Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 01:30 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [13]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 1296
Send PM
Re: Last week, tickets to Adventure Theme Park were sold at half the usual [#permalink]
Since what happened during the last week does nothing to help why more people were still visiting the theme park after the promotional offer ended, shouldn't this be the answer?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Re: Last week, tickets to Adventure Theme Park were sold at half the usual [#permalink]
Kudos
kimbercs wrote:
Last week, tickets to Adventure Theme Park were sold at half the usual price as part of a promotional special. This week, despite tickets returning to normal prices, Adventure Theme Park has reported more visitors than in the previous week.

Each of the following, if true, would help resolve the apparent paradox EXCEPT:
(A) Last week coincided with two religious holidays.
(B) New billboards advertising the newest rides at Adventure Theme Park were put up this week.
(C) A rival theme park in the next town increased their prices this week.
(D) A scientific study this week came out showing that certain amusement park rides can help increase metabolism and circulation.
(E) Paychecks for the two largest employers in town are issued on the first day of the month, which was Monday this week.

Choice A gives information about last week and does nothing to resolve the paradox for increased sales this week.
Whereas, Choice C provides a possibility that because rival theme park's ticket prices increased people preferred Adventure theme park this week.

Kindly explain why C is the correct choice and not A?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GPA: 3.32
Send PM
goforgmat wrote:
kimbercs wrote:
Last week, tickets to Adventure Theme Park were sold at half the usual price as part of a promotional special. This week, despite tickets returning to normal prices, Adventure Theme Park has reported more visitors than in the previous week.

(B) New billboards advertising the newest rides at Adventure Theme Park were put up this week.
(D) A scientific study this week came out showing that certain amusement park rides can help increase metabolism and circulation.
(E) Paychecks for the two largest employers in town are issued on the first day of the month, which was Monday this week.

I think the answer should be A. It doesn't explain why this week witnessed more visitors.
Although C doesn't strongly resolve the conflict, given the options A would be a better fit i feel!

Whats the source of this question.

Hi

Just sharing my 2 cents here.

Option A seems a very juicy choice at the first look. However, the word "Religious" Holidays seems to be the key here.
Even when tickets are offered at half the price, during religious holidays, people would prefer spending their day praying/visiting religious places instead of visiting theme parks. And as there were not just One but Two religious holidays, the total # of days available to people to visit the park would be just 5 days.

Option C, however, talks about a rival theme park in the 'next town'. This seems irrelevant and hence doesn't effectively resolve the paradox of the higher number of visitors at the Adventure Theme park despite the ticket cost returning to normal.

Please share if there could be any other reasoning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Both A and C don't solve the paradox.

C: Talks about price increase but we don't know if this increased price is greater than or lesser than this park's price.

A: If it is a "holiday", then more people should visit.

However I believe there is some trick in the "religious" part. If anyone can eliminate A in anyway, do tell.

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Why is it not A? C seems relevant and explains both aspects of paradox.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
vikassriv14 wrote:
Why is it not A? C seems relevant and explains both aspects of paradox.
C isn't relevant.
We don't know if this increased price is more or less than the price of the park in this town.

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 416 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
I don't know why A is out here but my 2 cents for oust of A is here.

Last week coincided with two religious holidays and people went outside or stayed at home.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kimbercs wrote:
Question #3: (C) does not pertain to last week at Adventure Theme Park. The correct answer is (C).

Source: GMAT Rockstar

The statement in red is illogical.
C: A rival theme park in the next town increased their prices this week.
Implication:
LAST WEEK the rival's prices were LOWER.
Clearly, this circumstance could have depressed attendance at Adventure Theme Park last week and explain why attendance this week is higher, despite the end of the promotion.
It should also be noted that their (plural) does not agree with theme park (singular).

I would ignore this CR.
Any of the five answer choices could explain why attendance at Adventure is higher this week, despite the lack of discounted tickets.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
Send PM
Kind of odd because all of them could be relevant.

If C said that the rival park increased their prices last week, then this one would be the clearer choice....

Edited: Actually, I thought about it and it makes more sense now. We don't know what their prices are. We don't know if the rival theme park's prices were originally lower than Adventure Theme Park's standard prices.

C is ambiguous because we cannot determine whether the price increase benefits Adventure Theme Park.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [3]
Given Kudos: 1962
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Kudos
kimbercs wrote:

i marked C but in my opinion why C is wrong

it says rival theme park in the next town increased their ticket prices but we dont know how much they have increased or what was the price before the increase whether it was less or more than the theme in the discussion.

kindly someone have a look at my line of reasoning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
Send PM
The question says which of the following would NOT help solving the paradox
Option C says increased price in rival park but it does not mean the increased prices were greater than the full price of the talked about park.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
kimbercs wrote:

Since this is an EXCEPT question, all the options make sense and could help in resolving the paradox, if true, except C.

C is ambiguous since we do not know whether the ticket prices of rival park was less to start with, or has become more than Adventure Theme Park. If we had any information regarding this, this could help in resolving the paradox. The absence of any such reasoning makes it the answer to this question in my opinion.

Please let me know if you see a fault here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Send PM
Hi,
Can someone please share the OA?

C seems like a relevant option as many visitors could visit the park instead of rival theme park because of increased rates at the rival theme park.

Am I missing something here?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619560 [1]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hital wrote:
Hi,
Can someone please share the OA?

C seems like a relevant option as many visitors could visit the park instead of rival theme park because of increased rates at the rival theme park.

Am I missing something here?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

You can check the OA of a question under the spoiler in the original post. For this question it's C.

I also suggest to pay attention to the tags above the original post and read the whole discussion. The tags there show "Poor quality", which should be an indication that one can simply ignore this question and move on. Expert reply HERE explains as to why the question is not good.

THE TOPIC IS LOCKED.

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts