Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 20:23 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 20:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 549 [16]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE:Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 549 [0]
Send PM
Re: The possible long-term health risks to airline personnel who [#permalink]
Transposing has not been good for me had to retype answer C because I confused the part.

I will give time to answer and post OA. I am so SORRY!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2095 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Expert Reply
whats the OA?

Please share the OA so that we know the answewr. Also, lets discuss it out more?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.9
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
C is the answer. Since risks - plural we need to use have been a concern. the only answer choices are c and e, but in e the last underlined word going is wrong, so i am going with C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 262 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
WE:Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
hfbamafan wrote:
The possible long-term health risks to airline personnel who repeatedly cross multiple time zones has been a concern since the first jet transports went into service in the 1950s.

A)who repeatedly cross multiple time zones has been a concern since the first jet transports went
B)who are repeatedly crossing multiple time zones has been a concern since the first jet transports that went
C)who repeatedly cross multiple time zones have been a concern since the first jet transports went.
D)repeatedly crossing multiple time zones has been a concern since the first jet transports went
E)repeatedly crossing multiple timezones have been a concern since the first jet transports going

I choosed C.
It is correct in "have" and uses cross in present simple (usual action).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 549 [0]
Send PM
Sorry I thought I put an OA in earlier.

OA: C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
 Q47  V28 GMAT 2: 570  Q40  V29
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
i am confused of using "since" here. as far i know since is used in present perfect tense. but here since is used in past tense. am i missing something?? please help
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1074 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MIT / INSEAD / IIM - ABC
 Q48  V32
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
hfbamafan wrote:
The possible long-term health risks to airline personnel who repeatedly cross multiple time zones has been a concern since the first jet transports went into service in the 1950s.

A)who repeatedly cross multiple time zones has been a concern since the first jet transports went
B)who are repeatedly crossing multiple time zones has been a concern since the first jet transports that went
C)who repeatedly cross multiple time zones have been a concern since the first jet transports went.
D)repeatedly crossing multiple time zones has been a concern since the first jet transports went
E)repeatedly crossing multiple timezones have been a concern since the first jet transports going

S-V agreement issue, "risks" will take "have"

A,B & D eliminated
C vs. E
E: "...jet transports going" awkward & wrong structure. So. C be it!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Meaning;-
The statement is dealing about the "risks"associated with an airline personal(in specific) so it is using "airline personal"not" airline personals" .
"Risks" has got its conjugate verb agreement with "have been",not "has been"so (B) & (D) are out.
(E) is wrong because adverbial modifier "repeatedly"is modifying the verb "crossing" which is not needed (because repeatedly will change the meaning which will say that "its a normal process-often/usual" AND if it was usual/often then we should have used "airline personals"(in general)not "airline personal" (specifically)BUT what is needed is a "who"which can refer to "airline personal" ALSO "went" is preferred over going to stay streamlined to the tense structure.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT Date: 11-02-2012
Send PM
Hi,
I think its C.

Who Repeatedly cross - Must use Present Simple as we are talking about a condition.
"Health Risks" should take "Have"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
This question is from the GMAT prep question pack 1 and here is what the official answer to why "B" is wrong
" The final Clause in the sentence That went into service does not provide a verb to complete the subordinate clause that begins with the words since the first jet transports
can this problem be rectified if we delete "that" from [/i]since the first jet transports that went[/i] .In this case will when serve as the verb of the subordinate clause
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
alwaysudit wrote:
This question is from the GMAT prep question pack 1 and here is what the official answer to why "B" is wrong
" The final Clause in the sentence That went into service does not provide a verb to complete the subordinate clause that begins with the words since the first jet transports
can this problem be rectified if we delete "that" from [/i]since the first jet transports that went[/i] .In this case will when serve as the verb of the subordinate clause

Where is when used? Also, when is not a verb. If you remove that, the subordinate clause in B would be exactly the same as the the subordinate clause in the correct option C (and it would be correct).

However, this issue (The final Clause in the sentence That went into service does not provide a verb to complete the subordinate clause that begins with the words since the first jet transports) is actually very subtle.

Perhaps easier way to eliminate B is the incorrect usage of "present continuous" ("are reading") and the subject-verb disagreement ("has").
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
alwaysudit wrote:

Where is when used? Also, when is not a verb. If you remove that, the subordinate clause in B would be exactly the same as the the subordinate clause in the correct option C (and it would be correct).

However, this issue (The final Clause in the sentence That went into service does not provide a verb to complete the subordinate clause that begins with the words since the first jet transports) is actually very subtle.

Perhaps easier way to eliminate B is the incorrect usage of "present continuous" ("are reading") and the subject-verb disagreement ("has").

Thankyou again Ashish, and sorry for the typing error. What I was trying to say here is- can went serve as the verb for the subordinate clause beginning with since
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
alwaysudit wrote:
What I was trying to say here is- can went serve as the verb for the subordinate clause beginning with since

Yes absolutely it would be a verb. In fact, went can only be a verb always, since its past participle is gone.

This is, as opposed to most other verb forms in English, where there might be some confusion, since for most verb forms, their simple past and past participle is the same (for example, the verb interest has both simple past and past participle as interested).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4587 [0]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
The possible long-term health risks
to airline personnel
who repeatedly cross multiple time zones
has been a concern since
the first jet transports went
into service in the 1950s.

E)repeatedly crossing multiple time zones have been a concern since the first jet transports going
>>What r the errors in E?
Using crossing -a participle(Adj) with repeatedly- a adverb
or usage of present participle going with jet for a past event..
Request the members to share their inputs.

Also feel free to add if u see any other issues in the options.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
GMAT 1: 460 Q32 V22
Send PM
hfbamafan wrote:

The correct answer here is C. The phrase "possible long-term health risks" is plural and have is the correct tense that is used in the answer C above.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 946 [0]
Given Kudos: 206
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM

Subject is "risks" (plural) so a plural verb is required. and "has been" is singular..
So option A, B and D are out

Correct

The subordinate clause "since the first .." does NOT have a verb ("going" is not a verb)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Send PM
mikemcgarry , GMATNinja , souvik101990

Why isn't E the right answer ? I picked C because E sounds wrong but like experts say don't go by the way a sentence sounds in GMAT.
Looking for more clarity on that. Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts