Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 06:21 It is currently 05 May 2024, 06:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Select the correct answer

You may select 1 option
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30855 [14]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2263 [0]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Astronomers have determined that at least one asteroid weighing about [#permalink]
B for me too...

A. determined that at least one asteroid weighing about 130,000 metric tons flies very close to Earth about every 40 years and that one likely hits....I think it should rather be saying "and that one of those likely hits" the use of one is ambigious here

B. determined that one asteroid that weighs at least about 130,000 metric tons flies very close to Earth about every 40 years and that one hits here we rightly talk about a single asteroid that weighs 130000mt, this has an entirely different meaning but is clear

C. determined that one asteroid weighing at least about 130,000 metric tons flies very close to Earth about every 40 years and one is likely to hit. here its seems like we are talking about an asteroid that just happens to weigh 130000...which one hits every 1200 year?? is not clear...

D. determination of at least one asteroid that weighs about 130,000 metric tons, flies very close to Earth about every 40 years, and it likely hits determination is noun

E. determination of at least one asteroid weighing about 130,000 metric tons, flying very close to Earth about every 40 years, and hittingdetermination is noun

Official answer and official explanation will be posted after some discussion. In the meanwhile, post your detailed analysis and earn Kudos from e-gmat experts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Astronomers have determined that at least one asteroid weighing about [#permalink]
B and C both change the meaning of the sentence into an illogical one. It seems that the same asteroids flies very close to the earth every 40 years and also crashes one every 1200 years. Not logical. D and E have very awkward and wrong structure (have determination?) also the parallelism between "weighting" "flying" and "hitting" does not make sense as these verbs are not logically parallel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Hi Folks,

We understand how important practice for you is. So here comes another question just for you. :)

Astronomers have determined that at least one asteroid weighing about 130,000 metric tons flies very close to Earth about every 40 years and that one likely hits the planet about once every 1,200 years.

A. determined that at least one asteroid weighing about 130,000 metric tons flies very close to Earth about every 40 years and that one likely hits

B. determined that one asteroid that weighs at least about 130,000 metric tons flies very close to Earth about every 40 years and that one hits

C. determined that one asteroid weighing at least about 130,000 metric tons flies very close to Earth about every 40 years and one is likely to hit

D. determination of at least one asteroid that weighs about 130,000 metric tons, flies very close to Earth about every 40 years, and it likely hits

E. determination of at least one asteroid weighing about 130,000 metric tons, flying very close to Earth about every 40 years, and hitting

Official answer and official explanation will be posted after some discussion. In the meanwhile, post your detailed analysis and earn Kudos from e-gmat experts. Happy Solving! :)

Meaning :- Astronomers have determined 2 things
a. atleast 1 asteroid which weighs 130,000 mt flies close to the earth every 40 years
b. 1 asteroid hits the earth once every 1200 years

POE :-
Option A :- Correct
Option B :- change of meaning, this states that there is only 1 asteroid that flies vey close to earth every 40 years
Option C :- same as B
Option D :- 'determination of' is not correct. Also the list of verbs are not connected in a correct manner.
Option E :- 'determination of' is not correct.

IMO :- A
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1861 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Following the guidelines for parallelism...all options except A and B are out as clauses when to be made parallel preferably must have the same word at start of the clause.
Moreover, i think there is no issue with the original sentence "likely" is an aadverb and hence must be used to modify a verb ie..hits hence is correctly used....

So i vote for A.

Archit
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1861 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Hi Folks,

We understand how important practice for you is. So here comes another question just for you. :)

Astronomers have determined that at least one asteroid weighing about 130,000 metric tons flies very close to Earth about every 40 years and that one likely hits the planet about once every 1,200 years.

A. determined that at least one asteroid weighing about 130,000 metric tons flies very close to Earth about every 40 years and that one likely hits

B. determined that one asteroid that weighs at least about 130,000 metric tons flies very close to Earth about every 40 years and that one hits

C. determined that one asteroid weighing at least about 130,000 metric tons flies very close to Earth about every 40 years and one is likely to hit

D. determination of at least one asteroid that weighs about 130,000 metric tons, flies very close to Earth about every 40 years, and it likely hits

E. determination of at least one asteroid weighing about 130,000 metric tons, flying very close to Earth about every 40 years, and hitting

Official answer and official explanation will be posted after some discussion. In the meanwhile, post your detailed analysis and earn Kudos from e-gmat experts. Happy Solving! :)

I do not think B is the correct answer because uses "determined that one asteroid that weigh" now consider the construction used in A "determined that at least one asteroid weighing'...A presents in more clear and concise manner.

Archit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Kudos
Errors to focus on:
i. verb must be used to describe action( in this case determined must be used to describe action done by Astronomers, not the noun-determination)
ii. parallelism issue, parallel marker- 'and' (rule- clauses joined with parallelism markers must start with the same word - in this case - that ... and ... that must be the structure)

case i rules out options D,E
case ii rules out option C
We are left with A and B as possible contenders.

I find not one but two possible issues with this sentence
a. the use of 'at least' should have modified the weight of asteroid instead of the number of asteroids. Because in the second part of the phrase the use of 'one' would be incorrect if the number is more than just one.
b. 'likely' introduces possibility whereas the word 'determined' is too strong a word to term it as possibility

As this sentence satisfies the above raised issues, this is the correct option
Parallelism issue- that is missing in the second clause-
use of noun is wrong as discussed in case i
use of noun is wrong as discussed in case i

If you learnt anything from my post, Press KUDOS
After all, KUDOS is a great way to encourage the complete community. :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I chose B because when I read it as 'astronomers have determined that at least one asteroid weighing about 130,000 metric tons likely hits the earth...' it sounds strange. As "fameatop" pointed out the future meaning of 'likely', I believe that it should be written as 'is likely to hit' or 'will likely to hit' rather than 'likely hits'.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
"A" should be the correct answer as it is has proper sentence construction.

All the other options have some flaw or the other. For eg. "determination" is not required in the sentence.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
A should be correct ...since in be it says "and that one hits" whereas in original sentence it says its likely that it wil hit .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1286 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE:Project Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
I vote also for A : same reasons above

Waiting for the OA :o
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT Date: 04-04-2013
Send PM
IMO the answer is B.

I agree that B changes the meaning but in A the last part is really awkward...

I'm waiting for the OA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools: LBS '14 IMD '16
Send PM
Kudos
Here is my part of the gyan :P

Step1 Meaning :
X have determined that Y and that Z
X(Astronomers) have determined that Y(at least one asteroid weighing about 130,000 metric tons flies very close to Earth about every 40 years) and that Z(one likely hits the planet about once every 1,200 years).

Step 2:
1. X <present perfect > .... action that was in past and cont in present
have determined is right here
can eliminate D and E

2. make Y and Z parallel .
A . that A(at least one....) and that B(one likely) ...... not parallel
B. that A(one ...) and that B(one .....) ........... parallel
C. that A(one ...) and B(one...) ........ not parallel .

Step 3: read the whole sentence and try to make sense.

Step 4: click and move , think abt the next question.

my OA

BTW , this fantastic question teaches one thing .... if the original meaning is distorted in the ans , dont flow with the meaning , flow with the grammar .

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM

A. determined that at least one asteroid weighing about 130,000 metric tons flies very close to Earth about every 40 years and that one likely hits ["likely" cannot be used with "hits"; either one hits or is likely to hit]

B. determined that one asteroid that weighs at least about 130,000 metric tons flies very close to Earth about every 40 years and that one hits [grammatically correct and precise; the meaning does not change b/c the original sentence has "about once" in the portion that is not underlined]

C. determined that one asteroid weighing at least about 130,000 metric tons flies very close to Earth about every 40 years and one is likely to hit ["likely" is not necessary]

Correct me if I am wrong.

Originally posted by novam on 18 Feb 2013, 16:30.
Last edited by novam on 20 Feb 2013, 03:33, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I will go with B- the only statement that is parallel (best match- though it changes the meaning slightly).

OA Please?

regards,
N
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Given Kudos: 137
Send PM
IMO A .
The sentence presents a fact or a result of some experiment by the Scientists.

Here, the Scientists have determined 2 things:
1) atleast one asteroid (that weighs about 130,000 metric tons-> modifies an asteroid) flies very close to Earth about every 40 years
2) one asteroid probably (not surely though) hits the planet about once in every 1,200 years

I don't see any error in the sentence and the meaning conveyed looks fine.

B) was a strong contender of A)

However, it was easy to reject B) on the basis of meaning.
B) determined that one asteroid that weighs at least about 130,000 metric tons flies very close to Earth about every 40 years and that one hits ( Scientists mean to say that one astroid possibly hits the earth once in every 1200 years)

I think B) might be incorrect, because the first part of the sentence in B) puts an emphasis on the weight of the asteroid. However i feel the emphasis should be on the fact that atleast one asteroid (or more than one) travels closely to the earth ( and doesn't hit) once in every 40 years and that one asteroid possibly hits the earth once in every 1200 years .

Good Question!

Awaiting Official Response....
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30855 [2]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos