Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 05:36 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GPA: 3.24
Send PM
Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
First post on the forum too!

Got waitlisted. R3 applicant here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Anyone have any insight/guesses when those of us still waiting on decisions would find out? The last notification date listed is June 1, but I seem to remember hearing of admits well into summer in years past...
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
joannazlhzlh wrote:

Does anyone know the date for orientation? As I am an international applicant, I hope I still have enough time to prepare

Congratulations! Hope you're just as excited as the rest of us about becoming a Trojan.

Thought I'd share that International Orientation begins July 23rd. Feel free to post any other questions here - I'm sure Marshall will begin reaching out officially to you soon.

Fight on!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Operations
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
holycao11 wrote:
Thanks everyone!

So my story goes something like this: 4 years of experience, working at the New York office of a Chinese investment bank, doing equity sales & trading. Undergrad I did engineering at Georgia Tech (how I went from engineering to equity sales is a whole other story).

I originally was planning to apply to schools for entry in 2015, but our team underwent a massive restructuring earlier this year and I decided to apply R3 while my references were still relevant and I still... had a job. I had a short amount of time to take GMATs and write essays, but my biggest hurdle was a very dismal sub-3.0 undergrad GPA. I applied to schools all over, but I had a big preference for the west coast schools. From the get-go, I really liked Marshall, but my boss is a UCLA alum and tried to steer me that direction. However, UCLA reminds me ALOT of Georgia Tech, where I had a very underwhelming undergraduate experience.

I interviewed at USC on May 15 and I immediately loved the school. I got along great with my interviewer and we could have talked for hours if not for the fact that he had another applicant coming in. As a Chinese broker, I take Chinese corporates marketing in SF/LA a lot and have visited UCLA/UCB/Stanford enough times to be a tour guide. However, this was my first visit to USC and it was super hectic as the entire campus was setting up for graduation ceremonies.

Since then, I have read this entire thread and learned a wealth of valuable information. So today I'm sitting at my desk at work when my phone lights up with a 213 number......

Currently I have still yet to hear back from Anderson and am on the waitlist at Ross, but it doesn't matter anymore. I made up my mind way back that its going to be USC. :)

Thanks for sharing your story! I know it certainly resonates with myself and several other frequent posters on this thread as there is a definite intangible and qualitative quality that makes Marshall special. I had some similar choices and found USC to be incredibly different and special after taking the time to visit plenty of admit weekend events.

Congratulations and welcome!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
FightOnTrojans wrote:
joannazlhzlh wrote:

Does anyone know the date for orientation? As I am an international applicant, I hope I still have enough time to prepare

Congratulations! Hope you're just as excited as the rest of us about becoming a Trojan.

Thought I'd share that International Orientation begins July 23rd. Feel free to post any other questions here - I'm sure Marshall will begin reaching out officially to you soon.

Fight on!

Apologize if I missed this earlier in the thread, but when is orientation for non-international students? I will be moving to LA from NY, just trying to sort out housing. THANKS!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing, Real Estate
GPA: 3.56
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
holycao11 wrote:
FightOnTrojans wrote:
joannazlhzlh wrote:

Fight on!

Apologize if I missed this earlier in the thread, but when is orientation for non-international students? I will be moving to LA from NY, just trying to sort out housing. THANKS!

July 28th for domestic applicants. I'll be out of town these next few weeks but am an NYC'er myself. You should post in the admitted students group to get a link to the Facebook page. There's an event in NYC in 2 weeks I spotted some admits putting on.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Concentration: Operations
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
Spotted some new members in the online groups so I'm imagining people are still hearing back for R3/Wait Lists.

Looks like the Class of 2016 is just about complete. Congratulations to everyone! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Anybody know if there's an absolute cut off for scholarships/grants? I've heard if they sometimes have money left over there's the possibility of resdistributing it?

Probably just wishful thinking :wink:

Everyone else as pumped for orientation as I am?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GRE 1: Q164 V167
GPA: 3.36
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Manhattanite wrote:
Anybody know if there's an absolute cut off for scholarships/grants? I've heard if they sometimes have money left over there's the possibility of resdistributing it?

Probably just wishful thinking :wink:

Everyone else as pumped for orientation as I am?

It can't hurt to ask. The worst they can tell you is no.

I was not offered a scholarship by Marshall when I was admitted. I went in and asked for one, showing them a full-ride I was offered by another business school, and they made me an offer. It's a little late in the game now, but it can't hurt to try.

And yes, definitely looking forward to orientation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 4: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 2.71
WE:Underwriter (Other)
Send PM
Anyone know when the deposit is due for those admitted in round 3? Trying to get an idea about when there may be some movement off the wait list...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
doggdetroit wrote:
Anyone know when the deposit is due for those admitted in round 3? Trying to get an idea about when there may be some movement off the wait list...

I had heard that the committee looks upon updates as good indicators of continued interest and a likelihood to matriculate. Have you been keeping them in the loop? It may help!

Best of luck!!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Manhattanite wrote:
doggdetroit wrote:

I had heard that the committee looks upon updates as good indicators of continued interest and a likelihood to matriculate. Have you been keeping them in the loop? It may help!

Best of luck!!

What made you choose Marshall Manhattanite?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
choni wrote:
Manhattanite wrote:
doggdetroit wrote:

Best of luck!!

What made you choose Marshall Manhattanite?

A lot of what the others had said on here. I felt a personal connection to the other students I met and felt that there really was a sense of collaboration over competition here. I went to a few admit events and liked most of the schools I went to but didn't feel as though I'd enjoy and from from my experience as much as at Marshall. I think in regards to academics, all of my choices are on par with one another. The school's personality became a large variable. I loved seeing how administrators and faculty interacted with students here. The program is sized perfectly and lacks the attitude other spots have.

I don't want to feel like I'm in competition with my classmates the way I felt other students alluded to their experiences being during some of my visits. Class visits in particular sort of depicted this very well.

I think USC is a wonderful university on the fringe of becoming a GREAT university. I'm happy to be a part of the transition without inflating my ego the way other schools tried to sell themselves to me by. Plus I can't complain about 2 years on their campus supporting Trojan Football. I went to an ivy so never had the big college sports experience.

Plenty to look forward to.

Kind of mushy but the truth.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 4: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 2.71
WE:Underwriter (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
I was beginning to lose hope, but I got the call this afternoon! IN!!!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
doggdetroit wrote:
I was beginning to lose hope, but I got the call this afternoon! IN!!!

Congrats! 8-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Choni, any updates!?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
Admitted from the wait list. Not sure what to do since I almost have a full-tuition scholarship from UCI Merage. Advice anyone?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts