It is currently 25 Jun 2017, 07:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Antipoverty initiatives have had to contend with two decades of econom

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Reviews Badge
Antipoverty initiatives have had to contend with two decades of econom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2012, 23:25
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (01:48) correct 35% (00:58) wrong based on 443 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Antipoverty initiatives have had to contend with two decades of economic shifts that have depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills.

(A) that have depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills
(B) having depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills
(C) that have depressed the wages of workers with few or no technical skills
(D) in which the workers' wages with few or no technical skills have been depressed
(E) in that workers with few or no technical skills have wages that are depressed
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 07 Jun 2017, 06:05, edited 3 times in total.
Underlined
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Re: Antipoverty initiatives have had to contend with two decades of econom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2012, 01:01
Anti-poverty initiatives have had to contend with two decades of economic shifts that have depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills.

[strike]A) that have depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills[/strike] - Eliminate from "little"
[strike]B) having depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills[/strike] - Eliminate from "having"
C) that have depressed the wages of workers with few or no technical skills
[strike]D) in which the workers' wages with few or no technical skills have been depressed[/strike] - Eliminate from "workers' wages". Also, the original sentence implies that the shifts have depressed the wages. D decreases the significance of the depression of wages through its usage of "which".
[strike]E) in that workers with few or no technical skills have wages that are depressed[/strike] - Eliminate from "in that"

So let's go with C.

Last edited by geometric on 10 Jun 2012, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Re: Antipoverty initiatives have had to contend with two decades of econom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2012, 01:04
Anti-poverty initiatives have had to contend with two decades of economic shifts that have depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills.

A) that have depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills
INCORRECT: can't say "with little or no technical skills." That's like saying "with little technical skills," it should be with "few technical skills."

B) having depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills
INCORRECT: again the use of "little" is wrong.

C) that have depressed the wages of workers with few or no technical skills
CORRECT: uses "few"

D) in which the workers' wages with few or no technical skills have been depressed
INCORRECT: is saying that the wages have few or no technical skills

E) in that workers with few or no technical skills have wages that are depressed
INCORRECT: use of "in that" is wrong
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2012, 10:23
how did you guys decide whether to use few or little, is skill a countable or uncountable noun
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2012, 10:28
This post received
KUDOS
I think skills would be countable. For example, "I have one skill (reading)." Or "I have two skills (reading and writing)."

I think skills are countable but the level of skill is not. For example, "He has little skill in reading (his level of reading is poor)."
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2013, 16:26
about this question, I am a little bit skeptical about the fast that skill is considered a countable work. As said before I have the feeling that it could be both considered as countable or uncountable (you can think of the number of "skills" a person has, or "his skills" as a word to mean his "competence" or "his ability' to do the work and in this case it is uncountable). Can somebody clarify this?
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2013, 05:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Jackouille wrote:
about this question, I am a little bit skeptical about the fast that skill is considered a countable work. As said before I have the feeling that it could be both considered as countable or uncountable (you can think of the number of "skills" a person has, or "his skills" as a word to mean his "competence" or "his ability' to do the work and in this case it is uncountable). Can somebody clarify this?

Hi Jackouille,

Yes, "Skill" can be both countable and uncountable. In the question's context few is correct few would be appropriate. "Skills" in the question are countable; a worker may have accounting skills, computer skills etc..

He has fewer technical skills than I have. -- > correct

He has lesser technical skills than I have. -- > incorrect

"skills" the plural form of "skill" is almost always used as a countable

Consider the sentence - It doesn't take much skill to ride a bicycle with support wheels. -- skill is used as uncountable here

Hope it helps.

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2014, 19:28
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2015, 12:54
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2016, 08:31
Hello,

Can anyone give some examples of the use of 'skill' in the uncountable context?

Thanks
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2016, 21:10
AkashKashyap wrote:
Hello,

Can anyone give some examples of the use of 'skill' in the uncountable context?

Thanks

"Skill" is uncountable when referring to expertise in a particular field.
I have little skill in repairing computers.... (uncountable)

However "skill" can also be used as countable as in the example below:
I have a few skills that include repairing computers.... (countable)
Director
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 06:12

(D) in which the workers' wages with few or no technical skills have been depressed
(E) in that workers with few or no technical skills have wages that are depressed

GMATNinjaTwo NOUN + having + VERBing is always WRONG? (shifts having depressed).
Attachments

Few.jpg
Few.jpg [ 49.69 KiB | Viewed 536 times ]

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 16:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I'm pretty certain that you would never use "having + verb" immediately after a noun. The only correct uses of "having + verb" that I've seen on the GMAT look something like this:

• Having studied for the GMAT for years, Souvik finally scored in the 99th percentile this week. --> technically speaking, "having studied" modifies Souvik, and the sequencing makes sense: he studied first, then scored in the 99th percentile
  • Having eaten dinner already, Amber immediately began pounding shots at the dinner party. --> also fine, since Amber ate dinner first, and then began drinking heavily at the dinner party

But I can't come up with a correct version of the "noun + having + verb" construction in (B).

I hope this helps!

www.gmatninja.com + blog + 1 (hint, hint)

YouTube live(!!) sentence correction session! June 26, 9:00 am PST/8:30 pm IST. Click here for the live feed on GMAT Club's YouTube channel.

Join us for the verbal experts' live chat every Wednesday, 7:30 am PST/8:00 pm IST! Details available here.

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and then please be specific about your question for us. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Verbal Experts' Topics of the Week:
Ultimate CR Guide for Beginners | Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | All Topics of the Week

Rules for posting in verbal forum | How to use search function (before posting questions!) | GMAT Club's ultimate verbal study plan, 2017 edition

Director
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Antipoverty initiatives have had to contend with two decades of econom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 06:11
NYCAnalyst wrote:
Antipoverty initiatives have had to contend with two decades of economic shifts that have depressed wages of workers with little or no technical skills.

"having had" is actually a modifier phrase and not used often on the GMAT. "have had" is present perfect.

Below are examples of how each could be used in a sentence:

Having had chicken pox as a child, I will never get that disease again.

I have had chicken pox only once in my life.

GMATNinja, Could you help to explain the correct usage and the meaning of "having had", "have had / has had" and "had had"?

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Director
Director
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 07:52
hazelnut wrote:
Could you help to explain the correct usage and the meaning of "having had", "have had / has had" and "had had"?

Hi hazelnut, the thing is that have / has / had can be used as verbs, depicting the meaning of possession.

For example:

I have a car.

This sentence is in simple present. The presence of have in this sentence does not make this sentence present perfect. Here, have is used as a verb denoting possession (I possess a car).

The corresponding simple past of this sentence would be:

I had a car 2 years back.

The corresponding present perfect of this sentence would be:

I have had a car for 2 years.

Here, have is the indicator of present perfect, while had is a past participle of the verb have.

The corresponding past perfect of this sentence would be:

I had had a car for 2 years, before it developed a snag.

Here, first had is the indicator of past perfect, while second had is a past participle of the verb have.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses these avatars of have had/has had, its application and examples. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference
Attachments

have_had.pdf [16.99 KiB]
Downloaded 6 times

To download please login or register as a user

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Re: Antipoverty initiatives have had to contend with two decades of econom   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2017, 07:52