Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [35]
Given Kudos: 137
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [15]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [7]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [2]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Inhospitable places on our planet, from steaming hot springs to the [#permalink]
Kudos
DelSingh wrote:
Inhospitable places on our planet, from steaming hot springs to the thick ice of the polar regions, tend to be populated by specially adapted microbes flourishing, it seems, in these extreme conditions and are therefore called "extremophiles."

A. (same as above)
B. that seem to flourish with these extreme conditions and
C. that seem to flourish in these extreme conditions and that are
D. seeming to flourish in these extreme conditions and are
E. seeming to flourish with these extreme conditions and that are

Source: GMATPrep question pack 1
Difficulty: Hard

Can anyone explain the "that" rule in the in the OA? Also, if anyone uses the sentence correction guide from MGMAT can anyone tell me where to read about the "that" rule. Thanks

HI DEL SINGH,

you can refer to this link: learn-how-that-can-help-you-demystify-a-long-sentence-138358.html

Use of that is explained very well here.

plus for your information :

whenever there is a parallelism marker such as AND(in this example) + either side of AND have THAT clause then other should also have THAT clause for the sake of parallelism.

hope it helps

thanks

SKM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Inhospitable places on our planet, from steaming hot springs to the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bluelagoon wrote:
In A, it has no antecedent. Eliminated.

Actually it is used as a placeholder, not as a classical pronoun.

As daagh has mentioned above, the easiest reason why A can be dis-regarded is because A seems to suggest that Inhospitable places on our planet are called "extremophiles."!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
The first thing is that extremophiles refers to a phylum of organisms rather than places; Therefore, we are necessitated to use relative clauses introduced by the connector that to modify the nearest noun microbes; Else, the second clause will be using the places as its subject and will thus be materially incorrect.
Second, these modifiers need to be equal and parallel;
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AbhishekDhanraJ72 wrote:
my basic concept - "that" is singular so how 'that with are' in C is right answer ??? it should be 'that is' ?????

please explain ...???

This post might help.

Within the "that" clause, the verb must agree with the tense of the noun described (hence "seem" instead of "seems"). However, when used as a noun modifier, "that" can modify both singular and plural nouns. So in terms of the grammar, it would be fine to say either "microbes that seem" or "a microbe that seems" -- but in this case, we're dealing with multiple microbes, so the noun and verb are plural.

I hope that helps a bit!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
Inhospitable places on our planet, from steaming hot springs to the thick ice of the polar regions, tend to be populated by specially adapted microbes flourishing, it seems, in these extreme conditions and are therefore called "extremophiles."

(A) flourishing, it seems, in these extreme conditions and are
(B) that seem to flourish with these extreme conditions and
(C) that seem to flourish in these extreme conditions and that are
(D) seeming to flourish in these extreme conditions and are
(E) seeming to flourish with these extreme conditions and that are

Inhospitable places on our planet tend to be populated by specially adapted microbes. What kind of microbes?
-Microbes that seem to flourish and that are called “extremophiles”
Clauses on both sides of “and”- Parallel.

Option C is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
DelSingh wrote:
A. (same as above)
B. that seem to flourish with these extreme conditions and
C. that seem to flourish in these extreme conditions and that are
D. seeming to flourish in these extreme conditions and are
E. seeming to flourish with these extreme conditions and that are

Can anyone explain the "that" rule in the in the OA? Also, if anyone uses the sentence correction guide from MGMAT can anyone tell me where to read about the "that" rule. Thanks

that rule says - while using that in a list use that for both fragments of the list.However , i argue you can do here without knowing the rule.
In A, it has no antecedent. Eliminated.In B, with these conditions i think is incorrect, you survive in extreme conditions and not with extreme conditions. E is crossed out with the same reason. Between D and C , i have a problem with the word seeming and not to mention the usage of conjunction and. 'and' is used to connect independent clauses and in D that's not the case. The right hand side of 'and' is a phrase. C Wins.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2218
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V30
Send PM
my basic concept - "that" is singular so how 'that with are' in C is right answer ??? it should be 'that is' ?????

please explain ...???
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 302
Send PM

Test Points: Scentence structure & Parallelism

(A) flourishing, it seems, in these extreme conditions and are (this scentence is a frament, the structure is awkward)
(B) that seem to flourish with these extreme conditions and ("with" is not idiomatic; "seem to flourish..." and " are therefore called" constitutes active+and+passive structure which violates parallelism)
(D) seeming to flourish in these extreme conditions and are (same reason as choice B)
(E) seeming to flourish with these extreme conditions and that are ("seeming to flourish..." and " that are therefore called" violates parallelism)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
DelSingh wrote:

(A) flourishing, it seems, in these extreme conditions and are
(B) that seem to flourish with these extreme conditions and
(D) seeming to flourish in these extreme conditions and are
(E) seeming to flourish with these extreme conditions and that are

Explanation: Here, we have three errors - idiom, parallelism, meaning
1. B & E are out --> micorbes are in extreme conditions. it is not with extreme conditions because microbes & extreme conditions are not together
2. Meaning --> "and are therefore called " --> it is a verb which routes to the subject of the clause. That is wrong. So, we need to route the subject to Microbes. So, we have to use the relative modifier with parallelism.
That satisfies the criteria
So, C is the suitable option
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
• A: it sounds ok to me and I couldn’t reject this. Keep for now. But if I am harsh, second clause is unclear what is its subject, inhospitable places or microbes are called extremophiles?
• B: “and therefore called X” (active instead of passive), and “flourish with” don’t sound right
• C: “that” in the second clause clarifies microbes is the subject of it
• D: similar subject issue in 2nd clause
• E: “flourish with” unidiomatic, and second clause starting with that is unclear
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
kinjiGC wrote:
Inhospitable places on our planet, from steaming hot springs to the thick ice of the Polar Regions, tend to be populated by specially adapted microbes flourishing, it seems, in these extreme conditions and are therefore called “extremophiles.”

A. flourishing, it seems, in these extreme conditions and are -> this is bad construction. I have "and" and I need a clause both sides. "Flourishing" is a verbing modifier modifying microbes. So we have modifier and clause. which is not correct. If I have a list, it should be parallel in its function.
B. that seem to flourish with these extreme conditions and -> with , it seems that microbes flourish with these extreme conditions. It sounds as if both are flourishing together.
C. that seem to flourish in these extreme conditions and that are -> Correct
D. seeming to flourish in these extreme conditions and are -> Same issue as A) seeming is a modifier
E. seeming to flourish with these extreme conditions and that are -> Same issue as A) seeming is a modifier

Thanks Kinjal for effective explanation. Congratulation for good score. Your story has really inspired me. Thanks once again.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts