GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 13:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Meaning/clarity 1. American Heart Association researchers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Board of Directors
P
Re: Meaning/clarity 1. American Heart Association researchers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2014, 04:03
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2014, 22:52
What is the difficulty level of these Questions ?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2015, 15:04
Kudos, tough questions. Question 13 I don't get 'giving rise' seems illogical
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Babson '19 (A)
WE: Engineering (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2016, 01:51
I think 12 c has a poopy explanation...i dont think theres anything wrong with saying the earth formed the moon..I get that the Earth isn't a living thing to form sth...but imo it's not a wrong thing to say..if so, then why is it right to say the moon was formed by the earth? Huh?
I think the real reason is that "perhaps" seems to be awkwardly misplaced (0_o)..
Any thoughts, you guys?

Also Souvik ty ty ty for this post and many others :oops: learning a lot :)
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2017, 00:05
Hi! Souvik

Great collection, just one doubt in ques 7 we have a list of two things joined with a comma (more resources on smaller, more carefully selected members) shouldn't these two be joined by and, or i am missing something?

Thanks!

+1 from me
Manager
Manager
B
Meaning/clarity 1. American Heart Association researchers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2017, 10:13
souvik101990 wrote:
POSTED THE OEs man!
Let me know if there are some mistakes!

Hi souvik101990

QUESTION 9
although option C is preferable, option A confused me. I remember we can modify the second noun alone same as structure like original sentence

The pioneering research of Lewis Latimer and Thomas Edison, who became known for his invention of the light bulb, accelerated the development of the first power plant, which opened in New York City in 1882.

am I wrong?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 12:05
souvik101990 wrote:
Marcab wrote:
Hii Souvik.
In #4, c)
Since "of earth's earliest days" is a prepositional phrase, don't you feel that "which" is modifying the "underground remnant"?
In the OE, its given that "which" is modifying "earth's earliest days". How can it be?
The box of nails, which is kept on the table, is black in colour.
Here which is modifying "box" not "nails".

Well, two things. I ll address them but let me copy paste the entire question first.

Geologists once thought that the molten rock known as lava was an underground remnant of
Earth's earliest days, sporadically erupting through volcanoes, but they now know that it is
continuously created by the heat of the radioactivity deep inside the planet.

• was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, sporadically erupting
• had been an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days and sporadically erupted
• was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, which sporadically erupted
• would be an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days that sporadically erupted
• was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, having sporadically erupted

• If you consider simple past, it has a slight meaning distortion. Its very difficult to write it out but if you get the solution of This official question then you will be able to realize it. Its similar to the following exmaples
    I won the all you can eat competition, devoured no less than fifty kebabs and ten mighty tandooris. WRONG
    I won the all you can eat competition, devouring no less than fifty kebabs and ten mighty tandooris. RIGHT
    The second one is correct because the simple past wrongly means that there are no connections between the stuffs before and after comma.
  • I get the touch rule is often violated. But it is for VERY small phrases like to X, of Y, from Z etc. If you look closely which is modifying remnant, though it should modify "lava" or rather the entire preceding clause which is nicely done by the ING

Hi souvik101990,
the explanation about eat competition is clear, however I do not see how it is applicable here.
"Molten rock known as lava was underground remnant"; it means that molten rock=lava=remnant. In answer choice C which modifies remnant. which in turn modifies molten rock, making C grammatically correct.
What am I missing or confusing?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2018, 12:08
Hi Folks,
could you explain why in 5th question answer choice C is incorrect? Isn't Chesapeake Bay already imply area, making answer choice A (Chesapeake Bay area) wordy?

5. Disease, pollution, and overfishing have devastated the bountiful oyster harvests that once
sustained the residents of the Chesapeake Bay area.

• of the Chesapeake Bay area
• in and around the Chesapeake Bay
• of the Chesapeake Bay
• around the vicinity of the Chesapeake Bay
• living in and around the Chesapeake Bay area
Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2018, 10:26
Top Contributor
No, The Bay means the bay itself and NOT the area around it as a whole.

When we talk about an economic ecosystem, we are referring to it at large.

Think about this analogy: during the 80's years a new music movement arose in Frisco, it was called (and still is identified) as the Bay Area Trash metal, which means ALL the metal bands and ALL the economic system (concerts, releases, demo-tapes, labels, recordings) related to them at large.

I do think this question is great.

Regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Intern
Intern
B
Meaning/clarity 1. American Heart Association researchers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2018, 11:39
carcass wrote:
No, The Bay means the bay itself and NOT the area around it as a whole.

When we talk about an economic ecosystem, we are referring to it at large.

Think about this analogy: during the 80's years a new music movement arose in Frisco, it was called (and still is identified) as the Bay Area Trash metal, which means ALL the metal bands and ALL the economic system (concerts, releases, demo-tapes, labels, recordings) related to them at large.

I do think this question is great.

Regards

thank you for the explanation.
for some reason in my perception the Name+bay implied a certain area, rather than purely geographical name of bay.
Board of Directors
P

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2018, 11:55
Top Contributor
Re: Meaning/clarity 1. American Heart Association researchers &nbs [#permalink] 30 May 2018, 11:55

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

Meaning/clarity 1. American Heart Association researchers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap