Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Geometryx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3604 [76]
Given Kudos: 94
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.52
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31948 [16]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V39
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V33
Send PM
Re: A framed picture is shown above. The frame, shown shaded, is 6 inches [#permalink]
Any chance to resolve it without going into equations? If the smaller quadrilateral with the area of 24 is inside of the larger quadrilateral with the area of 48 and the border is uniform that these two quadrilaterals should have the same proportion? or something like that? the pair of 6 and 4 immediately comes to mind... Is it a good tactic here just to realize that using facts A and B must give us a solution and move to the next problem?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Given Kudos: 133
Send PM
Re: A framed picture is shown above. The frame, shown shaded, is 6 inches [#permalink]
Kudos
Erjan_S wrote:
Any chance to resolve it without going into equations? If the smaller quadrilateral with the area of 24 is inside of the larger quadrilateral with the area of 48 and the border is uniform that these two quadrilaterals should have the same proportion? or something like that? the pair of 6 and 4 immediately comes to mind... Is it a good tactic here just to realize that using facts A and B must give us a solution and move to the next problem?

Hi Erjan,

I found this explanation helpful- https://www.gmatquantum.com/gmat-quantit ... view-2017/

Check it out as it might help you too.

Aiena.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Hi chetan2u niks18 amanvermagmat gmatbusters

Quote:
A framed picture is shown above. The frame, shown shaded, is 6 inches wide and forms a border of uniform width around the picture. What are the dimensions of the viewable portion of the picture?

(1) The area of the shaded region is 24 square inches.
(2) The frame is 8 inches tall.

Quote:
let the length be x, so dimensions of bigger rectangle = 6 and x...
Also let the width around be y, so dimensions are 6-2y and x-2y....

For the Q asked, we require value of x and y....

Quote:

lets see the statements-

Area of shaded region = \(6*x - (6-2y)*(x-2y) = 6x - 6x+12y+2xy-4y^2 = 12y+2xy-4y^2 = 24\)
We can't solve for two variables through one equation...
Insuff

Do I need to perform the said step by opening the brackets? Can I halt by seeing: A quadratic equation with two unknowns , clearly insufficient .

Quote:
we know the dimensions of bigger frame...
nothing about the inner picture
Insuff

We know x, but have no info about another variable. Insuff

Combining both statements, I have a quadratic equation (which opens the possibility of even a negative
value as a root of equation, but a side can not be negative) and I do have an unique value of x from St 2.
Clearly suff, Let me know if my approach is valid.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5582 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:

lets see the statements-

Area of shaded region = \(6*x - (6-2y)*(x-2y) = 6x - 6x+12y+2xy-4y^2 = 12y+2xy-4y^2 = 24\)
Insuff

Reply: Sometimes, the terms cancel out and equation can be solved. But yes careful examination can show that it is unsolvable. But under exam pressure sometimes, one tends to miss small aspects which can lead to mistake, So it is better to open the brackets. Believe me , it will not take more than 5 secs. One need to improve the calculation speed.

Quote:
Combining both statements, I have a quadratic equation (which opens the possibility of even a negative
value as a root of equation, but a side can not be negative) and I do have an unique value of x from St 2.
Clearly suff, Let me know if my approach is valid.[/color]

Reply: Why you think that every quadratic equation gives one positive and negative root. See, even in this questions, both roots are positive.
It is better to solve the equation, Cutting corners ( for sake of saving some time) for the question one knows could be proved detrimental.

adkikani wrote:
Hi

Quote:
A framed picture is shown above. The frame, shown shaded, is 6 inches wide and forms a border of uniform width around the picture. What are the dimensions of the viewable portion of the picture?

Quote:
let the length be x, so dimensions of bigger rectangle = 6 and x...
Also let the width around be y, so dimensions are 6-2y and x-2y....

For the Q asked, we require value of x and y....

Quote:

lets see the statements-

Insuff

Do I need to perform the said step by opening the brackets? Can I halt by seeing: A quadratic equation with two unknowns , clearly insufficient .

Quote:
we know the dimensions of bigger frame...
nothing about the inner picture
Insuff

We know x, but have no info about another variable. Insuff

Clearly suff, Let me know if my approach is valid.
INSEAD School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 945
Send PM
Bookmarks
Let the dimensions of the viewable portion of the picture be L and B. Let x be the uniform width of the border.
So dimensions of the frame would be L+2x and B+2x.
We need to find L and B.
Also we know that L+2x= 6

1) Area of the shaded region= Area of the frame- Area of the viewable portion
(L+2x)* (B+2x) - L*B= 24
6* (B+2x) - L*B= 24
Not sufficient to find L and B.

2) Height of the frame is 8 inches.
So B+2x= 8
Area of frame is 6*8= 48
Not enough information to find x.

1&2) Substituting information from statement 2 in 1, we get-
6*8- L*B= 24
L*B= 24

Also L+2x=6
2x= 6-L
Similarly, 2x= 8-B
So 6-L= 8-B
B-L=2
and L*B= 24
We have two unique equations for two different variables.
This is enough to find L and B.
Sufficient.

Answer: C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 406
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
uc26 wrote:
Let the dimensions of the viewable portion of the picture be L and B. Let x be the uniform width of the border.
We need to find L and B.

(L+2x)* (B+2x) - L*B= 24
6* (B+2x) - L*B= 24

So B+2x= 8
Area of frame is 6*8= 48

6*8- L*B= 24
L*B= 24

Also L+2x=6
2x= 6-L
Similarly, 2x= 8-B
So 6-L= 8-B
B-L=2
and L*B= 24
Sufficient.

You get a quadratic equation at the end which gives 2 unique values. You need to test for both. It's just luck that in this case one value gives garbage result and the other doesn't. It was either C or E.
INSEAD School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 945
Send PM
altairahmad wrote:
uc26 wrote:
We need to find L and B.

(L+2x)* (B+2x) - L*B= 24
6* (B+2x) - L*B= 24

So B+2x= 8
Area of frame is 6*8= 48

6*8- L*B= 24
L*B= 24

Also L+2x=6
2x= 6-L
Similarly, 2x= 8-B
So 6-L= 8-B
B-L=2
and L*B= 24
Sufficient.

You get a quadratic equation at the end which gives 2 unique values. You need to test for both. It's just luck that in this case one value gives garbage result and the other doesn't. It was either C or E.

Agreed. There could have been a chance where both values for the quadratic would have been positive.
But since this is a rectangle with fixed dimensions, we cannot have multiple possible valid values, correct? A rectangle has to have a set of unique values. I reasoned that even if we have such a scenario, we would have to reject one of the values because it would violate some condition. GMATBusters Could you please suggest if such an approach where we don't solve for the quadratic particularly for such questions is correct?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM