GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 22:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Inhospitable places on our planet, from steaming hot springs to the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Inhospitable places on our planet, from steaming hot springs to the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2013, 19:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (00:51) correct 28% (01:07) wrong based on 737 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Inhospitable places on our planet, from steaming hot springs to the thick ice of the polar regions, tend to be populated by specially adapted microbes flourishing, it seems, in these extreme conditions and are therefore called "extremophiles."

(A) flourishing, it seems, in these extreme conditions and are
(B) that seem to flourish with these extreme conditions and
(C) that seem to flourish in these extreme conditions and that are
(D) seeming to flourish in these extreme conditions and are
(E) seeming to flourish with these extreme conditions and that are

Source: GMATPrep question pack 1
Difficulty: Hard

Can anyone explain the "that" rule in the in the OA? Also, if anyone uses the sentence correction guide from MGMAT can anyone tell me where to read about the "that" rule. Thanks

If my post has contributed to your learning or teaching in any way, feel free to hit the kudos button ^_^

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Inhospitable places on our planet, from steaming hot springs to the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2013, 21:13
A. (same as above) ---- places is the subject of the second clause—wrong
B. that seem to flourish with these extreme conditions and ------ places is the subject of the second clause; also the second clause misses that; wrong
C. that seem to flourish in these extreme conditions and that are --- best
D. seeming to flourish in these extreme conditions and are ----- same as A
E. seeming to flourish with these extreme conditions and that are --- that is missing in the first clause

The first thing is that extremophiles refers to a phylum of organisms rather than places; Therefore, we are necessitated to use relative clauses introduced by the connector that to modify the nearest noun microbes; Else, the second clause will be using the places as its subject and will thus be materially incorrect.
Second, these modifiers need to be equal and parallel;

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

General Discussion
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Inhospitable places on our planet, from steaming hot springs to the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2013, 13:03
DelSingh wrote:
Inhospitable places on our planet, from steaming hot springs to the thick ice of the polar regions, tend to be populated by specially adapted microbes flourishing, it seems, in these extreme conditions and are therefore called "extremophiles."

A. (same as above)
B. that seem to flourish with these extreme conditions and
C. that seem to flourish in these extreme conditions and that are
D. seeming to flourish in these extreme conditions and are
E. seeming to flourish with these extreme conditions and that are

Can anyone explain the "that" rule in the in the OA? Also, if anyone uses the sentence correction guide from MGMAT can anyone tell me where to read about the "that" rule. Thanks

HI DEL SINGH,

you can refer to this link: learn-how-that-can-help-you-demystify-a-long-sentence-138358.html

Use of that is explained very well here.

plus for your information :

whenever there is a parallelism marker such as AND(in this example) + either side of AND have THAT clause then other should also have THAT clause for the sake of parallelism.

hope it helps

thanks

SKM

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2013, 13:39
Is this question really regarded as "hard" ...
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2013, 05:12
I selected option C , but found that its wrong.
I think that the use of "are" after and reders to microbes , so how can it be wrong on the grounds that "are" does not has subject.

Archit
VP
VP
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2013, 00:18
Archit143 wrote:
I selected option C , but found that its wrong.
I think that the use of "are" after and reders to microbes , so how can it be wrong on the grounds that "are" does not has subject.

Archit

Archit C is the correct option, you got it right dude :)

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2013, 16:50
DelSingh wrote:
A. (same as above)

that rule says - while using that in a list use that for both fragments of the list.However , i argue you can do here without knowing the rule.
In A, it has no antecedent. Eliminated.In B, with these conditions i think is incorrect, you survive in extreme conditions and not with extreme conditions. E is crossed out with the same reason. Between D and C , i have a problem with the word seeming and not to mention the usage of conjunction and. 'and' is used to connect independent clauses and in D that's not the case. The right hand side of 'and' is a phrase. C Wins.
VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2013, 06:34
Bluelagoon wrote:
In A, it has no antecedent. Eliminated.

Actually it is used as a placeholder, not as a classical pronoun.

As daagh has mentioned above, the easiest reason why A can be dis-regarded is because A seems to suggest that Inhospitable places on our planet are called "extremophiles."!!

