Last visit was: 07 Jun 2024, 00:04 It is currently 07 Jun 2024, 00:04
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12  ...  14   
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Send PM
Re: Free Profile/Essay Review Service - Free [#permalink]
Expert Reply
KL3184 wrote:
OasisGC,

Thank you for reviewing my essay. I appreciate your helpful response.

Your feedback shows a careful analysis of each and every statement. The best part - you pointed out words that are vague for an MBA essay and statements that can be restructured. I really wanted a second opinion from an expert and I got it from you. Thank you for giving your time and opinion!

Sorry for the late response!

Hi KL3184,

I am glad that I could help you.

Wish you all the best and please feel free to let me know if you need any help.

Cheers
Admission Consultant
Send PM
Expert Reply
kheown wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for doing this!! I'm going to apply this fall and would appreciate getting your advice. I'll PM you with the doc.

Best,
kheown

Please check your PM and feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.

Good luck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
OasisGC wrote:
kheown wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for doing this!! I'm going to apply this fall and would appreciate getting your advice. I'll PM you with the doc.

Best,
kheown

Please check your PM and feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.

Good luck

Thank you for thorough and honest response about my profile. I appreciate your helpful insight!

Your feedback clearly states what I should focus on my essays, what areas of my profile need to be explained and some of my strengths and wekanesses.

Thank you for your your time and sharing your thoughts with me!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Hi all,

I would like to know whether volunteering in any (Oxfam and etc.) non profit work is taken into account by adcoms? Or this must not be volunteering, but full time job? What are your take ons? ))
Admission Consultant
Send PM
Free Profile/Essay Review Service - Free [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mrslee wrote:
Hi all,

I would like to know whether volunteering in any (Oxfam and etc.) non profit work is taken into account by adcoms? Or this must not be volunteering, but full time job? What are your take ons? ))

Hi,

Thanks for your questions. I am sorry but I am not clear about what you are asking here.

Do you mean that volunteer work is considered as full time? - No, Adcoms want your full time work.
Volunteering work in general? - Adcoms surely appreciate the volunteering work, you gotta have the story thats it.

Does this help?

Good luck
Manager
Manager
Send PM
OasisGC wrote:
mrslee wrote:
Hi all,

Hi,

Thanks for your questions. I am sorry but I am not clear about what you are asking here.

Do you mean that volunteer work is considered as full time? - No, Adcoms want your full time work.
Volunteering work in general? - Adcoms surely appreciate the volunteering work, you gotta have the story thats it.

Does this help?

Good luck

Ooops,

Sorry for misexpressing my thoughts. I am full time worker, just want to spend 2-3 hours of each week of mine working as a volunteer in a non profit organizations' projects. Would it add up on my application?

Thanks
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [1]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
mrslee wrote:
OasisGC wrote:
mrslee wrote:
Hi all,

Hi,

Does this help?

Good luck

Ooops,

Sorry for misexpressing my thoughts. I am full time worker, just want to spend 2-3 hours of each week of mine working as a volunteer in a non profit organizations' projects. Would it add up on my application?

Thanks

I think it's still unclear what you mean by "add-up".

Are you asking if it adds time onto the number of months of full-time work experience you have? If that's the case, then no, 2-3 hours a day volunteering will not be considered additional full time work experience.

If you are asking if it "add's" to your application in general, then yes, as OasisGC stated, adcom like to see all extracurriculars that you participate in to get a better sense of who you are as a person.

There is no magic formula or algorithm the adcoms use to determine whether to admit or deny an applicant. It's not like they plug in the number of hours you work a week and the number of hours you volunteer to come up with some sort of metric to measure you. They care more about impact and passion rather than a list of EC's and an account of active hours. They want to select leaders and individuals that will accomplish and put forth a good name for the school when they leave. They don't want people who just collect activities to put on a list or resume or show up to events just because they wanted to say they were there.

If you do end up volunteering somewhere after work, just make sure it's something that you're passionate about and that you end up making a difference in some way. It also helps to tell your story and explain your aspirations as a person. For example, a friend of mine volunteers for a program that mentors low-income individuals to help them overcome career and employment barriers. He wants to be a consultant one day and so that experience is perfect for him and his interests. It's also given him a lot of experiences he can talk about in essays and lessons he's learned.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ooops,

Thanks[/quote]

I think it's still unclear what you mean by "add-up".

Are you asking if it adds time onto the number of months of full-time work experience you have? If that's the case, then no, 2-3 hours a day volunteering will not be considered additional full time work experience.

If you are asking if it "add's" to your application in general, then yes, as OasisGC stated, adcom like to see all extracurriculars that you participate in to get a better sense of who you are as a person.

There is no magic formula or algorithm the adcoms use to determine whether to admit or deny an applicant. It's not like they plug in the number of hours you work a week and the number of hours you volunteer to come up with some sort of metric to measure you. They care more about impact and passion rather than a list of EC's and an account of active hours. They want to select leaders and individuals that will accomplish and put forth a good name for the school when they leave. They don't want people who just collect activities to put on a list or resume or show up to events just because they wanted to say they were there.

If you do end up volunteering somewhere after work, just make sure it's something that you're passionate about and that you end up making a difference in some way. It also helps to tell your story and explain your aspirations as a person. For example, a friend of mine volunteers for a program that mentors low-income individuals to help them overcome career and employment barriers. He wants to be a consultant one day and so that experience is perfect for him and his interests. It's also given him a lot of experiences he can talk about in essays and lessons he's learned.[/quote]

forget about my post
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Hi,

I have admission offers with me and I would like you to help me decide about the best option for me.
I have been confused for a while now and I think an expert's opinion will really help.
I will PM you details about my profile and the admission offers.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Hello Experts

I want to get my profile evaluated. I am having a hard time fixing on the correct schools to apply to. Can you pls help ?

I am from India, Work Ex: 4 years in IT(from top5 in India). Gmat: retaking, expecting 730+. I am only looking for 1 year programs. I am keen on MC post mba, have some good XCs. I have so far decide to go for Insead and ISB for 2016 intake. Can you pls suggest some more schools to consider(I am open to any country, but require a good consulting placement opportunity post mba). Thank you for your time!
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
schazamhuzzah wrote:
Hello Experts

I want to get my profile evaluated. I am having a hard time fixing on the correct schools to apply to. Can you pls help ?

I am from India, Work Ex: 4 years in IT(from top5 in India). Gmat: retaking, expecting 730+. I am only looking for 1 year programs. I am keen on MC post mba, have some good XCs. I have so far decide to go for Insead and ISB for 2016 intake. Can you pls suggest some more schools to consider(I am open to any country, but require a good consulting placement opportunity post mba). Thank you for your time!

Hi,

Thanks for writing here.

I would recommend you to also consider Canada and Australia. As an International Student, it is always going to be challenging for you to obtain required work permit/residency to settle after your MBA. In terms of schools, you can also consider a few colleges based out of London. I would also request you to identify a few tier two schools as things might not go always as planned.

Hope this helps you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.06
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hey OasisGC, appreciate you doing this. I am applying for the 2016 fall intake, and I am keen on applying to only Canada at the moment. I have scheduled my GMAT to be on the 30th of July (this will be my third attempt). Have already taken the IELTS, and have a score of 8.0. I am PMing you my profile and will greatly appreciate your assessment/guidance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Hi guys, I really thank you for helping out. I'm PMing you in a minute, I really appreciate it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Hi,

I sent you a PM weeks back and am still awaiting a reply :)
Admission Consultant
Send PM
Expert Reply
sanrohan wrote:
Hi,

I sent you a PM weeks back and am still awaiting a reply :)

Hi,

Thanks for your patience, you have a PM. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Hi guys,

Need your opinion in evaluating which b-schools I should target

Profile-
Work exp: 4 years+ in investment banking support function. Got my CFA(US) charter this year. Worked for 4 years in India and now moved to London in the same role.
Education: B tech from IIT. 7.2/10 cgpa
Gmat: 780

Which college would it be realistic to target?. Important criteria ( in order of preference): Brand, cost, recognition in India, job opportunities
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
keshav6621 wrote:
Hi guys,

Need your opinion in evaluating which b-schools I should target

Profile-
Work exp: 4 years+ in investment banking support function. Got my CFA(US) charter this year. Worked for 4 years in India and now moved to London in the same role.
Education: B tech from IIT. 7.2/10 cgpa
Gmat: 780

Which college would it be realistic to target?. Important criteria ( in order of preference): Brand, cost, recognition in India, job opportunities

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

You have a strong profile for top school across all regions. What is important for you would ideally be to decide where do you wanna settle after your MBA and then take the decision.

One common aspect fits in all your preferences - US b-schools. However, I would always recommend to choose region first and then choose the best school from that Region.

I hope this helps. Good Luck
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12  ...  14