Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:33 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4422 [88]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1393 [15]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [6]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE:Editorial and Writing (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [2]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.1
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: A recent study compared property crime rates [#permalink]
Kudos
I think the answer here is D. Burglars will steal from areas that they are familiar with and not go out of their way to burglarize. If this is the case then it explains why homes in more traveled areas are broken into more often, vs. less traveled areas, because the burglars are not familiar with the area.

Thoughts? What is the OA?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [3]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
guerrero25 wrote:
A recent study compared property crime rates on various streets in a metropolitan city with the amount of traffic on them and their ease of access. Although some believe that burglary is more common in low-trafiic areas,the study showed that a house on a main road was more likely to be burglarized than one of comparable value on a less frequently traveled street requiring many turns to be reached .

Which of the following ,if true, would best explain the results of the study ?

A) Burglars generally avoid residences with home security systems,which are more common in busy metropolitan areas.

B) Burglars in metropolitan areas who steal large, bulky items generally drive to the houses they intend to burglarize

c)Two weeks after a given burglary , the likelihood of another's accruing greatly increases for any house within a half-mile radius

D)Burglars spend most of their time performing routine , non criminal activities and will usually commit crimes on streets they frequently travel.

E)Burglars in urban environments often share information about which neighborhoods they are unlikely to be apprehended in .

I took lot of time to fix this concept in my mind.. :x

A recent study compared property crime rates on various streets in a metropolitan city with the amount of traffic on them and their ease of access. Although some believe that burglary is more common in low-trafiic areas,the study showed that a house on a main road was more likely to be burglarized than one of comparable value on a less frequently traveled street requiring many turns to be reached .

need to think why between the bolded things..

A,B, C, E .. as those provide information which is not useful.

D gives us the info that is useful.

Burglars spend most of their time performing routine , non criminal activities and will usually commit crimes on streets they frequently travel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [2]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 12-26-2014
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
guerrero25 wrote:

I choose B below is why.Can somebody clarify my doubt ?
The study states that crime rate is high in areas with high amount of traffic and their ease of access.
B) Burglars in metropolitan areas who steal large, bulky items generally drive to the houses they intend to burglarize
B states that burglars needs to drive to those houses to steal large and bulky items but as mentioned in the stem the area with low traffic might be in accessible , there is no place to drive cars(big car or whatever) they drive.

However, D
D)Burglars spend most of their time performing routine , non criminal activities and will usually commit crimes on streets they frequently travel.
The argument says Low traffic and not NO traffic.Lets assume high traffic means 100 cars(ppl)/hour and low means 10 cars(ppl)/hour.And 5 out of 10 cars/ppl are burglars only.and they are spending most of their time performing......in low traffic areas. Hence perform burglaries there only.
Which can be actually contrary to the study and cannot explain it.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6256 [5]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
VarunBhardwaj wrote:
The study states that crime rate is high in areas with high amount of traffic and their ease of access.
B states that burglars needs to drive to those houses to steal large and bulky items but as mentioned in the stem the area with low traffic might be in accessible , there is no place to drive cars(big car or whatever) they drive.

However, D
The argument says Low traffic and not NO traffic.Lets assume high traffic means 100 cars(ppl)/hour and low means 10 cars(ppl)/hour.And 5 out of 10 cars/ppl are burglars only.and they are spending most of their time performing......in low traffic areas. Hence perform burglaries there only.

We Just need to show why the Burglars steal from high traffic areas.

Since that your doubt is on option B and D. Lets see why B is wrong and D is correct.

Option B: They can drive to any areas- low traffic or high traffic areas which has roads. Simply this doesn't explain why the burglary happens more in high traffic areas.

Option D: Since they spend more time in the High traffic areas. Also it says they spend more time on streets they travel frequently. So these burglars are more likely to steal from high traffic areas. This perfectly explain the contradiction in the stimulus.

Hope it helps :).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [0]
Send PM
A recent study compared property crime rates [#permalink]
Gnpth wrote:
VarunBhardwaj wrote:

However, D

Since that your doubt is on option B and D. Lets see why B is wrong and D is correct.

Option B: They can drive to any areas- low traffic or high traffic areas which has roads. Simply this doesn't explain why the burglary happens more in high traffic areas.

Option D: Since they spend more time in the High traffic areas. Also it says they spend more time on streets they travel frequently. So these burglars are more likely to steal from high traffic areas. This perfectly explain the contradiction in the stimulus.

Thanks for your reply Gnpth but i think you didn't read my doubts :) so unfortunately i still have them.
Option D)Burglars spend most of their time performing routine , non criminal activities and will usually commit crimes on streets they frequently travel.
The statement mentioned they frequently travel (They is burglars here) and did NOT mention which general public frequently travel. The area can be classified as high traffic areas when the general public frequently travel on that. Low traffic areas still have some traffic which is traveled by not many but few and these few could be burglars (i can safely assume that NOT majority of the people are burglars. So, I dont think that we can infer that the streets about which the statement is referring is high traffic areas.

Argument : The study states that crime rate is high in areas with high amount of traffic and their ease of access.
B states that burglars needs to drive to those houses to steal large and bulky items but as mentioned in the stem the area with low traffic might be in accessible , there is no road to drive cars(big car or cars with ultra modern wifi,camera,latest weapons :)) they drive.

Please point out the flaw in my reasoning.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
VarunBhardwaj wrote:
Gnpth wrote:
VarunBhardwaj wrote:

However, D

Thanks for your reply Gnpth but i think you didn't read my doubts :) so unfortunately i still have them.
Option D)Burglars spend most of their time performing routine , non criminal activities and will usually commit crimes on streets they frequently travel.
The statement mentioned they frequently travel (They is burglars here) and did NOT mention which general public frequently travel. The area can be classified as high traffic areas when the general public frequently travel on that. Low traffic areas still have some traffic which is traveled by not many but few and these few could be burglars (i can safely assume that NOT majority of the people are burglars. So, I dont think that we can infer that the streets about which the statement is referring is high traffic areas.

Argument : The study states that crime rate is high in areas with high amount of traffic and their ease of access.
B states that burglars needs to drive to those houses to steal large and bulky items but as mentioned in the stem the area with low traffic might be in accessible , there is no road to drive cars(big car or cars with ultra modern wifi,camera,latest weapons :)) they drive.

Please point out the flaw in my reasoning.

i totally agree with varun agrawal... and that was the reason i too dropped D and chose B..........
HOW CAN WE ASSUME THAT THE BURGLERS FREQUENT HIGH TRAFFIC AREAS.....it could be that high traffic area has 100 vehicles at all times containing 2 burglers and low traffic areas have 10 vehicles with 8 burglers........how can D be correct..........B may still be acceptable....
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6256 [2]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
semwal & VarunBhardwaj :

In Option B: It says the burglars drive to places they intended to steal, since they drive, they will be able to go to high traffic areas as well as the low traffic areas.

Does this explain why there is high number of theft in high traffic areas or the main road?.

Option D: Says that these burglars do their routine work. It is assumed that since these main roads are most likely be the places where these burglars travel. since they steal from frequently travelled places, the crime is high on these roads(main road) rather than on the low-traffic areas.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [4]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Kudos
VarunBhardwaj wrote:
guerrero25 wrote:

B) Burglars in metropolitan areas who [b]steal large, bulky items generally drive to the houses they intend to burglarize[/b]

the both section which i have marked talks only about certain burglars so with B.. Hence wont explain much..

However, D

the bold section which i have marked talks only about certain burglars so with B.. Hence wont explain much..

this is the only option I was left with when I did POE, as A,C,E i could easily eliminate but B little bit convoluted but add no info to explain the disparity.

I told myself that Burglars - performing routine , non criminal activities - they frequently travel..... given that he is a burglar why he performs non criminal activity in low traffic area..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [0]
Send PM
Thanks All for putting your efforts in explaining.
I guess this question had too much to assume and i am not really very convinced with any of the choices but D might be better.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
i Agree with you.The "Driving" aspect is not relevant here :)

prasi55 wrote:
Let me try.

B says that burglars "generally" drive to the houses they intend to rob. First, B gives one no reason to assume that the burglars cannot reach low-traffic areas. In fact, if you read B as "burglars generally drive (and don't prefer taking other, less efficient forms of transport)", then it's more reasonable to assume that they will, in fact, take the extra effort to drive down to the low-traffic areas as they might believe they can "take the money and run" sooner. B does not provide any reason for one to assume the contrary.

The question says that burglary is more common in high-traffic areas and the last sentence indirectly equates high-traffic areas (traveled by both burglars and non-burglars) to streets the burglars (and non-burglars) frequent. D says that burglars are more likely to commit crimes in streets they frequent. D thus explains the increased likelihood of burglary in frequently traveled (= high traffic) areas.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
D is obvious, clear and better than both B and E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 184 [2]
Given Kudos: 285
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Btw, this is question from GMAT Prep EP1. Please someone modify the source...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
nightblade354 can you please help with this one? I do not understand how D helps to explain the argument. We need to make several assumptions to make it work...

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I am not very convinced that D is correct, because the "streets they frequently travel" are not necessarily the busy main ones. It can be the case that these burglars frequently travel on less frequently traveled ones.

Could anyone help enlighten me about this?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
How can we assume in option D) that the roads frequently travelled by the Burglars are the streets on the main road? The argument doesn't itself provide this information. Kindly help clarify!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Quote:
I am not very convinced that D is correct, because the "streets they frequently travel" are not necessarily the busy main ones. It can be the case that these burglars frequently travel on less frequently traveled ones.

Quote:
How can we assume in option D) that the roads frequently travelled by the Burglars are the streets on the main road? The argument doesn't itself provide this information. Kindly help clarify!

I also think the same way:
(D) Burglars spend most of their time performing routine, non-criminal activities and will usually commit crimes on streets they frequently travel.
This assumes that Burglars spend frequent time in busy areas. Hence, this option did not convince me.

On the contrary,
(E) Burglars in metropolitan areas who steal large, bulky items generally drive to the houses they intend to burglarize.
At least in the passage, it says:
A recent study compared property crime rates on various streets in a metropolitan city with the amount of traffic on them and their ease of access. Although some believe that burglary is more common in low-traffic areas, the study showed that a house on a main road was more likely to be burglarized than one of comparable value on a less frequently traveled street requiring many turns to be reached
These two information got me thinking: Well, if they DRIVE, then they consider busy areas (easy access) AND they don't consider about non-busy streets (which has lots of turn -> uneasy access) to commit crime. So, to me, (E) made sense and I chose it.

Well, sometimes, you should not overthink a question too much, you just move on :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 262
Send PM
GMATNinja ExpertsGlobal5 KarishmaB AjiteshArun

Experts, I've read through the posts on this question but still don't understand why B is wrong and D is right.

I can see that Option B states "Burglars who steal large bulky items..." which is talking about this subset of burglars who steal large objects. The argument however is about burglars in general. The question stem states that "...comparable value on a less frequently traveled street requiring many turns to be reached". So I thought this made sense because burglars who are driving can make a quick getaway on a main street.

Option D: I do not understand at all why this is correct. This option talks about burglars committing crimes on the streets THEY frequently travel. But how can we assume that the streets frequented by burglars are those that are generally busy?

I am really struggling with this question so any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts