Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [2]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9245 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [2]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United S [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
techiesam wrote:
Apart from the "for thwarting " error in option B,is the first part in option B is a run on as it was separated by a comma.

Hi techiesam, I believe you are referring to the following first part:

Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United States, since it was introduced in the 1920s for thwarting soil erosion

This is not a run-on. A run-on sentence is when the sentence has two Independent clauses connected by a comma.

The first part does not have any Independent clause.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses types of clauses, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
Schools: Great Lakes
GMAT 1: 660 Q37 V42
GPA: 2.99
WE:Information Technology (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United S [#permalink]
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
Luckisnoexcuse wrote:

can anyone throw some light on the construct of option C & E

is the construction of C better is the only thing which makes it the right option or option E has some grammer/ly mistake?

I don't think there are grammar errors, exactly, in (E), but it's a little bit illogical. This doesn't happen a whole lot on the GMAT, but the comma warps the meaning in (E):

Quote:
Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United States since introducing it in the 1920s to thwart soil erosion, has overrun many houses and countless acres of roadside.

(C) that has grown rampant in the southern United States since it was introduced in the 1920s to thwart
(E) growing rampantly in the southern United States, since it was introduced in the 1920s to thwart

If we look very literally at (C), it's saying that the vine has grown rampant in the time since it was introduced in the 1920s. That makes perfect sense, and the word "since" is a reference to time.

But as soon as we put the comma before "since" in (E), the word "since" takes on a different meaning. The phrase "since it was introduced in the 1920s to thwart soil erosion" becomes a non-essential modifier -- and it seems to be giving us an explanation. "Since" now functions as a synonym for "because": "the vine growing rampantly in the southern US, because it was introduced to thwart erosion, has overrun..."

That's not quite what we're trying to say here: the vine hasn't grown rampant because it was introduced in the 1920s to thwart erosion -- it's just become rampant in the time since the 1920s.

Nasty and subtle, no? :(

For more on the "rampant" vs. "rampantly" issue, see my explanation above: https://gmatclub.com/forum/kudzu-an-asi ... l#p1854183

Hi, can you please explain why we needed a that after Asian vine.. I had chosen E since it did not contain that :( why cant we go without a that in the sentence?
Can someone please help!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Can anybody explain why in option B "for thwarting" is actually incorrect.
I was down to B and C and chose B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
(A) that has grown rampantly in the southern United States since introducing it in the 1920s to thwart - we do not need -ly here
(B) that has grown rampantly in the southern United States, since it was introduced in the 1920s for thwarting - same as A
(C) that has grown rampant in the southern United States since it was introduced in the 1920s to thwart - good
(D) growing rampant in the southern United States since introducing it in the 1920s for thwarting - it was introduced to do some task - we need preposition to not for
(E) growing rampantly in the southern United States, since it was introduced in the 1920s to thwart - same as A

I go with C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 159
Send PM
Kudos
techiesam wrote:
Apart from the "for thwarting " error in option B,is the first part in option B is a run on as it was separated by a comma or if not is it right to put comma before since in the dependent clause?

I think there is a run on sentence in option B

An Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United States =>"Asian vine"is the subject and "has" is a verb and it expresses a complete thought.
Since it was introduced in the 1920 for thwarting soil erosion => "it" is the subject which refers to Kudzu and "was" is the verb and it also expresses a complete thought.

Even if we consider "Since" as a dependent marker and 2nd clause as dependent clause. What is the intent of the OG Explanations "The adverbial Clause Since it was introduced in the 1920 should not be set off from has grown rampantly"

Experts Please help. GMATNinja
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32880 [1]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
(C) that has grown rampant in the southern United States since it was introduced in the 1920s to thwart

the vine has grown is the perfect verb to show us the timeline of the events. It has grown until now (X) and now we have the following consequences (Y)

(E) growing rampantly in the southern United States, since it was introduced in the 1920s to thwart

1) the vine (at most ) IS growing...........growing alone means zero as verb

2) The comma has no sense, thereafter does the IT refer to US ??

ridiculous, we are dealing with the vine, not the US. The US is just the place/country/land/continent where all the phenomenon is happening NOW
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United S [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
BillyZ wrote:
Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United States since introducing it in the 1920s to thwart soil erosion, has overrun many houses and countless acres of roadside.

(A) that has grown rampantly in the southern United States since introducing it in the 1920s to thwart

(B) that has grown rampantly in the southern United States, since it was introduced in the 1920s for thwarting

(D) growing rampant in the southern United States since introducing it in the 1920s for thwarting

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/07/27/us/a-fungus-to-kill-marijuana-has-environmentalists-wary.html

Kudzu, a Chinese vine that has grown rampant in the South since its introduction in the 1920's to thwart soil erosion, has swallowed houses and acres of roadside in Florida, as it grows a foot a day. Melaleuca trees, planted decades ago to help drain the Everglades because they suck up so much water, have infested hundreds of thousands of acres.

The first thing we are required to do in an SC question is figure out the structure of the sentence.

Main Clause: Kudzu ... has overrun many houses and countless acres of roadside.

We have an appositive next to Kudzu that renames it.
Kudzu, an Asian vine that ... soil erosion, has overrun many houses...

Highlighted is the appositive. Look at the options now.

(A) that has grown rampantly in the southern United States since introducing it in the 1920s to thwart

We need to use the passive 'since it was introduced in the 1920s...' because the action of 'introducing' was performed by someone else.

(B) that has grown rampantly in the southern United States, since it was introduced in the 1920s for thwarting

It is better to show intention using 'to thwart,' not 'for thwarting.'

'Since' is acting as a conjunction here but when it means 'from the time when,' we do not need to use a comma before it.
We would write it as 'It has grown rampantly since it was introduced in the 1920s.'

Also, it messes up the flow of the sentence. Where does the appositive end?

- Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United States, since it was introduced in the 1920s for thwarting soil erosion, has overrun many houses and countless acres of roadside.

or

- Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United States, since it was introduced in the 1920s for thwarting soil erosion, has overrun many houses and countless acres of roadside.

Which of the two is the appositive? Note that the appositive can easily be as shown in the second sentence. It can be re-written as this:

Since it was introduced in the 1920s for thwarting soil erosion, Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United States, has overrun many houses and countless acres of roadside.

Hence the 'comma' before 'since' brings in ambiguity. Has Kudzu overrun many houses since 1920s or has it grown rampantly since 1920s? Meaning is not clear.
ashutosh_73

Corrects both the errors present in option (B).
Note that the use of 'rampant' is correct too.

'A has grown rampant' means 'A has become rampant' in which 'rampant' acts as an adjective.
'A has grown rampantly' means the growth has been rapid and hence, 'rampantly' acts as an adverb.

(D) growing rampant in the southern United States since introducing it in the 1920s for thwarting

We need to use the passive 'since it was introduced in the 1920s...' because the action of 'introducing' was performed by someone else.

The main issue with this option is the comma before 'since' as explained above in option (B).

Answer (C)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
In option C is the use of rampant correct ?
We use adverb to modify verb; here it is modifying grown .
For example how has the Kuzdu grown
Am i correct in my reasoning , if not please clarify.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
Send PM
Apart from the "for thwarting " error in option B,is the first part in option B is a run on as it was separated by a comma or if not is it right to put comma before since in the dependent clause?

Originally posted by techiesam on 05 Jun 2017, 22:17.
Last edited by techiesam on 05 Jun 2017, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
ziyuen, how did you get your hands on the 2018 verbal guide so quickly?! The 2018 OGs are available for pre-order, but they aren't being shipped in the U.S. yet. The book markets in Malaysia are just awesomer than ours? You're making me jealous! You get your GMAT books faster, plus you have laksa. Fond memories of downing three bowls of the stuff in a market in Kuching. Had some amazing century eggs in KL once, probably the best I've ever eaten...

Sorry, I got lost in a food fantasy there. Back to kudzu and grammar.

Quote:
Expert, can you suggest,
Is usage of word 'Rampant' and 'Rampantly', both hare correct in the sentence?

can we select right answer on the basis of this word usage?

Quote:
In option C is the use of rampant correct ?
We use adverb to modify verb; here it is modifying grown .
For example how has the Kuzdu grown
Am i correct in my reasoning , if not please clarify.

You're all correct that "rampant" is an adjective (modifies a noun), and "rampantly" is an adverb (modifies a verb). But you could actually use either an adjective or an adverb in this case -- and I think that's what ziyuen was trying to say in his last post, too.

• Mike has grown tired of the GMAT books' terrible SC explanations. --> "tired" doesn't describe the verb "grown" or "has grown" -- it's an adjective, describing Mike
  • Mike's surfing prowess has grown rapidly in recent years. --> "rapidly" is an adverb, modifying "grown"

In this case, I think "rampant" or "rampantly" could both be perfectly fine. I'll strip down the sentence a little bit for clarity:

• Kudzu has grown rampant in the southern United States. --> "rampant" is an adjective, and we're just saying that the kudzu itself is rampant
  • Kudzu has grown rampant in the southern United States. --> "rampantly" is an adjective, and we're just saying that the kudzu has grown in a rampant (or uncontrolled or unchecked) way

It's a sneaky little thing they've done here: the difference between "rampant" and "rampantly" is irrelevant!

GMATNinja-Thanks for the explanation-can you please explain how to eliminate A. Also, in my highlighted part of your post, did you mean 'rampantly' is an adjective or adverb?Also, you have mentioned rampant in the second sentence as well. Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 577 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
hazelnut wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2018

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 267
Page: 321

Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United States since introducing it in the 1920s to thwart soil erosion, has overrun many houses and countless acres of roadside.

can anyone throw some light on the construct of option C & E
option C
(C)
Kudzu,
an Asian vine that has grown rampant in the southern United States since it was introduced in the 1920s to thwart soil erosion,
has overrun many houses and countless acres of roadside.

(E)
Kudzu,
an Asian vine growing rampantly in the southern United States,
since it was introduced in the 1920s to thwart soil erosion,
has overrun many houses and countless acres of roadside.

is the construction of C better is the only thing which makes it the right option or option E has some grammer/ly mistake?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Can you please explain why B is incorrect ?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ran787 wrote:
Can you please explain why B is incorrect ?

Hi ran787, not sure if you read my post just above yours.

B uses for thwarting, whereas to thwart is preferable when intent needs to be depicted.

Also, B uses a comma before since, distorting the meaning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
In this question if I am not wrong
1) I think choice B and c are both run on sentences, don't we need a FANBOY conjunction or
a ; with the last part of the sentence starting with has
2) While in choice E 1st part is a modifier, followed by a subordinate clause, connected with an independent clause with verb has and its subject in the beginning .
Thanks in advance
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
kunalkhanna wrote:
In this question if I am not wrong
1) I think choice B and c are both run on sentences, don't we need a FANBOY conjunction or
a ; with the last part of the sentence starting with has

Hi Kunal, a run-on sentence is when two Independent clauses are connected by a comma. In both B and C, there is only one Independent clause:

Kudzu has overrun many houses and countless acres of roadside.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses run-on sentence, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Smitc007 wrote:
I think there is a run on sentence in option B

An Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United States =>"Asian vine"is the subject and "has" is a verb and it expresses a complete thought.
Since it was introduced in the 1920 for thwarting soil erosion => "it" is the subject which refers to Kudzu and "was" is the verb and it also expresses a complete thought.

Hi Smitc007, we can't just selectively do cherry picking of words, to concoct an Independent clause. has is not the verb for Asian vine. has is the verb for that.

So, basically that has grown rampantly in the southern United States is the dependent clause in this sentence.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses run-on sentence, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [0]
Given Kudos: 259
GPA: 4
Send PM
daagh can you please explain the usage of rampant and rampantly? Also, the comma before since option E?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts