It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 20:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United S

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 270

Schools: LBS '18
Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United S [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2017, 09:19
This post received
KUDOS
hazelnut wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2018

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 267
Page: 321

Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United States since introducing it in the 1920s to thwart soil erosion, has overrun many houses and countless acres of roadside.

(A) that has grown rampantly in the southern United States since introducing it in the 1920s to thwart
(B) that has grown rampantly in the southern United States, since it was introduced in the 1920s for thwarting
(C) that has grown rampant in the southern United States since it was introduced in the 1920s to thwart
(D) growing rampant in the southern United States since introducing it in the 1920s for thwarting
(E) growing rampantly in the southern United States, since it was introduced in the 1920s to thwart

lots of wondeeful explanations here , but i still can't find out one that
the [color=#ec008c]"linking verb error"
here
[/color]

I will try to narrow down options with it. As mentioned in MANHATTAN SC GUIDE, an adverb will modify anyting except nouns/pronouns , but when it comes to linking verbs (( grow , turn , has have ,seem , you can check the list on anywhere )) an adjective not an adverb will modify the linking verb
here grow is a linking verb so we need an adjective not an adverb to modify it
Options A,B,E are gone
between c and d , clearly d has multiple errors as compared to c
for thwarting is wrong here, we need a that construction not a "ing" construction

Kudos [?]: 10 [1], given: 270

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 67

WE: Information Technology (Retail Banking)
Re: Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United S [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 14:35
GMATNinja wrote:
Luckisnoexcuse wrote:

can anyone throw some light on the construct of option C & E

is the construction of C better is the only thing which makes it the right option or option E has some grammer/ly mistake?

I don't think there are grammar errors, exactly, in (E), but it's a little bit illogical. This doesn't happen a whole lot on the GMAT, but the comma warps the meaning in (E):

Quote:
Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United States since introducing it in the 1920s to thwart soil erosion, has overrun many houses and countless acres of roadside.

(C) that has grown rampant in the southern United States since it was introduced in the 1920s to thwart
(E) growing rampantly in the southern United States, since it was introduced in the 1920s to thwart

If we look very literally at (C), it's saying that the vine has grown rampant in the time since it was introduced in the 1920s. That makes perfect sense, and the word "since" is a reference to time.

But as soon as we put the comma before "since" in (E), the word "since" takes on a different meaning. The phrase "since it was introduced in the 1920s to thwart soil erosion" becomes a non-essential modifier -- and it seems to be giving us an explanation. "Since" now functions as a synonym for "because": "the vine growing rampantly in the southern US, because it was introduced to thwart erosion, has overrun..."

That's not quite what we're trying to say here: the vine hasn't grown rampant because it was introduced in the 1920s to thwart erosion -- it's just become rampant in the time since the 1920s.

Nasty and subtle, no? :(

For more on the "rampant" vs. "rampantly" issue, see my explanation above: https://gmatclub.com/forum/kudzu-an-asi ... l#p1854183

Hi, can you please explain why we needed a that after Asian vine.. I had chosen E since it did not contain that :( why cant we go without a that in the sentence?
Can someone please help!!

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 67

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1902 [0], given: 454

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United S [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 09:53
doeadoer wrote:

Hi, can you please explain why we needed a that after Asian vine.. I had chosen E since it did not contain that :( why cant we go without a that in the sentence?
Can someone please help!!

The presence or absence of the word "that" is not a deciding factor on this question. There's nothing inherently wrong with the phrase "a vine that has grown" nor the phrase "a vine growing" -- it's just that (C) and (E) have different meanings, and that's the more important issue, as described here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/kudzu-an-asi ... l#p1930060.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 1902 [0], given: 454

Re: Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United S   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2017, 09:53

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

Kudzu, an Asian vine that has grown rampantly in the southern United S

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap