Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [60]
Given Kudos: 116
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V35
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [10]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [6]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Re: Nearly all adults in the community of Amaretti, including pregnant wom [#permalink]
Can someone explain the last 2 lines of this passage clearly? i faltered in assessing the answer choices because of this.
TIA!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Nearly all adults in the community of Amaretti, including pregnant wom [#permalink]
GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo - Can you help explain how does C weaken the argument?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 103
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Bookmarks
DClifelonglearner wrote:
neha283 wrote:
Can someone explain the last 2 lines of this passage clearly? i faltered in assessing the answer choices because of this.
TIA!

Hi,

"A recently completed study has revealed that, on the annual cognitive tests given to Amaretti's first-graders in each of last ten years, nearly 25% of the students scoring in the top fifth of the class, but only about 2% of those scoring in the bottom fifth, were born in November."

-- It says that:
1. Every year for the last 10 years, a cognitive test has been held.
2. The test takers were 1st grade students.
3. Based on the performance of the test takers, a study has been done.
4. The study revealed that --> (Nearly 25% OF the students scoring in the TOP 1/5th of the class) AND (About 2% OF the students scoring in the BOTTOM 1/5th of the class) were born in November.

Because pregnancy lasts nine months, only the mothers of children born in November would not have fasted during the entire pregnancies; therefore, the ritual fasting must have detrimental effects on developing babies.

-- This mentions that:
1. Pregnancy lasts for 9 months.
2. Only the mothers of children born in November would not have fasted during the entire pregnancies. Why is it so? Consider this -> The fasting ritual is practiced in December and January. Pregnancy lasts 9 months and the baby is born after the completion of 9 months. And if the months of December and January should not fall DURING the pregnancy, the only way this can happen is if it (pregnancy) starts in February. Pregnancy would last till the end of October, or November. The baby would then be born in November.
Hence ONLY the mothers of children born in November didn't fast during the entire pregnancy.

The conclusion is that fasting causes a detrimental effect in the cognitive abilities of the children whose mothers fasted during pregnancy.

We can eliminate some of the options:

A --> can be eliminated since it says about data before 10 years.
B --> It doesn't mention the number of students being absent during the tests - it can be 1 student, or more. B is eliminated.
D --> Talks about physical deformities of children. Eliminated.

Hi,

Thank you for the detailed explanation, the passage is more clear now. However, option (C) tells us about the birth duration of its students which is year round, how does it weaken the claim that most students must be born in november since fasting causes a detrimental effect in the cognitive abilities of the children whose mothers fasted during pregnancy. ?

Thanks again!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
It is because kids born in november are always the oldest in the class.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
I am still stuck between C and E. Not so sure, why and how we can reject E. Can someone please explain in detail, how we can reject E?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Hi arorni

DClifelonglearner explains it well.Ron Purewal also more or less says the same thing said by DClifelonglearner

This question is tackled very well by Ron purewal. My answer is very heavily borrowed from Ron's analysis of this problem(The first time I solved this problem I marked E)

Ron Purewal says, and rightly so, that weaken, strengthen or assumption answer choices have to, in a way , explain the question.Lets see the options now.

E - Incorrect.
This option doesn't explain the fact that 2% of students in the bottom fifth were born in November.Though 25% of the top fifth goes with the option.If 1/5th of babies were born in November then normally 1/5th of both the top performing and bottom performing students will comprise of those born in November.

C - Correct.
This option hits the nail on the head.This basically says the reason November kids do well is because they are the oldest in the class and not because their mothers fasted. Gives an alternate reason.

Hope it's clear...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Kudos
redskull1 wrote:
Hi arorni

DClifelonglearner explains it well.Ron Purewal also more or less says the same thing said by DClifelonglearner

This question is tackled very well by Ron purewal. My answer is very heavily borrowed from Ron's analysis of this problem(The first time I solved this problem I marked E)

Ron Purewal says, and rightly so, that weaken, strengthen or assumption answer choices have to, in a way , explain the question.Lets see the options now.

E - Incorrect.
This option doesn't explain the fact that 2% of students in the bottom fifth were born in November.Though 25% of the top fifth goes with the option.If 1/5th of babies were born in November then normally 1/5th of both the top performing and bottom performing students will comprise of those born in November.

C - Correct.
This option hits the nail on the head.This basically says the reason November kids do well is because they are the oldest in the class and not because their mothers fasted. Gives an alternate reason.

Hope it's clear...

Thanks a lot.. I got it now...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
arorni wrote:
I am still stuck between C and E. Not so sure, why and how we can reject E. Can someone please explain in detail, how we can reject E?

First, try to understand the meaning of both the options C and E.

Next, try finding out which of these 2 options better explain the following fact:
" 25% of top 1/5th scorers AND 2% of bottom 1/5th scorers were born in November".

You'd then understand why E should be eliminated and C is our answer.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 480 Q48 V14
Send PM
Can someone please explain how "e" is wrong...

Also I didn't understand the meaning and how to link this with argument...

Thanks in advance

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [0]
Send PM
rakeshtewatia0105 wrote:
Can someone please explain how "e" is wrong...

Also I didn't understand the meaning and how to link this with argument...

Thanks in advance

If E is true, then the percentages of those children born in Nov. who score the top fifth and the bottom fifth will both be around 25%.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 101
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
Send PM
The Option B directly attacks the validity of the survey. Whereas, Option C makes a huge jump in assumption that older kids have better cognitive abilities. I went with B. Kindly tell on what grounds we can eliminate B.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ravi546 wrote:
The Option B directly attacks the validity of the survey. Whereas, Option C makes a huge jump in assumption that older kids have better cognitive abilities. I went with B. Kindly tell on what grounds we can eliminate B.

Option B just mentions students who skip the test can't reappear for it.
But it doesn't mention the number of students who skipped. It can be 0, or 5, or 10, or any number. So we can't say for sure whether this fact actually affects conclusion.
Because if 90% of the students of a class skipped then definitely the conclusion comes into question. However, if none of the students, or just 1 student skipped then it doesn't really affect the conclusion.
So option B is very vague.

Hope this helps!!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 101
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
Send PM
DClifelonglearner wrote:
ravi546 wrote:

But it doesn't mention the number of students who skipped. It can be 0, or 5, or 10, or any number. So we can't say for sure whether this fact actually affects conclusion.
Because if 90% of the students of a class skipped then definitely the conclusion comes into question. However, if none of the students, or just 1 student skipped then it doesn't really affect the conclusion.

Hope this helps!!

Don't you think that older kids are more intelligent is a huge assumption to make? I feel that attacking the validity of the survey results is better than assuming something.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ravi546 wrote:
DClifelonglearner wrote:
ravi546 wrote:

Hope this helps!!

Don't you think that older kids are more intelligent is a huge assumption to make? I feel that attacking the validity of the survey results is better than assuming something.

IMO questions which are not from OG can always be debated. Moreover we don't know the official explanation of why C is the best answer in this case. Verbal experts in this forum have time and again reiterated that we shouldn't really worry too much on questions other than OG ones. So we can always come up with our own interpretations and logic on why an option could be better than the other.

Having said that, I'd like to mention my line of reasoning:
I eliminated E because it didn't mention the specific number of students, if at all any, who would have missed the tests. If there were no students who missed then there would have been no impact at all on the conclusion. However, if majority of students missed then the conclusion is shaken. To mark this option as the correct answer we'd have to assume that majority students missed - to me this was far fetched. Hence I eliminated this option.

When I first solved this question I didn't understand option C at all! I purely marked it because I had eliminated the other 4 options with conviction and guessed that C must be the best answer.

I tried finding Ron Purewel's answer explanation to this question but couldn't find it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [0]
Send PM
Hi DClifelonglearner,
You can get it in Thursday with Ron —— 20, 02, 2014.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
None of the options give a proper answer. We need an expert comment on this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 606 [0]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
C says November born children are older than others, but how can we relate that older means smarter!! (as nothing such is mentioned in the argument)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts