Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:26 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5416 [29]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [6]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Re: The economic recession of the last year has prompted many organization [#permalink]
Bookmarks
The answer should be B. Savings have not increased as people know how much money will be required to sustain them though the period they are frictionally unemployed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The economic recession of the last year has prompted many organization [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
rishiroadster wrote:
The answer should be B. Savings have not increased as people know how much money will be required to sustain them though the period they are frictionally unemployed.

The argument is based on the entire set of people - employed and unemployed as indicated by the line "even if their job was secure" where as B just addresses the unemployed people. Hence it cant be the right choice.

I think C is correct as it clearly gives a reason as to why people may not have saved.
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Vercules wrote:
The economic recession of the last year has prompted many organizations to make a large number of publicized layoffs, resulting in thousands of lost jobs. Analysts predicted that these layoffs would cause people generally to cut back on their discretionary spending even if their jobs were secure, in anticipation of coming hard times. However, this prediction has not come to pass, since there has been no increase in the amount of money set aside by the general public in savings accounts.

The answer to which of the following questions would be most useful in evaluating the significance of the savings patterns described above?

A) What business sectors were most affected by the layoffs?
B) How much of their savings, on average, do laid-off employees deplete before finding new employment?
C) What has been the percent increase in the cost of necessities such as food, housing, and utilities during the period since the layoffs?
D) What percentage of people laid off have savings accounts?
E) What has been the average salary during the period since the layoffs?

Hi
I would like to vote for C.
A theory is presented, wherein it says, the savings must increase, when lay offs increase. But the current situation goes against the theory. To come to a generalization , I must have the info as to why is such a difference this time. And i think C fills up the gap in the most efficient manner.

Consider Kudos if my post helps!!!

Archit
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32882 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
The strategy id : first of all do not take in account answer to far from the scope of the argument.

Strengthen an weaken the conclusion at the same time.

C straight
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5416 [3]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Vercules wrote:
The economic recession of the last year has prompted many organizations to make a large number of publicized layoffs, resulting in thousands of lost jobs. Analysts predicted that these layoffs would cause people generally to cut back on their discretionary spending even if their jobs were secure, in anticipation of coming hard times. However, this prediction has not come to pass, since there has been no increase in the amount of money set aside by the general public in savings accounts.

The answer to which of the following questions would be most useful in evaluating the significance of the savings patterns described above?

B) How much of their savings, on average, do laid-off employees deplete before finding new employment?
C) What has been the percent increase in the cost of necessities such as food, housing, and utilities during the period since the layoffs?

Hi Folks,

Updated the post with OA and OE.

The conclusion of the argument is that the prediction of decreased consumer spending has not come to pass. The evidence for this is that there has been no corresponding increase in the amount of money set aside in savings accounts by the general public. This question asks us to choose a question whose answer will provide information relevant to evaluating the significance of the fact that the amount of money placed in savings accounts has not increased. The author mentions this savings pattern to support the claim that people have not been cutting their discretionary spending. So we need to find a question whose answer will relate to savings and spending patterns.

Information about which business sectors were most affected by the layoffs will not help us establish the relevance of the savings pattern to the claim.

The savings used by those who are laid off has no bearing on the savings patterns of those who are not laid off, which is the group this argument addresses ("even if their jobs were secure").

Correct. This question asks about the prices of necessities such as food and utilities. If people have not been saving their money, perhaps they have been spending it on necessities (as opposed to spending it on discretionary items). If these items have become more expensive, then perhaps people have not been able to save money despite cutting their discretionary spending.

The percentage of people with savings accounts is not related to the question of whether people have curtailed their discretionary spending or increased the amount they save.

Knowing the statistics for average salaries during the period since the layoffs will not help us evaluate the significance of the spending and savings patterns during that time. It might help to be able to compare the statistics for the periods before and after the layoffs, but knowing just one of those statistics tells us nothing about the trends.

Vercules
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32882 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Thanks Vercules for the explanation :)

Indeed it seems simple as question but was tough
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
I wish after 3 years the GMAT exam was similar to the questions that vercules has posted.
So here we want to know why there has been no money in savings account.
Inflation led to price rise and i don't have money to save. Similar to the company i work in . They make me do work like crazy and don't pay me. These companies i tell you.

Pray for me brothers that i get through
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: International Business, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.49
WE:Web Development (Insurance)
Send PM
Vercules wrote:

For evaluation, the best way is to find an alternative reason :

Question : No increase in saving acc hence no cost cutting.

Now think of alternative reasons why there is no increase in saving account even if there is cost cutting

Attacking the saving part :a) Are they investing elsewhere? Maybe they are buying stocks and houses to prepare better
Attacking the cost cutting part : a) Is there a reason why cost cutting is not manifesting to saving? Has the cost of necessities gone up? So even if they are giving up on luxuries, savings remain the same

We can easily eliminate all options talking about laid off employees only. Cost cutting is mention with relevance to general public

C is the only option left
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
C shows the direct link with the argument.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1103
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo,

Could you please explain why option C is correct? I eliminated option C because I thought it required too many assumptions. If we say that there has been a 50% increase in the cost of necessitites, there may still have been an increase in the amount of the money saved. If the initial salary was let's say a million dollar/year and total expenses were 100k a year, even with a 50% increase in the total expenses, they may still have been able to save the money in the savings account. If we say, there has been 0% increase in the cost of necessities, the conclusion is not affected and we can say they may still have been able to save the amount in their savings account. Could you please explain where am I going wrong in my thinking? Would greatly appreciate it!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
I think that there's a far simpler way to look at this:

Only thousands of people lost their jobs. There are millions of people in a country.

As a result, you can eliminate all choices which refer to the the people that lost their job since they represent a very small proportion of total NATIONAL savings.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
I think that there's a far simpler way to look at this:

Only thousands of people lost their jobs. There are millions of people in a country.

As a result, you can eliminate all choices which refer to the the people that lost their job since they represent a very small proportion of total NATIONAL savings.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts