Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:10 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
Re: SMU Cox 60K scholarship vs McCombs Austin UT [#permalink]
codytravers wrote:
If you don't mind living in dallas after school, choose smu. Great network and you will have ample opportunities in oil and gas. Not to mention paying for mccombs sounds insane because of that interest rate. I believe mccombs is also highly regional but would give you more options to work in other parts of tx like houston and Austin.

He is interested in big 4 consulting, not oil and gas
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kudos
If you go to McCombs you should have a very good shot of getting into Deloitte. If you do an internship with them and then commit to an offer they will pay for your second year of tuition. Just something to think about.

Also, yes Texas is regional, but its by far the strongest B-school in the region. All of the major consulting firms recruit there including m/b/b, mostly for their texas offices.

I don't get why the loan has such an insane interest rate?? Cant you shop around for something more reasonable, cripes.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
TonyMontana896 wrote:
codytravers wrote:
If you don't mind living in dallas after school, choose smu. Great network and you will have ample opportunities in oil and gas. Not to mention paying for mccombs sounds insane because of that interest rate. I believe mccombs is also highly regional but would give you more options to work in other parts of tx like houston and Austin.

He is interested in big 4 consulting, not oil and gas

Tony,
My first preference would be an operations role in a big oil and gas company such as Chevron or BP. However, my research tells me that they do not hire internationals (not fond of work visas). Big 4 consulting hires internationals, however, I am not sure if the consulting lifestyle is for everyone.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
TonyMontana896 wrote:

Lastly, only 52% of Cox grads are employed at graduation, vs over 80% at UT. Even 3 months after graduation only 76% of Cox grads are employed. A quarter of the class still unemployed 3 months out is a huge deal in my mind.

Could you provide me with the source to this data? Was it from business week? thanks

https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... s/smu.html
https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... ustin.html

I'm not sure if I am interpreting the data correctly but for Texas,
"After graduation, but within 3 months, 5% Receive Offers but 11% accept offers?" How's that possible? Is that a typo or am I missing something?
Also, 81% Graduates seeking full-time employment 9% Graduates not seeking employment" Shouldnt this add up to a 100%? thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
ace312 wrote:
TonyMontana896 wrote:

Lastly, only 52% of Cox grads are employed at graduation, vs over 80% at UT. Even 3 months after graduation only 76% of Cox grads are employed. A quarter of the class still unemployed 3 months out is a huge deal in my mind.

Could you provide me with the source to this data? Was it from business week? thanks

https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... s/smu.html
https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... ustin.html

"After graduation, but within 3 months, 5% Receive Offers but 11% accept offers?" How's that possible? Is that a typo or am I missing something?
Also, 81% Graduates seeking full-time employment 9% Graduates not seeking employment" Shouldnt this add up to a 100%? thanks

My apologies for some reason I glanced over that bit on oil and gas. However looking at SMU's employment report, they only placed one person with big oil (exxon). Though I'm not sure either on internationals for oil and gas.

https://www.cox.smu.edu/web/career-manag ... ent-report

As for the employment statistics, I was going off US News. I have the compass membership so I can see all of the data which includes employment stats.

Cox - Ranked 52
Full-time graduates employed at graduation: 52.3%
Full-time graduates employed three months after graduation: 76.2%

McCombs - Ranked 17
Full-time graduates employed at graduation: 80.7%
Full-time graduates employed three months after graduation: 92.5%
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
ace312 wrote:

Based on the US News data that I posted, it would appear that 81% accept an offer by graduation, an additional 11% accept an offer within 3 months making it 92% (aligning with US news). The 5% is the portion that have received an offer but still haven't accepted one yet.

Anyway, I think it's better to look at the portion that accept offers rather than receive them because just receiving an offer doesn't mean its anything worthwhile. Know what I mean.

As for the 85% seeking full time and 9% not, I'm not sure about that. Perhaps they didn't have the data for the remaining students, or those students didn't specify in the questionnaire. Hard to say for sure.
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi
McCombs is dream school only fr the reason that i want to work in oil and gas sector.
Coming to your financial constraint...You must knw one thinkg...You can earn money thru out ur lyf...bt degree once earned will stay thruout ur lyf wid u...even ur lyf partner may lev...bt degree wont.....So pls dnt base ur decision on the basis of money.
McCombs is a gr8 school......SMU is nt bad either...

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!!!!!!!!

Archit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
ace312 wrote:
Hello,
I am in a bit of a bind here. I have been offered a scholarship with 60K scholarship towards my tuition at Cox (BW ranking -29, Average starting salary 87K, Placement: b/w 70-80% 3 months after graduation) at the same time my admit from McCombs (BW ranking -17, Average starting salary 98K, Placement: 95% 3 months after graduation) has no scholarship.

A little background here, I am an international applicant in my early 30s looking for an operations/strategy role in Oil and Gas. My backup plan is to pursue a consulting role at Deloitte, PWC or E&Y. Post-MBA I do not mind staying in Texas.
Now, I did not get to attend preview weekend at McCombs however I was impressed by my future classmates at Cox. However, the GMAT average at Cox (640) is much lesser than McCombs (690). I feel my classmates at McCombs would be of a higher caliber and I could learn from them vs an average experience at Cox. Also, when it comes to case interviews I think I would be better prepared at McCombs vs Cox because McCombs is a feeder school for Deloitte and a lot of my classmates would be preparing for a role in consulting. However, some of my friends disagree. They say I have much better chance to shine and be noticed at Cox by recruiters than be just average in large class at McCombs.

However, in spite of all these positives, I am looking to take a 95K loan with 14% interest from a foreign bank if I end up going to McCombs. My payments post MBA will be anywhere b/w 1500-2000$ per month, which is a substantial amount. Given my post-MBA goals I am not sure if such a substantial investment is worth it at this point in my life and career. My last option is to forgo both schools and apply next year to M7 schools but not sure if I should wait given my age. Please give me your insights and thanks for reading, much appreciated!

My two cents would be McCombs barring any immediate financial concerns. If your debt laden/have pressing concerns that might make the debt burden clearly prohibitive in the future, that might change it. However applying to an M7 next year is never a given, the financial issue won't change, you'll be a year behind and McCombs has as good of a route into O&G as anyone.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
I stand by my recommendation of smu. I live in Dallas and growth opportunities here are outstanding. Corporations seem to be relocating here every month. Plus, take a look at your potential debt load with McCombs - paying 90k off at $1500/month will take you almost 10 years, paying about 175k in P+I combined.

If you haven't already, visit Dallas and its suburbs and see if this is a place you could see yourself living in. Check out West Plano, the Park Cities (where SMU is located), Lake Highlands, etc. If so, smu is a great school with great connections. At the very least, you won't have the burdening debt load over your head.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kudos
SMU is a good school, but I feel that their B-school is rather lacking. I have a friend who went there and he was unimpressed. And yes Dallas is a nice place to work, but McCombs is probably a stronger brand even in Dallas than Cox. Outside of Dallas, Cox doesn't hold much weight.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I have till Wednesday to decide. I have requested the employment report at Cox. Not too worried about McCombs but I still can't make the case for paying close to $1800 for 10 years as a loan repayment if I choose McCombs. This would mean I need to earn an extra 2500$ per month upon graduation, to account for taxes, to be able to pay it off over 10 years. I am going to approach AdCom to see if I could qualify for instate tuition.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3121 [1]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
From what I've heard, internationals are not going to have a great time trying to get into US oil companies... And I really do not think McCombs is a regional school and is definitely of large step ahead of Cox... Especially for someone looking to get into consulting, McCombs's MBA+ program and management consulting practicum are features that I doubt Cox could match...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [0]
Send PM
Exactly, McCombs will help you take to take a unmatched height in oil and gas sector. Moreover you talked about 1800$, you know if you compare the career progress after 5 years from McCombs, it will be way ahead than Cox. I think it can make a difference of about 10,000$ annually.
MBA is all about investing in yourself for the long run.

Dude McCombs, go for it

Archit
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3121 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Archit143 wrote:
Exactly, McCombs will help you take to take a unmatched height in oil and gas sector. Moreover you talked about 1800$, you know if you compare the career progress after 5 years from McCombs, it will be way ahead than Cox. I think it can make a difference of about 10,000$ annually.

Dude McCombs, go for it

Archit

Hello Archit.,

The big players such as Chevron and Exxon don't seem to be very international friendly.. I've spoken with a few people at Ross & McCombs and all of them share that opinion... I'd do a bit more research about the chances for an international at oil and gas companies if I wanted to get into one.. IMHO a good way would be to get into consulting with an energy focus and then try to move into oil and gas.. Not trying to discourage you.. Just a word of caution..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Archit143 wrote:

Dude McCombs, go for it

Archit

You do realize 10,000 USD annually is chump change. After taxes, it will be close to 7,500 USD. For a month that works out to be $625, which is an insignificant amount when compared to the $1800 I will be shelling out towards my tuition loan. I really hope the difference in salaries that comes with the texas education is much larger than that :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1858 [0]
Send PM
i think that if you have international exposure in any field....no company will just based its decision on international bias.
As my entire work ex of close to 4 years full time and 1 yr intern is international...so i do not think it will be a problem.
Having said that i have not interacted with any such candidate.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
ace312 wrote:
You do realize 10,000 USD annually is chump change. After taxes, it will be close to 7,500 USD. For a month that works out to be $625, which is an insignificant amount when compared to the $1800 I will be shelling out towards my tuition loan. I really hope the difference in salaries that comes with the texas education is much larger than that :)

Yes, and your salary will only increase. Pretend you get a 5% raise per year. That's compounded over many years in the work force and because of the higher starting amount will end up netting you a significantly higher salary. In addition, your loan period will end eventually.

So, put together a table and do a 10 year analysis of the compounded salary rate alongside a static loan payment vs. lower salary with no loan payment.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts