Last visit was: 15 May 2024, 00:26 It is currently 15 May 2024, 00:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30896 [12]
Given Kudos: 638
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 839 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 276 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Achiever's school - a fresh bold face question from egmat [#permalink]
E,

Though i am not a fan of boldface question, here goes the explanation:

As per my understanding in boldface questions, you should focus more on the bold part only.

words such as certainly, definitely etc imply conclusion.

So E does fit well. the first part is a position that the officer opposes and the second part is the conclusion of the officer, what follows the conclusion is the reasoning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 976 [2]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Kudos
Premise:
* Economical underprivileged students(EUPS) perform worse(even though they need good performance) than Economical privileged students(EPS). Because EUPS do not stay back after school hours
* Critics conclusion : EUPS dont get academic attention
* Admin Officer : EPS stay back for activities which have nothing to do with course
Conclusion : Critics conclusion baseless

My Take E.
E. The first states the position that the administrative officer’s argument opposes; the second states the conclusion of the administrative officer’s argument.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 440 [0]
Given Kudos: 349
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: HBS '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
E has to be the answer ... first is what the admin officer opposes ... second is what admin officer want to conclude
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GPA: 4
Send PM
Evidence used by Critics:At Achievers’ School, students from economically underprivileged backgrounds, who study free of charge under the company’s social responsibility clause, tend to spend less-time in school than the financially well-to-do, fee paying students. This is despite the fact that on average, economically underprivileged children have more pressing academic needs than the fee paying-students
Conclusion of Critics: the economically underprivileged students are not receiving proper academic attention (BF1)
Evidence used by Admin. officer: Careful investigation has recently shown two things: students from financially well to do households hang around in school premises to discuss their after-school parties, and tend to stay back in the school after classes to attend such optional sports activities that have nothing to do with a student’s academic development.

Conclusion of Admin. Officer: this conclusion is almost certainly baseless (BF-2)
Relation btw BF-1 and BF-2
BF-1 is the conclusion of Critics, whereas BF-2 is the conclusion of Admin. Off (the main conclusion of argument).
Here, BF-2 challenges BF-1.
A. The first states the conclusion of the administrative officer’s argument (the first is the conclusion of Critics); the second provides support for that conclusion (the second challenges the first).
B. The first is used to support the conclusion of the administrative officer’s argument (don’t support the Admin. Officer’s conclusion) ; the second states that conclusion.
C. The first was used to support the conclusion drawn by school critics (the first is the conclusion itself); the second states the position that the administrative officer’s argument opposes (the second is the admin. Officer’s position).
D. The first was used to support the conclusion drawn by school critics(the first is the conclusion itself); the second provides support for the conclusion of the administrative officer’s argument (the second itself is the Admin. Officer conclusion).
E. The first states the position that the administrative officer’s argument opposes; the second states the conclusion of the administrative officer’s argument. CORRECT
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
IMO E is the correct answer,
The second bold face is the main conclusion of the passage which refutes the conclusion of the critics.
A, B and C are easy to eliminate,
D is incorrect because the first is critics' conclusion not a support to it and the second is the administrative officer’s conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 539 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
OA most definitely should be E. Let me know if some1 needs detailed explanation or fresh perspective apart from the one's already given.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 33023 [0]
Given Kudos: 4476
Send PM
Trying to figure out the gist of the argument

Grey part is what the critics say: the student are lazy, eventually

Red part what is stated by the critics: notice here the tone of the argument: in C and D the answer choices use "was used" but here we have a strong tone: it states something for sure

Blue part here the officer completely changes the argument with a strong shift as well. He states something else: Y instead of X (the critics) and support in a definitely way his reasons saying A and B

E must be the answer in this tough and well formulated question

regards
Attachments

screenshot.2.jpg
screenshot.2.jpg [ 218.09 KiB | Viewed 11462 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
vabhs192003 wrote:
OA most definitely should be E. Let me know if some1 needs detailed explanation or fresh perspective apart from the one's already given.

For me also E is the best choice but my only concern is however is counter premise indicator. So, can it follow a conclusion?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
A: Critics of the school have concluded that the economically underprivileged students are not receiving proper academic attention - This is not the conclusion of the administrative officer but the critics - Incorrect
B: Critics of the school have concluded that the economically underprivileged students are not receiving proper academic attention - in no way support administrative officers comments as his position is exactly opposite - Incorrect
C: Critics of the school have concluded that the economically underprivileged students are not receiving proper academic attention - Therefore it a conclusion drawn by the critics and not a support / premise for the conclusion
D: Same as D - Incorrect
E: "Critics of the school have concluded that the economically underprivileged students are not receiving proper academic attention" - This is the conclusion / position given by the critics which the administrative officer opposes in the next statement. Therefore "E"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 2.8
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
atalwar wrote:
vabhs192003 wrote:

For me also E is the best choice but my only concern is however is counter premise indicator. So, can it follow a conclusion?

E for me.

When arguments have multiple conclusions, then one conclusion can act as premise for the other conclusion.
In the same way, if I am not wrong, the sentence following However is acting as counter premise as well as second conclusion.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30896 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for an interesting discussion. I have added the official answer to the question. Let me know if anyone has any doubts.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for an interesting discussion. I have added the official answer to the question. Let me know if anyone has any doubts.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Hi,
I know E is the best choice but only doubt is that however is premise indicator so conclusion after however will work? KaranT for the same question replied :

'When arguments have multiple conclusions, then one conclusion can act as premise for the other conclusion.
In the same way, if I am not wrong, the sentence following However is acting as counter premise as well as second conclusion'

So is KaranT correct? Please, highlight this.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30896 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
atalwar wrote:
egmat wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Hi,
I know E is the best choice but only doubt is that however is premise indicator so conclusion after however will work? KaranT for the same question replied :

'When arguments have multiple conclusions, then one conclusion can act as premise for the other conclusion.
In the same way, if I am not wrong, the sentence following However is acting as counter premise as well as second conclusion'

So is KaranT correct? Please, highlight this.

Hi,

First of all, neither "however" is a premise indicator not it is compulsorily a counter-premise indicator.

Secondly, a statement cannot be the main conclusion and a counter-premise at the same time. Since the second BF is the main conclusion, it cannot be a counter-premise by definition.

A counter-premise is something which opposes the main conclusion. So, a statement cannot be counter-premise and main conclusion at the same time.

Now the most important thing regarding your question - you are saying that since a particular rule (however is a premise or counter premise indicator and is a part of BF2) doesn't apply to BF2, you cannot call it the main conclusion. This is inspite the fact that you feel that option E is correct and BF2 is the main conclusion.

So, here's one very important learning for you: Logic trumps every such rule. Logic is the most important thing. Given that we are dealing with English language, we cannot be certain that particular words can only be used in one way and not the other. So, even though, such rules may apply in majority of the cases, these rules are not universal. Therefore, if you feel that logic says something and the rule says something else, then always go by the logic.

Hope this helps :)

-Chiranjeev
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 850 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts