Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 15:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

National regulations that limit the sale of meat to within 5 days of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
National regulations that limit the sale of meat to within 5 days of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 07:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (01:43) correct 34% (02:05) wrong based on 129 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

National regulations that limit the sale of meat to within 5 days of packing should be changed. Under optimal conditions, meat kept at 40° F will not spoil for 16 days. If the regulations were changed, prices for meat would drop due to increased shelf life and reduced waste, but the safety of the food supply would not be compromised.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion drawn above?

A. Most consumers keep meat for up to a week before eating it.

B. 7 of 10 shopkeepers favor extending the limitation on meat to 9 days.

C. Approximately 65% of the meat display cases nationally maintain temperatures between 47 and 54° F.

D. Approximately half the meat stored for 25 days is still safe to consume.

E. Meat packing operations are more efficient when they can make fewer, larger deliveries than when they must make more frequent, smaller deliveries.

G
Re: National regulations that limit the sale of meat to within 5 days of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 07:39
IMO C

prethink: if the temperature mentioned is not being maintained than the quality of the food would decreease, thereby reducing its shell life and make it harmful for human consumption

C. Approximately 65% of the meat display cases nationally maintain temperatures between 47 and 54° F.

Be very critical of my Post
Ask as many questions of my post possible
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Re: National regulations that limit the sale of meat to within 5 days of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 07:46
Think A is the closest....

I DINT go with C for 2 reasons

1)Talks about meat display cases.
2)We need to make the assumption that meat storers cannot change the temperature.I am not sure if it is a real world assumption that I can make
Manager
Manager
S
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 07:53
redskull1 wrote:
Think A is the closest....

I DINT go with C for 2 reasons

1)Talks about meat display cases.
2)We need to make the assumption that meat storers cannot change the temperature.I am not sure if it is a real world assumption that I can make

redskull1

I think meat display cases are the refrigerators where meats are kept for display. So If the temperature is not optimum in htose cases, there are chances that meats might get spoiled.
Hence I think C is the answer
Please advise.

Regards,
Arup
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 04:52
Bunuel wrote:
National regulations that limit the sale of meat to within 5 days of packing should be changed. Under optimal conditions, meat kept at 40° F will not spoil for 16 days. If the regulations were changed, prices for meat would drop due to increased shelf life and reduced waste, but the safety of the food supply would not be compromised.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion drawn above?

A. Most consumers keep meat for up to a week before eating it.

B. 7 of 10 shopkeepers favor extending the limitation on meat to 9 days.

D. Approximately half the meat stored for 25 days is still safe to consume.

E. Meat packing operations are more efficient when they can make fewer, larger deliveries than when they must make more frequent, smaller deliveries.

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

C

This argument proposes that the regulations should be changed because meat held at 40° F will last longer than the currently allowed 5 days, and longer storage will result in lower prices for consumers. But this is only true if conditions are optimal; in other words, the assumption is that meat is in fact held at 40° F. (C) contradicts this assumption; if meat is normally displayed at higher temperatures, the proposal to extend the shelf life without reducing food safety will not work. Therefore, (C) is correct.

(A) is out of scope; the period in question is before sale, not after sale. Furthermore, suppose the regulations were extended to 9 days; even if consumers then kept the meat for another 7 days, that would still not exceed the 16 days that meat kept at 40° F will last (B) isn't relevant. (D) ignores the issue of whether meat is actually kept at 40° F and, if anything, would strengthen the argument; if some meat stored up to 25 days is safe to consume, that might argue in favor of changing the 5-day limit. (E) doesn't address the temperature issue and in fact, could strengthen the argument by providing a reason to believe that longer shelf life will result in lower prices.
Re: National regulations that limit the sale of meat to within 5 days of   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2019, 04:52

National regulations that limit the sale of meat to within 5 days of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics