Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:26 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Design (Transportation)
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
WE:Design (Transportation)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
MBA or EMBA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
alokspa wrote:
Hello

Thanks a ton for your reply :)
I am 29 now.
Leadership: I have nearly 2 years of team leading experience (team of 10-15). I also have 2 years entrepreneurship exp. I have set up a unofficial NGO (During my engineering) which helps flood victims in Odisha(India).
School name: NMIET, BBSR
Employer name: ALSTOM GE Transport , GE Transport, BOMBARDIER Transport
titles: Mechanical Design Engineer, Senior Design Engineer, metier engineer.
Promotions : 2 in 5 years
Greatest achievements; Lead a tem of 10-15 since I was just 1.5 years eaxp.
Volunteer work: I have set up a unofficial NGO (During my engineering) which helps flood victims in Odisha(India). We have worked for relief of flood victim in 2005, 2014 & 2015 ( we are a group of friends & some locals)
Work for 2 NGOs that support child education & another for blind children.
sports: State level player in Badminton & Cricket
Religious involvement: Very less actually

I am going to be complete honest with you. I think that's the only way I can get clarity.
I have no clue what I am going to do MBA or EMBA. But I know GMAT is mandatory for both. So I took the GMAT test first. Now I am safe for 5 years.

My major constrain is in my current situation I cant take 2 years off from work.
I can take 1 year off. Hence I was thinking of EMBA.

I have no problem with any industry actually. I am good at my current industry so I don't mind staying in this industry.
My major problem is Salary growth.

My reason for EMBA or MBA is to
#1: Make myself a formidable individual in management skills. Learn the best about Entrepreneurship, Marketing & Finance.
#2: Earn as much as possible in next 7/8 years.

I have plans to earn enough in the next 8 years & then give my full commitment to my coaching Institute(It was my first job & my first entrepreneurship) .
I aim to take this a nation wide institute from a Local Institute.
That's the only thing in my mind. I have to reach there. It doesn't matter what path I choose MBA or EMBA.

Another aspect is that if you notice my academics are of the worst kind. SO getting into good MBA college is going to be tough for me. The chances are next to none I think. ( this is what I feel I m not entirely sure) I have read that In EMBA they tend to give less weightage. Kindly share your thought on this.

Please let me know if you need any more information which will be helpful in helping me.

Regards
Alok

VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
I don't think you have the length of experience they generally look for in EMBAs so I would go with the MBA route. i would say where you want to pursue an MBA is truly up to you. The U.S. MBA programs are more reputed but it depends on your development goals as well as where you eventually want to live and work post-MBA. Hope this helps!

Hi Alok,

First, I will make a clarification about eMBA. It has different meanings in the West (Europe and US) as compared to India.

In the West an eMBA is taken up alongside work. You have block classes every 3-6 weeks, and the program can g on upto 2 years. In your case, it will require travel to the country where the b-school is located. This could be a non-feasible option considering the costs of travel to a distant location.

In India, the executive courses offered by the IIMs in particular are referred to as the eMBA. your eligibility criteria for these is 5+ years experience. These are one year, intensive residential programs, which means you are not employed the duration of your program. If you want to stay in India, these will make more sense for you.

You should also look at the one year MBAs offered by UK/European programs such as Oxford (Said), Cambridge (Judge), IE, IESE, HEC Paris, INSEAD and IMD. All of them prefer applicants with international experience, but even if you have not traveled on work, you can demonstrate you have worked in international teams.

I would not be too concerned with the GPA for these programs, considering your outstanding GMAT score.

I find your self driven volunteering work very interesting and I am certain you would have some powerful stories emerging from there.

We have worked with Alstom employees earlier, so I know they go to good b-schools.

In terms of your reasons for MBA, career goals and the application process, you need a lot of work to be done. Your knowledge is quite elementary in this area, and as the deadlines are right there, this situation must be worked upon immediately. Feel free to pick our brains.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
Send PM
Re: MBA or EMBA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
alokspa wrote:
Hello
This is Alok
These are the 2 question I am unable to find answer to
#1 MBA or EMBA?
#2 India or abroad?

My Profile looks like the below

post 2010
GMAT 750(Q51 V39)
Total 6.5 years exp --> 4.5 years at job + 2 years entrepreneurship (Coaching Institute)
Currently working as Senior Design Engineer (Domain expert in metro trains & High speed trains) (R&D of automobile & transportation products)

Pre 2010
But my past is not that great
10th - 84%
12th - 49%
BTECH - 6.3 CGPA in Mechanical

Apart from this I have worked for relief flood victim in 2005, 2014 & 2015 ( we are a group of friends & some locals)
I have won awards in singing, Cricket, Badminton
I work for 2 NGOs (one for blind child & another for children education)
I have won at least 12 awards during my job
I have some designs which are now implemented metro trains in India
Also some patents I have as a team
Have experience in B2B sales with success rate of 100% (1/1)
Help me decide guys MBA or EMBA?

Regards
Alok

Hi Alok,
Based on your age and work experience, an MBA program probably makes more sense. Please visit this page to read more about the differences between MBA/EMBA:
https://aringo.com/mba-vs-emba/
GMAT Club Bot
Re: MBA or EMBA [#permalink]