GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Apr 2019, 09:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Many athletes develop poor fundamentals when trying to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
Many athletes develop poor fundamentals when trying to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2005, 07:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

90% (00:15) correct 10% (00:00) wrong based on 45 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Many athletes develop poor fundamentals when trying to compensate from an injury, but they can correct these fundamentals with hard work and dedication.

A) but they can correct these fundamentals
B) but are correctable
C) but they can correct them
D) which can be corrected
E) but these fundamentals can be corrected.
SVP
SVP
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Sep 2005, 07:51
I choose A.
Although C sounds ok, the usage of "them" instead of " these fundamentals" together with the subject " they" of the clause causes confusion.

Originally posted by laxieqv on 27 Sep 2005, 07:45.
Last edited by laxieqv on 27 Sep 2005, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Re: SC: Atheletes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2005, 09:43
gmataquaguy wrote:
Many athletes develop poor fundamentals when trying to compensate from an injury, but they can correct these fundamentals with hard work and dedication.

A) but they can correct these fundamentals
B) but are correctable
C) but they can correct them
D) which can be corrected
E) but these fundamentals can be corrected.

(A) is my favorite choice because it sounds direct and specific. (B) - what are correctable? Athletes or fundamentals? There is no reference. (C) - this is my third favorite choice, but the use of they and them to refer to athletes and fundamentals is not as clear and direct as the references used in (A). (D) - has which referring to the injury, suggesting that the injury can be corrected rather than the fundamentals. (E) is passive.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2005, 20:06
actually E is wrong, it implies that hard work and dedication correct these bad fundementals...infact its the players who correct these fundementals...by working hard and with dedication...

A is fine..
SVP
SVP
  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2005, 12:52
not only is E passive, but also it uses misplaced modifier.

So A is the only correct choice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Re: Many athletes develop poor fundamentals when trying to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2013, 06:23
I am stuck between A and E.

My thought process was that:

For option A, though it seemed clean, I was not very sure if I can attribute "they" to "athletes". I understand that according to the meaning, "they" has to be referred to "athletes" but I wasn't sure of it.

For option E, I felt there is no ambiguity but I failed to realize that there is no subject "corrected by athletes".

My question is regarding the option A:

Quote:
Many athletes develop poor fundamentals when trying to compensate from an injury, but they ...

In the above sentence, will GMAT consider the pronoun "they" as ambiguous or not?
Because there are a set of books that say that because "they" is the subject in the second clause it has to refer to the subject "athletes" of the first clause.

Is this the right way to think about "they" on the GMAT ??
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2013, 07:22
gmatter0913 wrote:
I am stuck between A and E.

My thought process was that:

For option A, though it seemed clean, I was not very sure if I can attribute "they" to "athletes". I understand that according to the meaning, "they" has to be referred to "athletes" but I wasn't sure of it.

For option E, I felt there is no ambiguity but I failed to realize that there is no subject "corrected by athletes".

My question is regarding the option A:

Quote:
Many athletes develop poor fundamentals when trying to compensate from an injury, but they ...

In the above sentence, will GMAT consider the pronoun "they" as ambiguous or not?
Because there are a set of books that say that because "they" is the subject in the second clause it has to refer to the subject "athletes" of the first clause.

Is this the right way to think about "they" on the GMAT ??

yes you are right.
see the excerpt from MANHATTAN SC GUIDE:

a) Sometimes (though not always), pronouns show a tendency to refer to nouns in the same case, especially when they are embedded in parallel structures. In particular, a pronoun in subject position in one clause may often be presumed to refer to the subject of a parallel clause, even if that subject is relatively far away.

Supernovas destroy their immediate environments in vast explosions,BUT by synthesizing heavy chemical elements, THEY provide the universe with the possibility of biochemistry-based life as we know it.

Supernovas is the subject of the first clause. The they is also in subject position in the second clause, which is parallel to the first clause. Eventhough there are at least two closer possible antecedents (environments and explosions), we know that they clearly refers to supernovas.

SO basing above and analysing official question you can take this:
If there is and/but/although in a sentence ,then the pronouns refer to first noun or the main subject.
example: Although Mary is younger than Susan ,she is more mature.(she = MARY)
The dog tried to hide under the table ,but it was found.(IT = DOG)

NOTE: this is not claim but no official qusetion i have found which has negated this.

hope this helps.

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2013, 09:15
Thanks for the reply blueseas.

Need your help on the below problem.

Researchers are studying plastics that dissolve at different rates, and they are finding that the so-called "quick disintegration" plastics are taking more time to deteriorate than they originally seemed.

A. they originally seemed
B. they seemed originally
C. it seemed that they would originally
D. it originally seemed
E. it originally seemed they would <--- OA

I thought there is a rule that all the references of "they" should be to the same precedent?

In option E, I was confused about what is the precedent for "they"? Is it referring to researchers/plastics/"q d" plastics?

I thought option E is ambiguous. The OA explanation doesn't talk about the pronoun ambiguity.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2013, 09:29
Hi blueseas,

Thanks for the last bit.

I hope to include it in my notes.

Regards

Argha
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2013, 11:26
gmatter0913 wrote:
Thanks for the reply blueseas.

Need your help on the below problem.

Researchers are studying plastics that dissolve at different rates, and they are finding that the so-called "quick disintegration" plastics are taking more time to deteriorate than they originally seemed.

A. they originally seemed
B. they seemed originally
C. it seemed that they would originally
D. it originally seemed
E. it originally seemed they would <--- OA

I thought there is a rule that all the references of "they" should be to the same precedent?

In option E, I was confused about what is the precedent for "they"? Is it referring to researchers/plastics/"q d" plastics?

I thought option E is ambiguous. The OA explanation doesn't talk about the pronoun ambiguity.

hi gmatter,

i want add something that:

PRONOUN RULE IS NOT THE ABSOLUTE RULE.(As per RON)
(note: i am not saying about pronun number rule)
always use PRONOUN RULE as the last weapon of your arsenal in order to eliminate any answer choice.

now since in this question meaning wise LAST USE OF THEY should refer to PLASTICS hence the use of they is correct.

please find the attched file for better understanding.

hope it helps
Attachments

Pronoun Ambiguity %28by Ron Purewal%29.docx [423.2 KiB]
Downloaded 125 times

To download please login or register as a user

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2013, 13:18
I was going through the e-gmat free session on Pronouns. e-gmat quotes the following sentence:

Quote:
Sam called Joe several times while he was in Peru.

e-gmat says that the usage of "he" is ambiguous as it can refer to Sam or Joe.

But, I thought that "he" will refer to the subject "Sam" of the first clause.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2013, 22:21
gmatter0913 wrote:
I was going through the e-gmat free session on Pronouns. e-gmat quotes the following sentence:

Quote:
Sam called Joe several times while he was in Peru.

e-gmat says that the usage of "he" is ambiguous as it can refer to Sam or Joe.

But, I thought that "he" will refer to the subject "Sam" of the first clause.

No, he can't refer to the subject of the sentence because he can refer to either Sam or Joe. Though he can refer to sam if the sentence is written in this way
Sam called Joe several times. He was in Peru.
Here he refers to Sam
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 15:19
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Many athletes develop poor fundamentals when trying to   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2017, 15:19

Many athletes develop poor fundamentals when trying to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap