Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 21:36 It is currently 22 May 2024, 21:36
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: DeGroote (McMaster) Class of 2018 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
arsharvin wrote:
Hey All,

Just got the mail Inviting to the Co-op Interview.

The mailer states that "Failure to contact SE – CPD within one week will result in the withdrawal of your application to the Co-op program and you will instead be considered for the traditional MBA program." What exactly does considered mean here? The mail also said i have passed the first stage of the application screening process for co-op MBA.

Also is the fees for the entire co-op program close to USD $77,600 as stated in this page for international ? https://mbarecruit.degroote.mcmaster.ca/ ... s/tuition/ . If somebody has the figure for tuition fees for International students, please post it here

Give them a call to book an appointment for the interview. Call them within a week.

I believe it is 77,600 CAD not USD.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Shru590 wrote:
Hi,

I have got an admit to FT MBA at Degroote School of business. I have spoken to some people at the university and they have asked me to try for co-op. I am getting mixed reviews about it. Can anyone pls suggest or give me the comparison between FT and Co-op MBA. That would be really helpful

Thanks

Have a look here to get the details about the program structure of the co-op. https://mbarecruit.degroote.mcmaster.ca/ ... p-program/
To compare, Co-op is probably more ideal for career changers and fresher graduates, since you get three 4 month work terms. See what fits your profile better. Share your profile if you are not able to decide.

Stats for the Co-op are much better than FT. Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
manishbhusal wrote:
Hi indierohit,

I too was surprised to see that only 49% FT students got placed. I mean isn't it too low,because even much lower ranked B schools have almost 90-100% placements.

Regards
Manish

indierohit wrote:
Hey all,

Got the offer letter for the Co-op program. :)
My co-op interview was the same format mentioned by Ashish. Also, no mention of scholarship.

Hi durahamter, Yea the practice session shows up some really weird questions, ignore them and follow the questions we have shared on this forum.

Congrats Ashish and Parth for the admits.

Ashish, will they let you know about the result of waitlist by the end of the month? Hope you get into the Co-op. A while back, I was looking at the placement stats of 2015 and it said about 80% of co-op students placed and 49% of FT students placed. That's a big difference. See if you can confirm this stat. Also, I think I would choose DeGroote FT over Alberta FT but like durahamter said, try analyzing which would be the better fit for you.

Quite low Manish. Are you based in Canada? Any chance to get 2016 placement stats? Would they be out yet?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Hi indierohit,

I am an Indian Applicant. I have no info related to 2016 placement stats.

Regards
Manish

indierohit wrote:
manishbhusal wrote:
Hi indierohit,

I too was surprised to see that only 49% FT students got placed. I mean isn't it too low,because even much lower ranked B schools have almost 90-100% placements.

Regards
Manish

indierohit wrote:
Hey all,

My co-op interview was the same format mentioned by Ashish. Also, no mention of scholarship.

Hi durahamter, Yea the practice session shows up some really weird questions, ignore them and follow the questions we have shared on this forum.

Ashish, will they let you know about the result of waitlist by the end of the month? Hope you get into the Co-op. A while back, I was looking at the placement stats of 2015 and it said about 80% of co-op students placed and 49% of FT students placed. That's a big difference. See if you can confirm this stat. Also, I think I would choose DeGroote FT over Alberta FT but like durahamter said, try analyzing which would be the better fit for you.

Quite low Manish. Are you based in Canada? Any chance to get 2016 placement stats? Would they be out yet?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
indierohit wrote:
Shru590 wrote:
Hi,

I have got an admit to FT MBA at Degroote School of business. I have spoken to some people at the university and they have asked me to try for co-op. I am getting mixed reviews about it. Can anyone pls suggest or give me the comparison between FT and Co-op MBA. That would be really helpful

Thanks

Have a look here to get the details about the program structure of the co-op. https://mbarecruit.degroote.mcmaster.ca/ ... p-program/
To compare, Co-op is probably more ideal for career changers and fresher graduates, since you get three 4 month work terms. See what fits your profile better. Share your profile if you are not able to decide.

Stats for the Co-op are much better than FT. Hope this helps.

Hi indierohit,

thanks for the input. Following are my profile details.

GMAT - 670
TOEFL: 107
Work-Ex: 33 months
industry: oil and gas
profession: instrumentation engg.
GPA: 8.75/10
looking for a career change

What all do they consider in a profile for co-op program?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
durahamter wrote:
aashishmalhotra02 wrote:
Hi All,

Just an update from my side.

After completing the Co-op interview, i got an admit for the Traditional MBA (which is there full time MBA)
Also, the offer letter mentions that i have been put in the wait list for the Co-op program. I guess they'll update the applicants with the Co-op result at the end of the month.

They haven't mentioned anything about scholarships right now. I know a guy who got admitted in the last co-op year (2015). He received the same email (traditional before the co-op result). But in his traditional MBA admit , he was explicitly given a 6000 CAD scholarship.

Hoping that the scholarship will be disclosed in the co-op result.

Now the tough bit starts. Have to decide between DeGroote (Traditional / Coop ) MBA and Alberta FT MBA.
I declined the Schulich MBA (89500 CAD is too much !!) :(

Any input guys ?

Hello aashishmalhotra02,

Thank you for your input regarding your co-op interview. I’m quite glad that you got into DeGroote. I wish you the best of luck regarding your future career.

Now deciding between Alberta FT MBA and DeGroote, I guess you know this but you always need to weight the advantages and disadvantages between both programs and your career goals.

I don’t know your situation, but for example if your switching careers and would like to have a career let’s say in Finance, DeGroote is close within the GTA area, which most major banks and investment firms are located, so you need to look into it if you’re interested in Finance.

As I said, it depends what you want to do in life, are you an International student and would love to stay, work and live in Canada, Ontario immigration programs are somewhat better than Alberta to be honest.

You are just looking for a midsize city and would love to have greater chances to work with the energy and oil industry, Edmonton might be the answer.

Honestly choosing between these two programs is down to what you expect for the following years. Both universities are very good and well known in their respective provinces. However if you ask me, I tend to opt for DeGroote.

Hamilton is located what Canadians call the Golden Horseshoe, spamming from the Niagara Region up to Peterborough in the northeast, at least a quarter of Canada’s population lives in this region.

Hamilton is known for its steel industry, Niagara region for its tourism, ecological industry and world renown wineries, Oshawa, Oakville, Whitby and Kitchener all contain major large scale industrial production industries. IT, health care, research and finance is providing for the major industries growth in Toronto. The suburban cities of Brampton, Markham and Mississauga are emerging as technology hubs. I can resume it like this, McMaster is located in an area where great part of the Canadian economy develops, and be sure that several case studies and exposure will be within this region.

Alberta major boom and growth was due to high oil prices, as we all know, oil prices have greatly affected the economy in Alberta and Canada as general. Is it possible that this will forced Edmonton and Calgary to develop and diversify in other type of industries. Alberta has a lot of potential, because it’s a province that needs to grow, it needs highly qualified people to improve the province.
Alberta has breathtaking nature life, cities are small if you compared them with other major cities hubs, and life tends to be less stressful somehow when you live in places with low population count. However I do have to warn you that winters are very harsh in Alberta. Expect weeks of very cold days and lots of snow.

I hope others here can give you more thoughts about this topic. To be honest try to avoid rankings and stuff, don’t opt for a school only because in this year ranking a school was better than the other. In my humble opinion nearly all universities in Canada are great. It’s funny to see for example that Rottman has yet to win an MBA games so far, while DeGroote has secured 3 Queen’s Cups in the last 5 years. Does that means that DeGroote is better than Rottman because it has won more Queen’s cups? Not really, but that doesn’t mean neither the opposite.

In other words, try to choose the program that fit more closely to your career and personal goals.

Kind regards

Hi durahamter,

Thanks for that! :-D
I've heard about the oil bust in Alberta. As far as DeGroote goes - Does the coop and FT placement differ that much (as indierohit mentioned 80% vs 49%) :shock: ?

Are you based out of canada ?

The only thing keeping me from accepting the DeGroote FT MBA admit is the Coop/FT difference. To be honest, i would prefer the extra work terms. Networking would surely help secure a job there.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
indierohit wrote:
Hey all,

Hey indierohit,

Congrats dude !! :-D

How was your interview ? Was the interviewer impressed ? :P
Did you get the co-op admit directly or were you offered the FT before that? I am hoping they tell me the waitlist result by the end of the month ! :P
Jeniffer had mentioned something like this at the end of the interview.
Have you emailed them regarding the scholarship decision ? Do let me know if you get any scholarship.

Damn! It's hard to keep waiting for the result :(
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey aashishmalhotra02

Thanks!
The interview went well. Very smooth compared to the others I've had so I was quite confident. The interviewer just had a straight face :?
I got the Co-op directly. I emailed them regarding the scholarship and they replied that the Uni could not offer me any.
All the best for your result!

Hey Shru590,

Your profile seems quite similar to mine. Did they already offer you the FT admission?
They want you to showcase why the Co-op will be beneficial to you and they want to see how capable you are to make use of 3 work terms which is why they probably have a very different interview structure. Although, I do feel it is hard to judge over an interview.
All the best to you!

Thanks,
Rohit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Hi,
I just submitted my online interview for FT MBA. I was not able to complete the written essay. I think i accidentaly hit the submit button since it was submitted too soon.
Did anyone else faced the same problem? Any one who was not able to complete the written essay.
Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
indierohit wrote:
Hey aashishmalhotra02

Thanks!
The interview went well. Very smooth compared to the others I've had so I was quite confident. The interviewer just had a straight face :?
I got the Co-op directly. I emailed them regarding the scholarship and they replied that the Uni could not offer me any.
All the best for your result!

Hey Shru590,

Your profile seems quite similar to mine. Did they already offer you the FT admission?
They want you to showcase why the Co-op will be beneficial to you and they want to see how capable you are to make use of 3 work terms which is why they probably have a very different interview structure. Although, I do feel it is hard to judge over an interview.
All the best to you!

Thanks,
Rohit

Hey indierohit,

Yeah I already have the offer letter for FT traditional MBA. So I think now my chances are pretty weak.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q37 V40
Send PM
hey just a quick question for the guys who sent their official transcripts to mcmaster.

i have collected the same (masters and undergrad) from the respective uni's.

however while sending them, do they need to go as 2 separate couriers (with Sender marked as the uni address) or can these be sent in one courier with myself as sender (saving on expensive courier charges) ?

your advice would be appreciated!

thanks and best wishes.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Round2fight wrote:
hey just a quick question for the guys who sent their official transcripts to mcmaster.

i have collected the same (masters and undergrad) from the respective uni's.

however while sending them, do they need to go as 2 separate couriers (with Sender marked as the uni address) or can these be sent in one courier with myself as sender (saving on expensive courier charges) ?

your advice would be appreciated!

thanks and best wishes.

Hey check with the Uni because I feel they may not accept it unless it is in a sealed envelope of your Unis.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q37 V40
Send PM
got it..they are in sealed envelopes but uni's just hand them over to us lol they wont bother mailing them. i guess it will have to be 2 seperate couriers with the sender marked as uni.

thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
People who have received admits, I understand we need to pay the deposit only in June. I guess even Visa applications should start then appx. So as of now, is there anything we need to do or work on now? Just curious to know since I have a lot of free time :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
indierohit wrote:
People who have received admits, I understand we need to pay the deposit only in June. I guess even Visa applications should start then appx. So as of now, is there anything we need to do or work on now? Just curious to know since I have a lot of free time :P

Hi Indierohit, what other offers you have? Are you going to join Degroote FT MBA?
I got offer today and have been asked to confirm by april 13th. I have heard lot about Co-op program but not much about FT MBA.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
indierohit wrote:

Hi indierohit,

Still waiting for the Co-op result.
I had mailed them regarding the mentioned March 29th Response deadline.

We need to go to the student center. Login with our MacId and password (which we were supposed to register a while back) and Click on Accept/Reject by March 29th, 2016.
This deadline was specific to my admit letter.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rakaisraka wrote:
indierohit wrote:

Hi Indierohit, what other offers you have? Are you going to join Degroote FT MBA?
I got offer today and have been asked to confirm by april 13th. I have heard lot about Co-op program but not much about FT MBA.

Hi,

I don't have any other offers but I am waiting for some other results to come in.

FT MBA's stats were not as impressive acc to me. But its your call, see if you really need the work ex during the program then the Co-op will suit you. Else look at other unis as well.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6936 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts