Last visit was: 20 May 2024, 02:18 It is currently 20 May 2024, 02:18
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 2.42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: LEAD Program in Business, NSHMBA, NBMBAA
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
Send PM
Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
TheSenator wrote:
How are people generally feeling about the upcoming Feb. 10th notification date? I'm getting pretty anxious myself.

Posted from my mobile device

All the best TheSenator! Sailing in the same boat :)
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Hello all,

First, congrats to all that have been accepted so far and good luck to those pursuing later rounds.

Tuck is my first choice for my MBA atm. I plan on applying for round one 2013. At the time of applying I will only have 2.5 years of WE (25 y/o, ~3 yrs WE at matriculation). Is there any point in applying with that little WE?

It will be a fairly expensive endeavor for me to apply since I would have to fly in from Canada to self-initiate an interview and I do not want to bother if my chances are 1/1000 of being accepted.

750 GMAT
3.7 GPA from top ranked undergrad biz program
Pretty good extra curriculars
Kind of average WE (will not have any direct reports by the time of application)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Real Estate
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Kudos
Eragotte, I would say go for it but wait for the January round.

I have a similar profile as yourself (3 WE, 750). On my visit to Tuck I had the same concerns that you have but met a bunch of students who entered with 3 years WE. If money is a concern and Tuck is your top choice, I would suggest applying to Tuck and Tuck only next year. Worse case scenario, you don't get in and apply to Tuck and a few others the following year. Tuck looks favorably upon reapplicants so it won't hurt your cause.

The reason I say January round as opposed to the first round is because that extra 4-5 months can actually improve your application. I applied to Columbia ED and had a great interview but was dinged with the feedback that I could use more work experience. Sure enough, a month after my ding I was promoted and now have two indirect reports. That could have been the difference between an admit and a ding at Columbia.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mbarealestate wrote:
Eragotte, I would say go for it but wait for the January round.

I have a similar profile as yourself (3 WE, 750). On my visit to Tuck I had the same concerns that you have but met a bunch of students who entered with 3 years WE. If money is a concern and Tuck is your top choice, I would suggest applying to Tuck and Tuck only next year. Worse case scenario, you don't get in and apply to Tuck and a few others the following year. Tuck looks favorably upon reapplicants so it won't hurt your cause.

The reason I say January round as opposed to the first round is because that extra 4-5 months can actually improve your application. I applied to Columbia ED and had a great interview but was dinged with the feedback that I could use more work experience. Sure enough, a month after my ding I was promoted and now have two indirect reports. That could have been the difference between an admit and a ding at Columbia.

Thanks so much for the reply, that is very helpful advice. Again, since money is tight, do you think extra work experience will help me receive scholarships? Or is it mostly based on marks, need, community involvement?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
eragotte wrote:
Thanks so much for the reply, that is very helpful advice. Again, since money is tight, do you think extra work experience will help me receive scholarships? Or is it mostly based on marks, need, community involvement?

Eragotte,

If you have a chance you should check out the Tuck Scholarship Page and see what is available.

When I visited back in November one of the students remarked, 'Dartmouth is a very rich school' <-- By no means does that mean they are just opening up their coffers to any Tom, Dick or Jerry but the do offer money to those who they feel can add value on a level that is more than just academic. So if you feel you have something truly unique to contribute in your extracurriculars or even a refreshing perspective it would be worth it to apply next fall. I know you said you had kind of a vanilla job, but I tend to believe those that can point to the fact they are doing either something really special in that job (or the more likely case) something special outside of it stand a decent shot at scholarship consideration.

Good luck & Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
TheSenator wrote:
Eragotte,

If you have a chance you should check out the Tuck Scholarship Page and see what is available.

When I visited back in November one of the students remarked, 'Dartmouth is a very rich school' <-- By no means does that mean they are just opening up their coffers to any Tom, Dick or Jerry but the do offer money to those who they feel can add value on a level that is more than just academic. So if you feel you have something truly unique to contribute in your extracurriculars or even a refreshing perspective it would be worth it to apply next fall. I know you said you had kind of a vanilla job, but I tend to believe those that can point to the fact they are doing either something really special in that job (or the more likely case) something special outside of it stand a decent shot at scholarship consideration.

Good luck & Cheers!

Hmm, alright, I do have some interesting extra-curriculars. I’ll start working on bulking those up a little bit. Again, appreciate the help muchly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
20 more days !!
The wait is killing me ... :cry:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.68
Send PM
Got the interview invite today! I am a November round applicant from Asia. Even November applicants who are waiting for interview invite don't need to lose hope!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Fellow potential Tuckers, I have a question regarding dress code of the self-initiated interview. The invite mentions "business casual." Did most of wear a suit and tie or just dress shirt/slacks (business casual) when you visited Hanover.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.73
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Brownidentity wrote:
Fellow potential Tuckers, I have a question regarding dress code of the self-initiated interview. The invite mentions "business casual." Did most of wear a suit and tie or just dress shirt/slacks (business casual) when you visited Hanover.

Thanks!

I would think they expect you to wear a suit. This is from Tuck official blog:

“What should I wear for my interview and class visit?”

We recommend wearing a suit when interviewing on campus and if you are just visiting class business casual is fine (khakis, dress shirt, etc). If you find wearing a suit all day to be cumbersome you may wear business casual to campus and change into your suit for your interview.

https://tuckschool.blogspot.com/2009/09/ ... -very.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.73
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
And when I was there last year for the interview, I haven't seen any one interviewing in business casuals. So a suit might be your best bet unless you've a suit allergy :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
During my visit and interview, a couple of folks were dressed very casually (jeans). I was extremely surprised by this. I, myself, wore a full suit and would not recommend otherwise.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Full suit, wore a green tie for a little extra flare but you don't have to go that route. That waiting room was so nervous though - really for no reason since the interview was low stress. I was impressed by how many European Internationals had flown over to interview.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
You guys are awesome, thank you! I'm ready to rock with my classic dark blue suit and a red tie :)

It is amazing the effort people go through, kudos to people that fly in on long haul flights just for a visit.

Cheers
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
tk1192ns wrote:
Got the interview invite today! I am a November round applicant from Asia. Even November applicants who are waiting for interview invite don't need to lose hope!

Congrats! are you from India? I am in a similar situation i.e. waiting for invite. Safe to say calls are over?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2132 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Considering this
Quote:
those that can point to the fact they are doing either something really special in that job (or the more likely case) something special outside of it stand a decent shot at scholarship consideration.

I would say that having an interesting/"really special" job (I am a turnaround manager of portfolio of companies over 1bn$ in assets and do restructuring, valuation, due diligence, M&A, curve-outs, MBOs, LBOs, strategic allainces, etc << working with top executives of the companies) have TWO decent dings from CBS and Booth and yet did not have any interview invite from Tuck and Stern. So at this stage I am even don't hope to get any scholarship. :-D :-D :-D

So where is [at least] my interview invite?

More interesting question to answer for me do I really need an MBA??!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
PTK wrote:
Considering this
Quote:
those that can point to the fact they are doing either something really special in that job (or the more likely case) something special outside of it stand a decent shot at scholarship consideration.

I would say that having an interesting/"really special" job (I am a turnaround manager of portfolio of companies over 1bn$ in assets and do restructuring, valuation, due diligence, M&A, curve-outs, MBOs, LBOs, strategic allainces, etc << working with top executives of the companies) have TWO decent dings from CBS and Booth and yet did not have any interview invite from Tuck and Stern. So at this stage I am even don't hope to get any scholarship. :-D :-D :-D

So where is [at least] my interview invite?

More interesting question to answer for me do I really need an MBA??!

I think they 'really do you need an MBA' question def needs to be answered. And also, with all due respect, I'm not an expert on work experience but it doesn't seem like being a turnaround manager is "really special" to an adcom. They probably just put you into the 'finance' category.

In order to get a scholarship you'll likely have to have a combination of impression stats, superior leadership (inside and outside of your organization) and very compelling essays.

Tuck, specifically, is very focused on offering scholarships to those they consider to have superb leadership experiences.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  43   44   45   46   47  ...  70   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6929 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts