Last visit was: 20 Sep 2024, 18:02 It is currently 20 Sep 2024, 18:02
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Own Kudos [?]: 2373 [4]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 2373 [2]
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 2373 [0]
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Re: Later Maya occupations of the Yucatan Peninsula site called Colha have [#permalink]
I did not understand the passage one bit. Can someone please highlight the main points of the passage and map them to make the passage easier to understand.
Own Kudos [?]: 968 [2]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Later Maya occupations of the Yucatan Peninsula site called Colha have [#permalink]
Kudos
GittinGud
I did not understand the passage one bit. Can someone please highlight the main points of the passage and map them to make the passage easier to understand.
Later Maya occupations of the Yucatan Peninsula site called Colha have undergone excavation since 1979. In 1993, researchers made the first systematic effort to document a pre-ceramic presence at the tropical, forested location. Early Colha farmers inhabited the area in two phases. There are stone tools in deeper soil layers dating from 2500 B.C. to 1700 B.C., based on radiocarbon age estimates of accompanying charcoal bits. Comparable dates come from an adjacent swamp, where pollen analysis documents forest clearance by 2500 B.C.

Writing : New research is done on a site. This research is first of its kind for some reasons. findings
(please read the "first systematic effort" part carefully because there may be a question on this)

The pollen provides evidence for the existence of several cultivated crops soon thereafter, mainly corn and manioc, a starchy plant. From about 1400 B.C. to 1000 B.C., Colha residents made foot-shaped stone tools that were chipped and sharpened on one side. Preliminary scanning electron microscope analysis of polish on these tools suggests that inhabitants used them to cut away vegetation after controlled burning of trees, and, perhaps, also to dig.

Writing : findings and implications (no need to write the details)

An example of the same tool, known as a constricted uniface, also emerged last year at Pulltrouser Swamp, a Maya site 20 miles northwest of Colha with a preliminary radiocarbon date of 1300 B.C. to 1000 B.C. for the artefact. Its unusual design led researchers to suspect that Colha might have harboured an extremely early Maya population. Another sharpened stone point retrieved at Pulltrouser Swamp dates to between 2500 B.C. and 2000 B.C. Several other sites in Belize have yielded constricted unifaces, but archaeologists have been unsure of their ages and origins.

Writing : In earlier paragrapgh some finding were providied.. an example of this finding is presneted and what are its implications in archeological world.)

Techniques used to manufacture constricted unifaces show gradual refinement and modification in stone tools of Colha residents living after 1000 B.C. Continuity in stone tool design and manufacture suggests that pre-ceramic Maya inhabited Colha, rather than non-Maya peoples who migrated to the area and later left or were incorporated into Maya villages. ―None of us had any reason to suppose that Colha would produce a pre-ceramic Maya occupation,‖ remarks the director of excavations at Cuello, a Maya site that dates to about 1000 B.C. ―This is a bit of archaeological serendipity.‖ This is evidence of the earliest known Maya, who cleared and farmed land bordering swamps by 2,500 B.C. The earliest Central American farmers probably settled at the edges of
swampland that they had cleared and cultivated. Excavations of preceramic Colha so far have focused on quarry and field areas. However, some pottery may still show up in early residential structures.

writing: what are the possible implications of the techniques used to maunfacture such tools are presneted. These findings actually are UNEXPECTED and GIVE a NEW INSIGHT .

Para summary : recent research on an excavation site is discussed. The possible implications of the research are presented
Purpose : To discuss the implications of a novel research
Type: Detailed and Implicative
Questions expected : details , why implcatiuons are important, what is so special about this research, modifier detailed questions (look tricky but all you have to do is pick the right word and look for its synonym in ans choice)

This is type 4 of most common passages found on GMAT. Such passages are provided to test your timing skills and how much importance you give to the text. If you go on and try to understand each word in a detail passage ,youre commiting suicide.
suggestion : start learning patterns on GMAT RC becasue a GMAT purposely throws a detailed passage at the end of the test so that you will be forced to spend more time on the passage but be smart and just read for key sentences.
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
VeritasKarishma , MartyTargetTestPrep ,and others

Looking for some expert to share the strategy on how to deal with this passage. I tried to read it all and spent a 5 mins 22 secs for 3 questions. The first question along with reading the passage took me 4mins 19 secs. The reason i am asking because while reading i realise that even though the i read it all, i was not confident that i got the passage as a whole. I was able to answer the first two questions correctly in a confident way, but then last question , i got it wrong as i was unsure to refer back to passage.

Can experts tell , which part to at-least if not skip but to read it fast and which part to focus. I know , we need to look for opinions and transition words and claims etc., but could not apply it in here.

Please share some insights as How experts will try to read this kind of passage
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
HI ,

In the question 3 , I get correct answer , but I can not see where it is mentioned that tools used by the Mayans were not only restricted to ceramic material (I suppose stone and ceramics are same) (to reject option E.)
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Please explain question 3!
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 39091 [0]
Given Kudos: 5866
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

3. According to the information presented by the author in the passage, analysis of the stone tools retrieved from Colha led researchers to believe all of the following EXCEPT:

Difficulty Level: 600

Explanation

Locate the part of the passage dealing with stone tools to eliminate wrong answer choices quickly, keeping an eye out for an answer choice that doesn‘t fit with the overall point of the passage. Even without elimination, (C) jumps out: the point of the evidence in the passage is to show that Mayans were indigenous to the area; (C) contradicts this.

(A): Opposite. This is a primary conclusion drawn from the evidence in Paragraph 3.

(B): Opposite. Another conclusion from the stone tools, and the point of the passage.

(C): The correct answer

(D): Opposite. Another conclusion supported by Paragraph 3.

(E): Opposite. This can be inferred from the passage.

Answer: C

PrachiMaloo
Please explain question 3!
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 39091 [0]
Given Kudos: 5866
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Gaurav2896
HI ,

In the question 3 , I get correct answer , but I can not see where it is mentioned that tools used by the Mayans were not only restricted to ceramic material (I suppose stone and ceramics are same) (to reject option E.)

Here is how I came to know that E can be inferred.

From the third paragraph:

An example of the same tool, known as a constricted uniface, also emerged last year at Pulltrouser Swamp, a Maya site 20 miles northwest of Colha with a preliminary radiocarbon date of 1300 B.C. to 1000 B.C. for the artefact. Its unusual design led researchers to suspect that Colha might have harboured an extremely early Maya population. Another sharpened stone point retrieved at Pulltrouser Swamp dates to between 2500 B.C. and 2000 B.C. Several other sites in Belize have yielded constricted unifaces, but archaeologists have been unsure of their ages and origins.

From the fourth Paragraph:

Techniques used to manufacture constricted unifaces show gradual refinement and modification in stone tools of Colha residents living after 1000 B.C.
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Sajjad1994
Gaurav2896
HI ,

Here is how I came to know that E can be inferred.

From the third paragraph:

From the fourth Paragraph:

Techniques used to manufacture constricted unifaces show gradual refinement and modification in stone tools of Colha residents living after 1000 B.C.

Yes i saw this , but "In archeology, a uniface is a specific type of stone tool that has been flaked on one surface only/" source -wikipedia .
Still all are stones (which is also ceramic .) .
I think i should leave this question now :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 880 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
7058 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
234 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13992 posts