle be R
and that of the inner circle be r

To find \(x\):
\(2\pi\)R = \(x\) 2\(\pi\)r
=> \(\frac{R}{r} = x\)

Now,
Area of shaded region = \(\pi\)\(R^2\) - \(\pi\)\(r^2\) => \(\pi\)(\(R^2\)-\(r^2\))
Area of smaller circle = \(\pi\)\(r^2\)

Given,
=> \(\pi\)(\(R^2\)-\(r^2\)) = 3 (\(\pi\)\(r^2\))
=> \(R^2\) - \(r^2\) = 3\(r^2\)
=> \(R^2\) = 4\(r^2\)
=> \(\frac{R^2}{r^2} = 4\)
=> \(\frac{R}{r} = 2\)

Answer: 2

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

VP
VP
P
In the figure shown, if the area of the shaded region is 3 times  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 13:53
eliminating ⫪,
lc area/sc area=4/1=2^2/1^2
lc circ/sc circ=(2)(2)/(1)(2)=2/1
Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 09:31
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 4
(B) 3
(C) 2
(D) \(\sqrt{3}\)
(E) \(\sqrt{2}\)

Attachment:
2015-10-22_0821.png

We are given the diagram of a shaded portion of a circular ring. Let’s sketch and label the diagram. As seen below, we can also use a specific formula for area of the shaded region in a ring.

To determine the area of the shaded ring we can use the formula, where a = radius of the smaller circle and b = radius of the larger circle:

Area of shaded ring = π(b^2 – a^2)

In this particular problem we are given that the area of the shaded ring is 3 times the area of the smaller circular region. We know that the area of the smaller region is πa^2, so we can create the following equation:

π(b^2 – a^2) = 3πa^2

b^2 – a^2 = 3a^2

b^2 = 4a^2

b = 2a

Since the radius of the larger circle is twice the radius of the smaller circle, the circumference of the larger circle is also twice the circumference of the smaller circle.

Answer: C

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2016, 18:45
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 4
(B) 3
(C) 2
(D) \(\sqrt{3}\)
(E) \(\sqrt{2}\)

Attachment:
2015-10-22_0821.png

Let radius of larger circle be R and of smaller circle be r

Given pi*R^2 - pi*r^2 = 3pi*r^2 ==> R^2 = 4r^2 ==> R = 2r (since radius will always be positive)

Larger Circumference / Smaller Circumference = 2*pi*R / 2*pi*r ==> R/r ==> R/ r/2 ==> 2

So C is correct answer.

We can generalise if radius of one circle is twice that of 2nd circle, area of larger circle will be 4 times that of smaller circle and circumference will be twice that of smaller circle.
similarly if area is 4 times or circumference is twice, then radius of two circles will be in ratio of 1:2

If my post was helpful, feel free to give kudos!

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2017, 07:18
Hi, I have a question. Can I just take smart number?

I put the small radius = 1 => Area = 1pi => The shaded area = 3pi => The big radius must be 2 (4pi-1pi=3pi for the shaded area)

So 2/1 = 2 Answer C (Because the circumferences formula simplify themselves)
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 04:10
LHC8717 wrote:
Hi, I have a question. Can I just take smart number?

I put the small radius = 1 => Area = 1pi => The shaded area = 3pi => The big radius must be 2 (4pi-1pi=3pi for the shaded area)

So 2/1 = 2 Answer C (Because the circumferences formula simplify themselves)

Yes, you can solve this way too. Some of the replies above also use plug-in method.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 10:30
First, let's write down what we have:
r-small radius
l-large radius

(l^2-r^2)/r^2=3
we need to find l/r
from the equation above we can calculate that 4r^2=l^2
l=2r
2r/r=2
Answer is C
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In the figure shown, if the area of the shaded region is 3 times &nbs [#permalink] 25 Mar 2017, 10:30

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 27 posts ] 

In the figure shown, if the area of the shaded region is 3 times

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap