Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6811 [111]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [55]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [42]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: The ancient Anasazi harvested such native desert vegetation as the pur [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
sondenso wrote:
The ancient Anasazi harvested such native desert vegetation as the purple-flowered bee plant, what they now commonly call wild spinach in northern Arizona and other parts of the southwestern United States.

(A) what they now commonly call

(B) a plant that they now commonly call

(C) now commonly called

(D) and is now commonly called

(E) which it is now commonly called

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that the ancient Anasazi harvested such native desert vegetation as the purple-flowered bee plant, and this plant is now commonly called wild spinach in northern Arizona and other parts of the southwestern United States.

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Meaning + Pronouns + Grammatical Construction + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• Semicolons and the “comma + conjunction” construction are used to link two independent clauses; commas are used to link an independent clause with a dependent one; commas cannot be used to join two independent clauses.

A: This answer choice suffers from pronoun ambiguity, as the pronoun "they" lacks a clear and logical referent. Further, Option A uses the needlessly wordy phrase "what they...call", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B: This answer choice suffers from pronoun ambiguity, as the pronoun "they" lacks a clear and logical referent. Further, Option B uses the needlessly wordy phrase "a plant that...call", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

C: Correct. This answer choice avoids the pronoun error seen in Options A and B, as it uses no pronouns. Moreover, Option C avoids the subject-verb disagreement seen in Option D, as it uses the modifying phrase "now commonly called" rather than an active verb phrase ("is commonly called" in Option D). Further, Option C correctly modifies "the purple-flowered bee plant" with now commonly called wild spinach", conveying the intended meaning - that the purple-flowered bee plant is now called wild spinach. Additionally, Option C correctly uses a comma to join the independent clause "The ancient Anasazi harvested such native desert vegetation as the purple-flowered bee plant" to the dependent clause "now commonly called wild spinach in northern Arizona and other parts of the southwestern United States". Besides, Option C is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

D: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun phrase "The ancient Anasazi" with the singular verb "is". Further, Option D alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "and is...called"; the construction of this phrase links the verbs "harvested" and "is...called" together in a list, illogically implying that The ancient Anasazi are now called wild spinach; the intended meaning is that the purple-flowered bee plant is now called wild spinach.

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses the construction "comma + which" to join the independent clauses "The ancient Anasazi harvested such native desert vegetation as the purple-flowered bee plant" and "it is now commonly called wild spinach in northern Arizona and other parts of the southwestern United States"; remember, semicolons and the “comma + conjunction” construction are used to link two independent clauses

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

To understand the use of punctuation on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~10 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [5]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Re: The ancient Anasazi harvested such native desert vegetation as the pur [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
sondenso wrote:
The ancient Anasazi harvested such native desert vegetation as the purple-flowered bee plant, what they now commonly call wild spinach in northern Arizona and other parts of the southwestern United States.

Here we should use passive voice, as the subject "they" is not someone specific or know. So A and B is out. D and E is also out since they are wordy and in E "which it is" sounds awkward.

C is correct. "now commonly called" is immediately placed after bee plant. Its modifying "bee plant" rather than "ancient Anasazi".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4617 [5]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Kudos
sondenso wrote:

A. what they now commonly call
B. a plant that they now commonly call
C. now commonly called
D. and is mow commonly called
E. which it is now commonly called

Guys, the usage of participle in this sentence makes me confused. For me, the participle "now commonly called" modifies "Anasazi" rather than "plant".

what do you think?

A, and B are out for using 'they'

D -- is out for using 'and' .. you are not listing things so 'and' is wrong here.

E -- wrong for using 'which it' ..

so I arrived to C by POE.

IMO C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi Experts / chetan2u

I would have correctly opted option C but then I thought the option C uses "NOW" and Verb-ed modifier "called".

Don't we need to use "Call" because the presence of word "Now" represents current situation.

Please assist what I am missing.

Thanks and Regards,

Prakhar
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31933 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
PrakharGMAT wrote:
Hi Experts / chetan2u

I would have correctly opted option C but then I thought the option C uses "NOW" and Verb-ed modifier "called".

Don't we need to use "Call" because the presence of word "Now" represents current situation.

Please assist what I am missing.

Thanks and Regards,

Prakhar

Hi Prakhar,

called is not a verb but a past participle here.....
A past participle not necessarily talks of past things..
It modifies the previous NOUN, here 'plant'.....

whenever you see a verb with -ing or -ed, especially after a COMMA, look whether it is verb or past participle....
For that check if the SUBJECT has a VERB, if it already has a verb, then WHAT is this VERB+ed or VERB+ing refering to..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi chetan2u,

I agree that "called" is a past participle here. However, I would like to know the usage of "now". if we don;t use "now and just uses the sentence as "commonly called wild spinach" then also it will be correct.

But in this modifier we are using 2 word "Now"- Present tense
Called -> Past
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31933 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
PrakharGMAT wrote:
Hi chetan2u,

I agree that "called" is a past participle here. However, I would like to know the usage of "now". if we don;t use "now and just uses the sentence as "commonly called wild spinach" then also it will be correct.

But in this modifier we are using 2 word "Now"- Present tense
Called -> Past

Hi,

why can't now and called go together..
again CALLED is not showing PAST, it is a past participle and acts as an adjective..

Bombay is now called Mumbai... this is perfectly fine... now + called....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20716 [1]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Kudos
sondenso wrote:

(A) what they now commonly call
(B) a plant that they now commonly call
(C) now commonly called
(D) and is mow commonly called
(E) which it is now commonly called

Well, we can't use "they" in this sentence because "they" doesn't refer to anyone in the sentence.

You will HEAR that in spoken English ("they say not to go to that part of town") but the GMAT will never do that.

You have to know who "they" are, so you can just use a simple modifier.

"The bee plant, now called ..."

You wouldn't want to use "and" in D, because you'd be saying "The Anasazi harvested plants and is now called wild spinach". That's obviously illogical and "which it is" in E is redundant, you wouldn't need "it", we know you're describing the bee plant.

Answer : C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Great question here...I've always enjoyed teaching this one.

For those who liked E, keep in mind that "which" is a modifier that takes the place of "plant" - essentially "which" is used as a pronoun, so the word "it" is redundant...we're just piling on at that point. You wouldn't say "For Christmas I got a new bike, which it is red". You'd just say "I got a new bike, which is red..."

For A and B, I think it's important to note that "they" does properly replace "Anasazi" as a pronoun...there's nothing wrong with the pronoun itself. What IS wrong here is the logic. We're talking about the ANCIENT Anasazi...so it's illogical that they would "NOW" commonly call a plant something different. Ancient means that there isn't anything they're doing "now". A and B don't really have a pronoun error, but they're both guilty of a vicious logical error.

C is correct - it properly modifies "plant" with "now commonly called", and therefore is correct.

D, just for completeness' sake, illogically makes it sounds like "Anasazi" is now commonly called "Wild spinach" - the word "and" links the two verbs "harvested" and "is", binding them both to the same subject, Anasazi.

Hi VeritasPrepBrian,

For A and B, if we replace "they" with "people" would that be acceptable? When we use "they", is it absolutely necessary that it has to refer back to some previous subject? Can it be a general "they" as in "people"?
Something like "they say nothing lasts forever" ("we're only here today, love is now or never, take me to your heart, take me to your soul", michael learns to rock anyone??) (also it seems like my strategy of using lyrics to learn English doesn't work out well for GMAT)
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
I'm 100% on board with (B) as you proposed it, with "people" in place of "they." That corrects the logical error with "ancient Anasazi" now commonly calling something.

With (A) I think I'd be 100% on board with your switch ("they" --> "people") if you also change "what" to "which" (so that the modifier is "which people now commonly call..."). I don't think I've ever seen "what" used to introduce a relative modifier quite like what we'd be doing with the one word "they" --> "people" switch in (A), but then again good process-of-elimination would mean that if that's the only logical one left I guess you can do it, and if it's not then that may be your reason for skepticism.

And man I love using song lyrics to make the GMAT more fun and memorable...but lyrics do tend to butcher grammar at times so it's not always quite reliable for Sentence Correction.

shabuzen102 wrote:
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Great question here...I've always enjoyed teaching this one.

For those who liked E, keep in mind that "which" is a modifier that takes the place of "plant" - essentially "which" is used as a pronoun, so the word "it" is redundant...we're just piling on at that point. You wouldn't say "For Christmas I got a new bike, which it is red". You'd just say "I got a new bike, which is red..."

For A and B, I think it's important to note that "they" does properly replace "Anasazi" as a pronoun...there's nothing wrong with the pronoun itself. What IS wrong here is the logic. We're talking about the ANCIENT Anasazi...so it's illogical that they would "NOW" commonly call a plant something different. Ancient means that there isn't anything they're doing "now". A and B don't really have a pronoun error, but they're both guilty of a vicious logical error.

C is correct - it properly modifies "plant" with "now commonly called", and therefore is correct.

D, just for completeness' sake, illogically makes it sounds like "Anasazi" is now commonly called "Wild spinach" - the word "and" links the two verbs "harvested" and "is", binding them both to the same subject, Anasazi.

Hi VeritasPrepBrian,

For A and B, if we replace "they" with "people" would that be acceptable? When we use "they", is it absolutely necessary that it has to refer back to some previous subject? Can it be a general "they" as in "people"?
Something like "they say nothing lasts forever" ("we're only here today, love is now or never, take me to your heart, take me to your soul", michael learns to rock anyone??) (also it seems like my strategy of using lyrics to learn English doesn't work out well for GMAT)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
why am I not earning any more points on GMAT Club? I am stuck at 99 points for the last few months.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619047 [2]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
HardikSogani wrote:
why am I not earning any more points on GMAT Club? I am stuck at 99 points for the last few months.

Please check this post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/introducing- ... 31235.html You should satisfy certain requirements to move to the next level (min 25 kudos).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Here we should use passive voice, as the subject "they" is not someone specific or know. So A and B is out. D and E is also out since they are wordy and in E "which it is" sounds awkward.

C is correct. "now commonly called" is immediately placed after bee plant. Its modifying "bee plant" rather than "ancient Anasazi".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
naveeng15 wrote:

Thank for sharing your thoughts.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts