Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 15:58 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Parallelismx                                    
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1037 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Schools: McCombs '17
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 524 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: In the textbook publishing business, the second quarter is historicall [#permalink]
When to use "While" or when not to use "While"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: In the textbook publishing business, the second quarter is historicall [#permalink]
infotalk wrote:
Almost fell for the "while" trap.

What while trap?? I have Gmat in 2 weeks and haven't heard of the while trap.. :O

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Kudos
I remember SC manhattan said that when "and" is used to link two clauses, there is always a comma right before "and". Thus, in order for (A) to be correct, it should look like this: "low, and marketing expenses are high as companies prepare".
I know that questioning an OA is stupid, but can someone please enlighten me?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bookmarks
In the textbook publishing business, the second quarter is historically weak, because revenues are low and marketing expenses are high as companies prepare for the coming school year.

Issue: Meaning | Parallelism

Analysis:
1. The underlined portion of the sentence presents two reasons for weak second quarter. These reasons should be conjugated by "and" and should be parallel.

A. low and marketing expenses are high as companies prepare

B. low and their marketing expenses are high as they prepare
- "their" incorrectly refers to "revenues"
- "they" has to no referent

C. low with higher marketing expenses in preparation
- "with" seems to be incorrect conjunction here
- "higher" incorrectly used as it is used when comparing two entities. Here other entity is missing.

D. low, while marketing expenses are higher to prepare
- "while" seems to be incorrect conjunction here
- "higher" incorrectly used as it is used when comparing two entities. Here other entity is missing.

E. low, while their marketing expenses are higher in preparation
- "their" incorrectly refers to "revenues"

Answer: A.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Hi Experts
Why can't THEY and their refer to companies in option (B)?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63683 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
Hi Experts
Why can't THEY and their refer to companies in option (B)?

The companies aren't even mentioned in (B), so "they" and "their" can't possibly refer to "companies". Whenever you see a plural pronoun, you have to look for plural nouns elsewhere (usually earlier) in the sentence. In (B), the only potential referent for "their" and "they" is "revenues" -- and that makes absolutely no sense at all.
Mannheim Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
'A' is correct - Logical prediction and parallelism are in tact.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 779
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V12
Send PM
guys. this phrase is "in preparation to" is correct but " to prepare for = to infinitive+prep or to+verb+prep" is true or false IN answer D ???? can we use it in GMAT .....I know both answer are wrong for other reason.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Bncong wrote:
I remember SC manhattan said that when "and" is used to link two clauses, there is always a comma right before "and". Thus, in order for (A) to be correct, it should look like this: "low, and marketing expenses are high as companies prepare".
I know that questioning an OA is stupid, but can someone please enlighten me?

Same doubt here.
Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
R.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1444 [0]
Given Kudos: 994
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
official explanation

Correct Answer: A

This problem features both Pronoun and Sentence Construction errors. Answer choices B and E use the pronoun 'their' without a logical antecedent, and are therefore incorrect. Answer choices C and D fail to express the advertising expenses in an equivalent form to the low revenues, whereas answer choice A ('revenues are low and advertising expenses are high') does so properly. Furthermore, answer choice A properly notes that 'retailers prepare' for the busier shopping seasons, correctly using a subject for the verb 'prepare'; answer choices C, D, and E fail to do so.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
For those (including me) who got stuck between option A and D:

Option D - marketing expenses are higher to prepare - Gives the meaning that marketing expenses are doing the action of 'to prepare' which seems illogical.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4929 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
ArashKhurana wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 207
Page: 686

In the textbook publishing business, the second quarter is historically weak, because revenues are low and marketing expenses are high as companies prepare for the coming school year.

(A) low and marketing expenses are high as companies prepare
(B) low and their marketing expenses are high as they prepare
(C) low with higher marketing expenses in preparation
(D) low, while marketing expenses are higher to prepare
(E) low, while their marketing expenses are higher in preparation

Let's move forward with POE: The comparative degree "Higher" must be followed by "than" C, D and E are eliminated

A. Don't see any mistake.

B. Their doesn't have a proper antecedent.

A is the answer.

C. C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
ArashKhurana wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 207
Page: 686

(A) low and marketing expenses are high as companies prepare --- Correct.
(B) low and their marketing expenses are high as they prepare --- use of pronoun "their" is wrong here as it is not conveying to whom it is referring to.
(C) low with higher marketing expenses in preparation --- as per the meaning of the main sentence, there are two reasons and both reasons are independent. One does not affect other. Hence, this is wrong.
(D) low, while marketing expenses are higher to prepare --- the word while presents a contrasting situation. However, the main sentnence does not convey any kind of comparison. The main sentence lists down the reasons for the weak business of second quarter of the publishing business.
(E) low, while their marketing expenses are higher in preparation
--- same as D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC
Hi Rich, Can you help me with this question?
Especially, "and" VS "While"
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Hi AndrewN DmitryFarber mcelroytutoring chetan2u

(A) low and marketing expenses are high as companies prepare
(D) low, while marketing expenses are higher to prepare

meaning wise I choose A
but structure wise: I choose D

My doubt is on this comma

Modifier , SUBJECT VERB , non essential modifier, WHILE SUBJECT VERB
In the textbook publishing business, the second quarter is historically weak, because revenues are low , while marketing expenses are higher to prepare for the coming school year.

Please clarify. Thanks! AndrewN DmitryFarber mcelroytutoring chetan2u
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Teitsuya wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC
Hi Rich, Can you help me with this question?
Especially, "and" VS "While"

Hi Teitsuya,

One of the interesting aspects of SCs is that you sometimes don't need to know all of the grammar rules involved to define the correct answer.

In the opening, non-underlined part of this sentence, we see the phrase "the second quarter is historically weak, because " - so what follows will be some type of explanation for why that quarter is weak. While it might be just one reason, IF there's more than one reason, then we need to present those multiple reasons in PARALLEL format.

The first reason (and it's the same in all 5 answers) is "revenues are LOW...", so this establishes how a 2nd reason would need to be presented (re: ".... are high..."). Eliminate Answers C, D and E.

With the remaining 2 answers, Answer A gives us an actual noun that has revenues and expenses and would be preparing for the next year. Answer B gives us a vague plural pronoun (re: "they") which would refer back to "revenues" and/or "expenses" - because those are the only plural nouns in the sentence. Neither revenues nor expenses can 'prepare' for anything, so we can eliminate Answer B.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7777 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mSKR
First, I'll suggest not to worry much about comma placement in the non-underlined portion. Although we don't *generally* put a comma between subject and predicate, there aren't many absolute rules about commas, and the GMAT will certainly add a comma if it might help with clarity and sentence flow. In any case, clearly the GMAT thinks it's okay, so even if we wouldn't put one there, we can leave it alone.

As for your analysis, notice that "revenues are low" has a subject and a verb, so the part beginning with "because" is a dependent clause, not a modifier. This means that in D, we have a main clause followed by TWO dependent clauses: "The quarter is weak because revenues are low, while expenses are higher." This structure doesn't make that last part as clearly parallel to "revenues are low." A makes it much clearer that both trends (low revenue, higher expenses) contribute to the weak quarter.

I don't know if this clears up your concern, since I can't see why A struck you as having a poor structure. Let me know if there's any trouble with A I can address.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts