Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 09:46 It is currently 06 May 2024, 09:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 442 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.98
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.98
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
I don't particularily like the new HBS website. The older version was better. One school that has nailed its website redesign is Booth. They have a stunning new one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: HBS '15 (II)
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
pike wrote:
Woah, complete redesign of the HBS website! Threw me for a minute.

You know, I was thinking about the mechanics of reviewing every application HBS receives.

Consider deadline was 24 September and most interview decisions go out October 17. That's 23 days (including weekends!) to review c.9,000 applications. Roughly, 400 applications per day. Dee Leopold reckons she spends 10 minutes minimum per application. That's 65 hours of application reading per day... a large task indeed!

Hi, you are not quite right - 9000 is the total number of applications, not just round 1.

Good luck to everyone,
A.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 442 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
KillerApp wrote:
pike wrote:

You know, I was thinking about the mechanics of reviewing every application HBS receives.

Consider deadline was 24 September and most interview decisions go out October 17. That's 23 days (including weekends!) to review c.9,000 applications. Roughly, 400 applications per day. Dee Leopold reckons she spends 10 minutes minimum per application. That's 65 hours of application reading per day... a large task indeed!

Man, the 9,000 applications are in all rounds, not just R1. R1 probably has 3,000 apps....

haha! that is true. well, it still a lot of apps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.87
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
pike wrote:

Not really... In round 1 the number of applications should be roughly ~3000: which is roughly 130/day if you add weekends.. Now if an application gets two reviews multiply that by a factor of 2... So you have 260 apps to read/day.. Assuming an adcom strength of around 5.. Every ad-com member will read roughly 52 applications a day... If they spend 10 minutes on each app... 520 minutes or 8 hours and 40 minutes of reading per person per day....
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
taksi wrote:
pike wrote:

Not really... In round 1 the number of applications should be roughly ~3000: which is roughly 130/day if you add weekends.. Now if an application gets two reviews multiply that by a factor of 2... So you have 260 apps to read/day.. Assuming an adcom strength of around 5.. Every ad-com member will read roughly 52 applications a day... If they spend 10 minutes on each app... 520 minutes or 8 hours and 40 minutes of reading per person per day....

Adcom is bigger than that...I don't know exact numbers, but I know there's far more than 5 of them. They all have responsibilities in addition to reading applications, so I'd be very surprised if any of them are reading apps for 8 straight hours per day. Much more likely that they have 10-15 people who read for a few hours, do other admissions-related stuff, read for a few more hours, and so on.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
AXKIII wrote:
As far as undegrad goes, we have:
- 33 engineers
- 12 economists
- 11 who studied finance
- 11 who studied business
- 8 who studied computer science
- 9 who studied sciences & maths

Has anyone broken out "engineers" into disciplines or industries? i.e. software, IT, aerospace, energy, electrical, chemical, industrial, etc? Simply saying "engineer" seems woefully inadequate to me, a mechanical engineer (but working business development in cleantech).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools: HBS '15 (II)
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
hunterashmore wrote:
AXKIII wrote:
- 33 engineers
- 12 economists
- 11 who studied finance

Has anyone broken out "engineers" into disciplines or industries? i.e. software, IT, aerospace, energy, electrical, chemical, industrial, etc? Simply saying "engineer" seems woefully inadequate to me, a mechanical engineer (but working business development in cleantech).

How could I break them into disciplines if they do not provide the information?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AXKIII wrote:
How could I break them into disciplines if they do not provide the information?

Sorry, I was not meaning to imply you could with the data available. My question was more generic in wondering if anyone had seen the data broken out to that level of detail.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
hunterashmore wrote:
AXKIII wrote:
- 33 engineers
- 12 economists
- 11 who studied finance

This seems unnecessary. I know plenty of companies that hire chem E's, ME's, EE's, etc for the same position. I think business schools look at your degree and see engineer, that's it. Even you said that you are an ME but your job doesn't pertain much to mechanical engineering.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bryk wrote:
This seems unnecessary. I know plenty of companies that hire chem E's, ME's, EE's, etc for the same position. I think business schools look at your degree and see engineer, that's it. Even you said that you are an ME but your job doesn't pertain much to mechanical engineering.

To many engineers, this would be offensive (though I dont think you intended it that way, so pardon my upcoming rant).

It is like saying finance degrees are the same as the business and economics degrees, so we should just lump them together as well. Unless the job simply needs someone who can handle math, you would never hire a software engineer for a mechanical engineer job or an industrial engineer for an electrical engineer job. The vast majority of engineering jobs are not so vague. Plus, the difficulty of these degrees are significantly different, so to those who obtained the harder degrees this simplification is ignoring the extra work we had to do.

Also, I never said my work does not pertain to engineering. I work a business development role at an energy startup, where I have to know the technical details inside and out for the systems in order to be able to speak intelligibly to it. Everyone working BD here, as well as those in other highly technical companies I have worked, have engineering or otherwise technical backgrounds.

However, I will agree that this level of granularity is not necessary…but then again, no breakout is necessary at all. Does knowing this information change your willingness to apply? No. You will apply to your school choices either way. It doesn’t mean I’m not curious, though.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hunterashmore wrote:
bryk wrote:

To many engineers, this would be offensive (though I dont think you intended it that way, so pardon my upcoming rant).

It is like saying finance degrees are the same as the business and economics degrees, so we should just lump them together as well. Unless the job simply needs someone who can handle math, you would never hire a software engineer for a mechanical engineer job or an industrial engineer for an electrical engineer job. The vast majority of engineering jobs are not so vague. Plus, the difficulty of these degrees are significantly different, so to those who obtained the harder degrees this simplification is ignoring the extra work we had to do.

Also, I never said my work does not pertain to engineering. I work a business development role at an energy startup, where I have to know the technical details inside and out for the systems in order to be able to speak intelligibly to it. Everyone working BD here, as well as those in other highly technical companies I have worked, have engineering or otherwise technical backgrounds.

However, I will agree that this level of granularity is not necessary…but then again, no breakout is necessary at all. Does knowing this information change your willingness to apply? No. You will apply to your school choices either way. It doesn’t mean I’m not curious, though.

Speaking as an engineer, I know that it is generally accepted that a Chem E degree is more difficult than EE which is more difficult than ME which is more difficult than IE, but I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that business schools only see "engineer" and automatically associate that with the ability to do quantitative work. That is why I think breaking down engineering is unnecessary.

However, I do think the original breakdown given is helpful because when I first started thinking about applying to business school, I went to see Harvard's admission stats. When I saw that 40% of the class of 201X was engineering, it gave me hope and provided motivation to look further into the process. If, early in my research, I saw a stat saying that 1% of engineers make it into Harvard, I seriously doubt I would have applied because the odds would have been heavily stacked against me.

That is why I respectfully disagreed with you when you stated, "Simply saying "engineer" seems woefully inadequate to me."
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bryk wrote:
That is why I respectfully disagreed with you when you stated, "Simply saying "engineer" seems woefully inadequate to me."

*sigh* I’m in the minority on this one - I know the vast majority of applicants and adcoms would never need this breakout, but I still think knowing the spread of the type of engineers concentrated at different schools would lend some insight into the school’s industry strengths or areas of focus...but continuing the debate in this thread is getting off topic.

Getting back on topic, how well are fellow R1 applicants doing with NOT thinking about the next three weeks while waiting for interviews??? I’m failing at it...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
hunterashmore wrote:
bryk wrote:

Getting back on topic, how well are fellow R1 applicants doing with NOT thinking about the next three weeks while waiting for interviews??? I’m failing at it...

Definitely failing here as well.... So hard not to think about it... haha, well what can one do. :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
A little late to the party here, but applied in R1!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
A quick question:

I did my undergrad from a top 20 institute in India where GPA is on a scale of 10.0 and isn't relative. I topped my class with a GPA of 9.08. How will HBS compare this with people on a 4.0 scale? I know they ask us not to convert anything but was wondering how they do it.

Will it be 4.0 since I was the topper?
or
Will it be 3.6 (~4*9.08/10)?

I mentioned my rank in the app.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hunterashmore wrote:
bryk wrote:

*sigh* I’m in the minority on this one - I know the vast majority of applicants and adcoms would never need this breakout, but I still think knowing the spread of the type of engineers concentrated at different schools would lend some insight into the school’s industry strengths or areas of focus...but continuing the debate in this thread is getting off topic.

Whenever I started feeling anxious about the interview, I either did practice questions and prepped or I worked out. That helped a bit.. But it's rough.

My general strategy was to turn my anxiety into productivity. Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Kudos
Angelwrath wrote:
A quick question:

I did my undergrad from a top 20 institute in India where GPA is on a scale of 10.0 and isn't relative. I topped my class with a GPA of 9.08. How will HBS compare this with people on a 4.0 scale? I know they ask us not to convert anything but was wondering how they do it.

Will it be 4.0 since I was the topper?
or
Will it be 3.6 (~4*9.08/10)?

I mentioned my rank in the app.

As they mention frequently on their website, the adcom is very familiar with different ranking systems and know that a 3.9 at an Ivy League is not the same as a 3.9 from an unranked school. In that respect, I am sure they will consider both your school rank and your class rank alongside your GPA. I feel you have nothing to worry about.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  64   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts