It is currently 21 Apr 2018, 16:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

M06-05

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 44599
M06-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:27
Expert's post
18
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (00:44) correct 50% (01:01) wrong based on 158 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 44599
Re M06-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:27
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Official Solution:


If equation \(|x| + |y| = 5\) encloses a certain region on the graph, what is the area of that region?


A. 5
B. 10
C. 25
D. 50
E. 100


X and Y intercepts are (0, 5), (0, -5), (5, 0), and (-5, 0) (just make x equal to zero and find y and then make y equal to zero and find x). Now if we join these points we'll get the following region:

Image

The diagonals of the quadrilateral are equal (10 and 10), and also are perpendicular bisectors of each other (as they are on X and Y axis), so the figure must be a square. Area of a square equals to \(\frac{\text{diagonal}^2}{2}=\frac{10^2}{2}=50\).


Answer: D
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Posts: 74
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.26
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
M06-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 12:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:


If equation \(|x| + |y| = 5\) encloses a certain region on the graph, what is the area of that region?


A. 5
B. 10
C. 25
D. 50
E. 100


X and Y intercepts are (0, 5), (0, -5), (5, 0), and (-5, 0) (just make x equal to zero and find y and then make y equal to zero and find x). Now if we join these points we'll get the following region:

Image

The diagonals of the quadrilateral are equal (10 and 10), and also are perpendicular bisectors of each other (as they are on X and Y axis), so the figure must be a square. Area of a square equals to \(\frac{\text{diagonal}^2}{2}=\frac{10^2}{2}=50\).


Answer: D



Another way to find the area of the square, if you don't know how to find it from the diagonal, is to take the area of the four triangles that are made from the x and y axis. You end up with \((\frac{5*5}{2})*4\).
=
Additionally, you can find the difference between any two points with the formula \(\sqrt{(X2-X1)^2+(Y2-Y1)^2}\). Plug in (5,0) and (0,5) into that equation, then square the result to find the area.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2016
Posts: 11
Re: M06-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2016, 08:06
Is there a reason we can't use abs value of 3 and 2?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2014
Posts: 41
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: M06-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2016, 12:14
Why cant the values of X and Y be 1 and 4 ? or 2 and 3 ? or 0 and 5 ?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Posts: 74
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.26
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: M06-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2016, 12:35
devbond wrote:
Why cant the values of X and Y be 1 and 4 ? or 2 and 3 ? or 0 and 5 ?


They can be. You would probably have a much harder time solving the problem using those values though.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2016
Posts: 11
Re: M06-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 08:17
pate13 But you would be getting a different area wouldn't you? For example +/- 3 and +/- 2 solves the equation but would not yield an area of 50. Let me know if I am still missing something.
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 5774
Re: M06-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 08:37
dmaze01 wrote:
pate13 But you would be getting a different area wouldn't you? For example +/- 3 and +/- 2 solves the equation but would not yield an area of 50. Let me know if I am still missing something.


Hi,

The graph includes all points as mentioned..
the solution of |x|+|y|=5 will be as it has been shown above and x=4 when y=1 and so on are the points which we have joined to get the sketch..

We take values when x= WHAT when y=0 and y=WHAT when x=0 because the line being formed by values of x and y change direction at these points otherwise it continues as straight line..

Hope it helps
_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html


GMAT online Tutor

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2016
Posts: 404
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re M06-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 04:39
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Sep 2016
Posts: 11
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: M06-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 18:21
is there a way to know the sides from the information given? thx
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 44599
Re: M06-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 21:58
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 12 Jun 2016
Posts: 221
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M06-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 04:04
I think this is a High quality question and I agree with the explanation.

However, I have a small question. Can someone please help me with an answer?

Are the four points (0, 5), (0, -5), (5, 0), and (-5, 0) the ONLY possible four solutions to this equation? Or are they taken to make the calculation of area simple and direct?

I do understand that even if there are other possible 4 points satisfying the equation in the Coordinate system, the area enclosed will always remain the same. Just curious to know if I am correct in saying this.

Hope, I am able to communicate what I intend to say :-)

TIA!
_________________

My Best is yet to come!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 44599
Re: M06-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 04:38
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
susheelh wrote:
I think this is a High quality question and I agree with the explanation.

However, I have a small question. Can someone please help me with an answer?

Are the four points (0, 5), (0, -5), (5, 0), and (-5, 0) the ONLY possible four solutions to this equation? Or are they taken to make the calculation of area simple and direct?

I do understand that even if there are other possible 4 points satisfying the equation in the Coordinate system, the area enclosed will always remain the same. Just curious to know if I am correct in saying this.

Hope, I am able to communicate what I intend to say :-)

TIA!


|x|+|y|=5 has infinitely may solutions. For any value of x from -5 to 5 there will exist some value of y which will satisfy |x|+|y|=5. Since there are infinitely many real numbers from -5 to 5, then there are infinitely many pairs of (x, y) which satisfy |x|+|y|=5.

(0, 5), (0, -5), (5, 0), and (-5, 0) are x and y-intercepts of |x|+|y|=5. x-intercept is the value of x when y = 0 and y-intercept is the value of y when x = 0. If you plug x = 0, you'll get two value of y and if you plug y = 0, you'll get two value of x. Thus 4 points.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 12 Jun 2016
Posts: 221
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: M06-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 04:42
A million thanks to you Bunuel for the quick answer. I fully understand this now. Awesome solution to an equally awesome question!

Bunuel wrote:
susheelh wrote:
I think this is a High quality question and I agree with the explanation.

However, I have a small question. Can someone please help me with an answer?

Are the four points (0, 5), (0, -5), (5, 0), and (-5, 0) the ONLY possible four solutions to this equation? Or are they taken to make the calculation of area simple and direct?

I do understand that even if there are other possible 4 points satisfying the equation in the Coordinate system, the area enclosed will always remain the same. Just curious to know if I am correct in saying this.

Hope, I am able to communicate what I intend to say :-)

TIA!


|x|+|y|=5 has infinitely may solutions. For any value of x from -5 to 5 there will exist some value of y which will satisfy |x|+|y|=5. Since there are infinitely many real numbers from -5 to 5, then there are infinitely many pairs of (x, y) which satisfy |x|+|y|=5.

(0, 5), (0, -5), (5, 0), and (-5, 0) are x and y-intercepts of |x|+|y|=5. x-intercept is the value of x when y = 0 and y-intercept is the value of y when x = 0. If you plug x = 0, you'll get two value of y and if you plug y = 0, you'll get two value of x. Thus 4 points.

Hope it's clear.

_________________

My Best is yet to come!

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Sep 2017
Posts: 20
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 2
Reviews Badge
Re: M06-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 09:24
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:


If equation \(|x| + |y| = 5\) encloses a certain region on the graph, what is the area of that region?


A. 5
B. 10
C. 25
D. 50
E. 100


X and Y intercepts are (0, 5), (0, -5), (5, 0), and (-5, 0) (just make x equal to zero and find y and then make y equal to zero and find x). Now if we join these points we'll get the following region:

Image

The diagonals of the quadrilateral are equal (10 and 10), and also are perpendicular bisectors of each other (as they are on X and Y axis), so the figure must be a square. Area of a square equals to \(\frac{\text{diagonal}^2}{2}=\frac{10^2}{2}=50\).


Answer: D


Hey Bunuel,

I dont really get why its a square and not a circle. Couldn't |x|=p^2 and |y|=q^2, and so p^2+q^2 = \sqrt{5} ^2, which would make it a circle instead of a square, and thus change the area of the region.. why is what I'm doing wrong?
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 44599
Re: M06-05 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 09:28
13S12 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:


If equation \(|x| + |y| = 5\) encloses a certain region on the graph, what is the area of that region?


A. 5
B. 10
C. 25
D. 50
E. 100


X and Y intercepts are (0, 5), (0, -5), (5, 0), and (-5, 0) (just make x equal to zero and find y and then make y equal to zero and find x). Now if we join these points we'll get the following region:

Image

The diagonals of the quadrilateral are equal (10 and 10), and also are perpendicular bisectors of each other (as they are on X and Y axis), so the figure must be a square. Area of a square equals to \(\frac{\text{diagonal}^2}{2}=\frac{10^2}{2}=50\).


Answer: D


Hey Bunuel,

I dont really get why its a square and not a circle. Couldn't |x|=p^2 and |y|=q^2, and so p^2+q^2 = \sqrt{5} ^2, which would make it a circle instead of a square, and thus change the area of the region.. why is what I'm doing wrong?


Why would you substitute x and y by p^2 and q^2? Would you still get a figure in xy-plane?
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Re: M06-05   [#permalink] 15 Dec 2017, 09:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

M06-05

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.