Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 19:45 It is currently 22 May 2024, 19:45
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Given Kudos: 169
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: Kenan-Flagler (UNC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
[/quote] I would also not let a scholarship be a deciding factor for me because I feel that I can easily get back whatever I invest within a year or two max. There is always the risk of recession or something like that happening and getting a job is not a guaranteed thing. However, this is a rare case scenario according to me and it is a risk I would be willing to take provided the school is highly ranked.

But if you are going to the US just to study and you are okay with returning to India soon after completing your course or if you feel that the job location is not as big a deal as paying around a 100,000 dollars for 2 years, then Carlson would be the best option as it puts you in a completely risk-free situation. This will also help you concentrate more on the overall program than just about getting a job. 100,000 USD is not a small amount to repay and you should go with this option only if you have some backup option to repay your loan (if you are taking one) even in the worst case scenario. Now that I think about it, I might go with Carlson too :P Hope I didn't confuse you further :-D[/quote]

The idea that you shouldn't take the scholarship is absurd. 110k is before taxes. Which is more like 150k after. Plus interest for two years at 6 or 7%. So more like 170k. Now if you can't get to the place you want from Carlson go to UNC. But we are talking about UNC not h,s,w. So that shouldn't be a factor. People that say you can make this up in 1 or 2 yrs don't have the reasoning skills to be at business school. You would need to make 80k more a yr to do so. Sry that's not happening. It will probably take you 7-15 yrs to make the difference up. Really think about that.

Originally posted by thisisatestonlyatest on 13 Feb 2014, 06:11.
Last edited by thisisatestonlyatest on 13 Feb 2014, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Thanks for your helpful opinions except USAmbaseeker (you just confused me). Currently I am leaning towards Carlson. But I am still hoping that someone like Georgetown or McCombs may pop up with better offer, so that all this is bit easier for me.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
thisisatestonlyatest wrote:

The idea that you shouldn't take the scholarship is absurd. 110k is before taxes. Which is more like 150k after. Plus interest for two years at 6 or 7%. So more like 170k. Now if you can't get to the place you want from Carlson go to UNC. But we are talking about UNC not h,s,w. So that shouldn't be a factor. People that say you can make this up in 1 or 2 yrs don't have the reasoning skills to be at business school. You would need to make 80k more a yr to do so. Sry that's not happening. It will probably take you 7-15 yrs to make the difference up. Really think about that.

Hey I agree with your analysis. However that comment about not business school material is uncalled for. This forum would be a happier place if we refrain from making such statements!

Thanks,
Prodizy
Retired Moderator
Send PM
livery wrote:
Thanks for your helpful opinions except USAmbaseeker (you just confused me). Currently I am leaning towards Carlson. But I am still hoping that someone like Georgetown or McCombs may pop up with better offer, so that all this is bit easier for me.

No my dear friend. More the choices, more the headache :)

Thanks,
Prodizy
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
prodizy wrote:

Hey I agree with your analysis. However that comment about not business school material is uncalled for. This forum would be a happier place if we refrain from making such statements!

Thanks,
Prodizy

Sry guys. I just keep hearing the same statement and it doesn't make any sense. I didn't mean to be offensive it's just annoying.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
prodizy wrote:

Thanks,
Prodizy

Sry guys. I just keep hearing the same statement and it doesn't make any sense. I didn't mean to be offensive it's just annoying.

It was offensive however. I had clearly mentioned that it was my personal opinion and people are entitled to their opinions. Also, it IS possible to make up the difference otherwise why would Forbes publish the ROI as 3.7? I also did not take into account the loss of my salary for the 2 years as I did not find it a very significant amount. So assuming you are going to be earning 110K. After taxes, you would still have around 80K. In 2 years that would be 160K.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Let's stop getting offended so easily, shall we?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
It was offensive however. I had clearly mentioned that it was my personal opinion and people are entitled to their opinions. Also, it IS possible to make up the difference otherwise why would Forbes publish the ROI as 3.7? I also did not take into account the loss of my salary for the 2 years as I did not find it a very significant amount. So assuming you are going to be earning 110K. After taxes, you would still have around 80K. In 2 years that would be 160K.[/quote]

You just proved my point. ROIs are calculated with no scholarship... Yes, you would make 100 a year but that isn't the equation. You would have to make 80k a year more at UNC than Carlson... Not going to happen. Maybe 10 a year. That would take 17-20 years if you add interest. Go to Carlson!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
USMBAseeker I believe your reasoning is wrong.
The 80K should be the difference in the salary by choosing to attend school A rather than school B (considering no scholarship in school A and full tuition on school B).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aristidestjr wrote:
The 80K should be the difference in the salary by choosing to attend school A rather than school B (considering no scholarship in school A and full tuition on school B).

But that's what I'm trying to say. I never reasoned about which one would be more profitable. I merely said that I personally prefer the fit of a college over scholarship. And I justified the high investment by saying that I would get back what I invested within 2 years.

What you and everyone else is saying would make sense if someone were looking at it purely from a financial perspective.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
USMBAseeker wrote:
aristidestjr wrote:

But that's what I'm trying to say. I never reasoned about which one would be more profitable. I merely said that I personally prefer the fit of a college over scholarship. And I justified the high investment by saying that I would get back what I invested within 2 years.

What you and everyone else is saying would make sense if someone were looking at it purely from a financial perspective.

You can't say that. Because you aren't making that tuition up. You would have made similar money either way. The 170k will not be paid off and definitely not worth fit. Fit maybe worth 5-10k not 170k.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V46
GPA: 2.32
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
USMBAseeker wrote:
aristidestjr wrote:

You can't say that. Because you aren't making that tuition up. You would have made similar money either way. The 170k will not be paid off and definitely not worth fit. Fit maybe worth 5-10k not 170k.

You guys are ALL harshing my hard-won mellow. Can we get this thread back on track and let those of us who haven't heard anything keep freaking out?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34
Send PM
On that note, KF is still reading apps. :|
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.75
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Anybody here can provide me the email address of Katie Dunn??
Retired Moderator
Send PM
tosh612 wrote:

and anybody can PM me the email address of John Hughes!

Sorry for hijacking your post, tosh!!!

Thanks,
Prodizy
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
pan18 wrote:
On that note, KF is still reading apps. :|

Hello my dear fellas,

I just had my interview two hours back. I cannot express how much I enjoyed it. John Hughes took the interview. What an amazing man! Whether I make it or not (my essays sucked), the interview is worth it :)

The interview lasted just more than half an hour. Questions asked:

1. Where did I grew up?
2. Question on my extra-curricular interests
3. Question on my academics
4 How did I get into my first job?
5. What do I like about my work?
6. What am I most proud of?
7. My most significant achievement
8. Short-term/long-term goals
9. Am I satisfied with my GMAT score?(he didn't know it. But he will see it in two days)
9. Why KF?

He started the interview with introducing himself and his background. At the end of the interview he showed me the notes he has taken(obviously, they are not clearly visible) and told me that he is going report all those notes to the adcom. He told me he would give a good score for my communication skills. He also explained how the admission process works. He told me about his experiences with KF, and what makes it a special place. He finally said, if I make it, then do drop him a mail once I am there so that he can catch up with me. Overall a great experience.

If any of your interviews coming up, please feel to PM me if I can be of any help!

Thanks,
Prodizy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Darden - Class of 2016
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Kudos
prodizy wrote:
tosh612 wrote:

and anybody can PM me the email address of John Hughes!

Sorry for hijacking your post, tosh!!!

Thanks,
Prodizy

Check your inbox! I did interview with him too :-D
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  31   32   33   34   35  ...  45   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6936 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts