GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jul 2018, 17:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United S

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: LBS '18, ISB '19
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
GPA: 3.21
Re: Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United S  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2017, 09:19
hazelnut wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2018

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 267
Page: 321

Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United States since introducing it in the 1920s to thwart soil erosion, has overrun many houses and countless acres of roadside.

(A) that has grown rampantly in the southern United States since introducing it in the 1920s to thwart
(B) that has grown rampantly in the southern United States, since it was introduced in the 1920s for thwarting
(C) that has grown rampant in the southern United States since it was introduced in the 1920s to thwart
(D) growing rampant in the southern United States since introducing it in the 1920s for thwarting
(E) growing rampantly in the southern United States, since it was introduced in the 1920s to thwart

lots of wondeeful explanations here , but i still can't find out one that
the [color=#ec008c]"linking verb error"
here
[/color]

I will try to narrow down options with it. As mentioned in MANHATTAN SC GUIDE, an adverb will modify anyting except nouns/pronouns , but when it comes to linking verbs (( grow , turn , has have ,seem , you can check the list on anywhere )) an adjective not an adverb will modify the linking verb
here grow is a linking verb so we need an adjective not an adverb to modify it
Options A,B,E are gone
between c and d , clearly d has multiple errors as compared to c
for thwarting is wrong here, we need a that construction not a "ing" construction
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United S  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 09:53
doeadoer wrote:

Hi, can you please explain why we needed a that after Asian vine.. I had chosen E since it did not contain that :( why cant we go without a that in the sentence?
Can someone please help!!

The presence or absence of the word "that" is not a deciding factor on this question. There's nothing inherently wrong with the phrase "a vine that has grown" nor the phrase "a vine growing" -- it's just that (C) and (E) have different meanings, and that's the more important issue, as described here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/kudzu-an-asi ... l#p1930060.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2018, 04:06
Good explanation on "grow rampant or rampantly"!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 19:27
GMATNinja wrote:
ziyuen, how did you get your hands on the 2018 verbal guide so quickly?! The 2018 OGs are available for pre-order, but they aren't being shipped in the U.S. yet. The book markets in Malaysia are just awesomer than ours? You're making me jealous! You get your GMAT books faster, plus you have laksa. Fond memories of downing three bowls of the stuff in a market in Kuching. Had some amazing century eggs in KL once, probably the best I've ever eaten...

Sorry, I got lost in a food fantasy there. Back to kudzu and grammar.

Quote:
Expert, can you suggest,
Is usage of word 'Rampant' and 'Rampantly', both hare correct in the sentence?

can we select right answer on the basis of this word usage?

Quote:
In option C is the use of rampant correct ?
We use adverb to modify verb; here it is modifying grown .
For example how has the Kuzdu grown
Am i correct in my reasoning , if not please clarify.

You're all correct that "rampant" is an adjective (modifies a noun), and "rampantly" is an adverb (modifies a verb). But you could actually use either an adjective or an adverb in this case -- and I think that's what ziyuen was trying to say in his last post, too.

• Mike has grown tired of the GMAT books' terrible SC explanations. --> "tired" doesn't describe the verb "grown" or "has grown" -- it's an adjective, describing Mike
  • Mike's surfing prowess has grown rapidly in recent years. --> "rapidly" is an adverb, modifying "grown"

In this case, I think "rampant" or "rampantly" could both be perfectly fine. I'll strip down the sentence a little bit for clarity:

• Kudzu has grown rampant in the southern United States. --> "rampant" is an adjective, and we're just saying that the kudzu itself is rampant
  • Kudzu has grown rampant in the southern United States. --> "rampantly" is an adjective, and we're just saying that the kudzu has grown in a rampant (or uncontrolled or unchecked) way

It's a sneaky little thing they've done here: the difference between "rampant" and "rampantly" is irrelevant!
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2018, 00:37
Can anybody explain why in option B "for thwarting" is actually incorrect.
I was down to B and C and chose B.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2018, 08:34
suramya26 wrote:
Can anybody explain why in option B "for thwarting" is actually incorrect.
I was down to B and C and chose B.

Hi suramya26, the intent of introducing Kudzu was to thwart soil erosion.

Whenever intent needs to be depicted, an infinitive (to + verb) is normally the preferred structure. Hence, to thwart is preferred.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses the use of "infinitive". Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Infinitives.pdf [15.82 KiB]
Downloaded 17 times

To download please login or register as a user

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 06:11
Can you please explain why B is incorrect ?
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 06:21
ran787 wrote:
Can you please explain why B is incorrect ?

Hi ran787, not sure if you read my post just above yours.

B uses for thwarting, whereas to thwart is preferable when intent needs to be depicted.

Also, B uses a comma before since, distorting the meaning.

Thanks,
Ashish

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 01:49
In this question if I am not wrong
1) I think choice B and c are both run on sentences, don't we need a FANBOY conjunction or
a ; with the last part of the sentence starting with has
2) While in choice E 1st part is a modifier, followed by a subordinate clause, connected with an independent clause with verb has and its subject in the beginning .
Thanks in advance
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 07:28
kunalkhanna wrote:
In this question if I am not wrong
1) I think choice B and c are both run on sentences, don't we need a FANBOY conjunction or
a ; with the last part of the sentence starting with has

Hi Kunal, a run-on sentence is when two Independent clauses are connected by a comma. In both B and C, there is only one Independent clause:

Kudzu has overrun many houses and countless acres of roadside.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses run-on sentence, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish

Re: Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United S &nbs [#permalink] 24 Mar 2018, 07:28

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United S

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap