Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: International Business, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.49
WE:Web Development (Insurance)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2413 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Including vs such as vs like [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Unfortunately, sometimes we have to distinguish between real English grammar and GMAT grammar, which is based on business-style writing and will occasionally accept commonly-used expressions that are technically incorrect, such as using "like" to precede an example ("such as" is the correct usage) or writing "I am taller than Jim" instead of "I am taller than Jim is."

Let's just hope that the GMAT doesn't start defining "literally" as "figuratively," as some English dictionaries have already done. I understand that language is a living and breathing thing, and that usage rules (along with conventions) change over time, but that's going a step too far. :facepalm_man:

-Brian
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: Including vs such as vs like [#permalink]
arirux92 wrote:
I was going through Manhattan SC ( 5th edition), when I noticed :

" Now you might look at the including/like split at the beginning of the choices. Unfortunately, this split is not definitive. The GMAT used to claim that like simply meant “similar to” and could not introduce examples. However, the exam writers have moderated this hardline position in published explanations. As a result, either including or like would technically work in the sentence. "

Whenever I used to see like with examples, I used to eliminate the option blindly. Is it no longer true? Does GMAC now allow like for introducing examples?

I Noticed in the 6th edition, they have changed it again and now it says that examples should always be introduced with including and one starting with like needs to be eliminated. so what's the position on that as per GMAT?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
miglanisahil6 wrote:
I Noticed in the 6th edition, they have changed it again and now it says that examples should always be introduced with including and one starting with like needs to be eliminated. so what's the position on that as per GMAT?

Hi miglanisahil6, the usage of like to give examples, has been a debatable topic on GMAT.

One of the official explanations in an older OG (I don't recollect which one) mentioned that usage of like to give examples, is incorrect.

On the other hand, as recently as in OG17, following official example uses like to give examples:

Especially in the early years, new entrepreneurs may need to find resourceful ways, like renting temporary office space or using answering services, to make their companies seem large and more firmly established that they may actually be.

The silver lining is that like is present in the non-underlined portion in the above example. So, I continue to believe that when it comes to giving examples in the underlined portion, we can continue with our preference for such as/including over like.
GMAT Club Bot