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2014, 18:52
It is really difficult for a non-native speaker to choose between A and C.
Actually, I choose A from the perspect of MEANING.
Some place are tend to be populated by some animals and therefore___are called BLABLA.
In my views, since place is the subject, it make more sense to me that place also be the subject of the subordinate sentence.
So, am I wrong?
Thanks in advance!
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2015, 02:40
Inhospitable places on our planet, from steaming hot springs to the thick ice of the Polar Regions, tend to be populated by specially adapted microbes flourishing, it seems, in these extreme conditions and are therefore called “extremophiles.”

A. flourishing, it seems, in these extreme conditions and are -> this is bad construction. I have "and" and I need a clause both sides. "Flourishing" is a verbing modifier modifying microbes. So we have modifier and clause. which is not correct. If I have a list, it should be parallel in its function.
B. that seem to flourish with these extreme conditions and -> with , it seems that microbes flourish with these extreme conditions. It sounds as if both are flourishing together.
C. that seem to flourish in these extreme conditions and that are -> Correct
D. seeming to flourish in these extreme conditions and are -> Same issue as A) seeming is a modifier
E. seeming to flourish with these extreme conditions and that are -> Same issue as A) seeming is a modifier

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2016, 21:16
The first thing is that extremophiles refers to a phylum of organisms rather than places; Therefore, we are necessitated to use relative clauses introduced by the connector that to modify the nearest noun microbes; Else, the second clause will be using the places as its subject and will thus be materially incorrect.
Second, these modifiers need to be equal and parallel;
Current Student
G
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2016, 07:18
To the original poster DelSingh, "that" is not necessary here.

Both of the following versions are correct:

1. Inhospitable places on our planet, from steaming hot springs to the thick ice of the polar regions, tend to be populated by specially adapted microbes that seem to flourish in these extreme conditions and that are therefore called “extremophiles”. (Correct)

2. Inhospitable places on our planet, from steaming hot springs to the thick ice of the polar regions, tend to be populated by specially adapted microbes that seem to flourish in these extreme conditions and are therefore called “extremophiles”. (Correct)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 07:46

A. flourishing, it seems, in these extreme conditions and are

Not 100% sure if my method here was correct or not, but I looked for parallelism and got this correct (C):

C: "(microbes) THAT seem to flourish ... THAT are called"

* I like "THAT" immediately after microbes b/c "that" refers to the microbes, so between B & C, "C" maintains parallelism.

Experts please verify and kudos if you find this helpful :)
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 10:10
IMO C
We need that in the sentence so that it can refer to microbes who flourish in extreme conditions.
ADE are wrong because they use ing form of verb without main verb.

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 06:11

(A) flourishing, it seems, in these extreme conditions and are
(B) that seem to flourish with these extreme conditions and
(C) that seem to flourish in these extreme conditions and that are
(D) seeming to flourish in these extreme conditions and are
(E) seeming to flourish with these extreme conditions and that are

Inhospitable places tend to be populated by specially adapted microbes that xyz and that abc.

XYZ= seem to flourish in these extreme conditions
abc= are called extremophiles.

(A) microbes flourishing, it seems, in these extreme conditions and are--- parallelism is missing. Phrase [and] clause
(B) microbes that seem to flourish with these extreme conditions and---"flourish with these extreme conditions"--change in meaning. It means microbes and extreme conditions are flourishing together.
(C) microbes that seem to flourish in these extreme conditions and that are--clause [and] clause + meaning is perfect---parallelism is maintained. Correct Choice.
(D) microbes seeming to flourish in these extreme conditions and are--parallelism is missing
(E) microbes seeming to flourish with these extreme conditions and that are---repeats error of option B and D
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Project Management (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2018, 09:34
A. There is no subject for the verb are.

B. The preposition with changes the sentence meaning in a nonsensical way; the verb called needs to be passive because the microbes are the recipients of the name extremophiles.

C. Correct. This version clearly conveys the causal logic that the microbes are called extremophiles because of where they flourish. Also, repeating the relative pronoun that in and that are makes it clear that are refers back to microbes.

D. There is no subject for the verb are.

E. The preposition with is incorrect, as explained for B; the present participle seeming leads a reader to expect another participle instead of a relative clause after the conjunction and.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Inhospitable places on our planet, from steaming hot springs to the &nbs [#permalink] 20 Oct 2018, 09:34

Inhospitable places on our planet, from steaming hot springs to the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap