It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 03:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The possible long-term health risks to airline personnel who

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 199

GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The possible long-term health risks to airline personnel who [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 08:23
The possible long-term health risks to airline personnel who repeatedly cross multiple time zones has been a concern since the first jet transports went into service in the 1950s.

Subject is "risks" (plural) so a plural verb is required. and "has been" is singular..
So option A, B and D are out

A)who repeatedly cross multiple time zones has been a concern since the first jet transports went
B)who are repeatedly crossing multiple time zones has been a concern since the first jet transports that went
C)who repeatedly cross multiple time zones have been a concern since the first jet transports went.
Correct

D)repeatedly crossing multiple time zones has been a concern since the first jet transports went
E)repeatedly crossing multiple timezones have been a concern since the first jet transports going
The subordinate clause "since the first .." does NOT have a verb ("going" is not a verb)

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 199

BSchool Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 45

GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 20:19
mikemcgarry , GMATNinja , souvik101990

Why isn't E the right answer ? I picked C because E sounds wrong but like experts say don't go by the way a sentence sounds in GMAT.
Looking for more clarity on that. Thanks

My MBA Journey - https://smalldoubledouble.com

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 45

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 21:22
mbsingh wrote:
mikemcgarry , GMATNinja , souvik101990

Why isn't E the right answer ? I picked C because E sounds wrong but like experts say don't go by the way a sentence sounds in GMAT.

Going is not a verb here while went is. We need a verb to modify the jets in this clause after since.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 11

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8738 [0], given: 105

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 09:41
mbsingh wrote:

Dear mbsingh,

I'm happy to respond. :-) I see that BeingHan already gave you an intelligent response, and I will add a few thoughts.

The word "since" is subordinate conjunction. See
GMAT Grammar: “On a White Bus” with Subordinate Conjunctions
This means that it usually is followed by a full [noun] + [verb] clause. That structure is 100% correct.

It's true that, like many subordinate conjunctions, the word "since" also functions and can just take a noun as its object--"since summer," "since this morning," "since the end of baseball season." These are also 100% correct.

Of course a noun inside a prepositional phrase is allowed to have a noun modifier acting on it, but this is slippery slope. If we have [noun] + [participle] inside a prepositional phrase, we are on shaky ground. If the participle truly is just a modifier, just providing decorative detail, then it could be fine. If the [noun] + [participle] unit, though, contains action and is a kind of proxy for a full [noun] + [verb] unit, then we are trying to cram too much action into a prepositional phrase. That's awkward. If we want to talk about action, we need a full bonafide [noun] + [verb] clause. See the discussion in this blog:
with + [noun] + [participle] on GMAT Sentence Correction

Here's (E):
. . . repeatedly crossing multiple timezones have been a concern since the first jet transports going into service in the 1950s.
I'm going say that "jet transports going into service" sounds like an action--it sounds like a tremendously large-scale activity. That's too much action to put inside a prepositional phrase. That's way (E) sounds awkward to native ears. The full clause in (C) after the word "since" is much better.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8738 [0], given: 105

Re: The possible long-term health risks to airline personnel who   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2017, 09:41

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

The possible long-term health risks to airline personnel who

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap