GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Aug 2018, 01:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A framed picture is shown above. The frame, shown shaded, is 6 inches

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.52
Reviews Badge
A framed picture is shown above. The frame, shown shaded, is 6 inches  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2016, 04:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:22) correct 29% (01:19) wrong based on 454 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Attachment:
Image.png
Image.png [ 15.44 KiB | Viewed 4928 times ]

A framed picture is shown above. The frame, shown shaded, is 6 inches wide and forms a border of uniform width around the picture. What are the dimensions of the viewable portion of the picture?

(1) The area of the shaded region is 24 square inches.
(2) The frame is 8 inches tall.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
V
Re: A framed picture is shown above. The frame, shown shaded, is 6 inches  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2016, 05:20
nalinnair wrote:
Attachment:
Image.png

A framed picture is shown above. The frame, shown shaded, is 6 inches wide and forms a border of uniform width around the picture. What are the dimensions of the viewable portion of the picture?

hi,

let the length be x, so dimensions of bigger rectangle = 6 and x...
Also let the width around be y, so dimensions are 6-2y and x-2y....

For the Q asked, we require value of x and y....

lets see the statements-

Area of shaded region = \(6*x - (6-2y)*(x-2y) = 6x - 6x+12y+2xy-4y^2 = 12y+2xy-4y^2 = 24\)
We can't solve for two variables through one equation...
Insuff

we know the dimensions of bigger frame...
nothing about the inner picture
Insuff

Combined-
12y+2xy-4y^2 = 24.......... x=8
so \(12y+16y-4y^2 = 24......................4y^2-28y+24 = 0...................y^2-7y+6 = 0.........(y-1)(y-6) = 0..\)
either y=1 or y=6.......
But if y=6, sides will become -ive, 6-2y = 6-2*6 = -6, so y=1.....

sides are 6-1*2 = 4 and 8-2*1=6.......
Suff

C

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
B
A framed picture is shown above. The frame, shown shaded, is 6 inches  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2017, 10:21
For x = height of the shaded region, the area of the shaded region can be expressed as:

24 = 6x - (Area of viewable portion V) => 24 = 6x - V

we have two unknowns so (1) and (2) they give one of the two variables x, V

Combining both we get the right answer hence C
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V39
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V33
Re: A framed picture is shown above. The frame, shown shaded, is 6 inches  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2017, 06:13
Any chance to resolve it without going into equations? If the smaller quadrilateral with the area of 24 is inside of the larger quadrilateral with the area of 48 and the border is uniform that these two quadrilaterals should have the same proportion? or something like that? the pair of 6 and 4 immediately comes to mind... Is it a good tactic here just to realize that using facts A and B must give us a solution and move to the next problem?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 10:42
Erjan_S wrote:
Any chance to resolve it without going into equations? If the smaller quadrilateral with the area of 24 is inside of the larger quadrilateral with the area of 48 and the border is uniform that these two quadrilaterals should have the same proportion? or something like that? the pair of 6 and 4 immediately comes to mind... Is it a good tactic here just to realize that using facts A and B must give us a solution and move to the next problem?

Hi Erjan,

I found this explanation helpful- http://www.gmatquantum.com/gmat-quantit ... view-2017/

Check it out as it might help you too.

Aiena.
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2018, 06:48
Hi chetan2u niks18 amanvermagmat gmatbusters

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

lets see the statements-

Area of shaded region = \(6*x - (6-2y)*(x-2y) = 6x - 6x+12y+2xy-4y^2 = 12y+2xy-4y^2 = 24\)
Insuff

Do I need to perform the said step by opening the brackets? Can I halt by seeing: A quadratic equation with two unknowns , clearly insufficient .

Quote:
Insuff

We know x, but have no info about another variable. Insuff

Combining both statements, I have a quadratic equation (which opens the possibility of even a negative
value as a root of equation, but a side can not be negative) and I do have an unique value of x from St 2.
Clearly suff, Let me know if my approach is valid.

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

DS Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2018, 08:50
Quote:

lets see the statements-

Insuff

Reply: Sometimes, the terms cancel out and equation can be solved. But yes careful examination can show that it is unsolvable. But under exam pressure sometimes, one tends to miss small aspects which can lead to mistake, So it is better to open the brackets. Believe me , it will not take more than 5 secs. One need to improve the calculation speed.

Quote:
Combining both statements, I have a quadratic equation (which opens the possibility of even a negative
value as a root of equation, but a side can not be negative) and I do have an unique value of x from St 2.
Clearly suff, Let me know if my approach is valid.[/color]

Reply: Why you think that every quadratic equation gives one positive and negative root. See, even in this questions, both roots are positive.
It is better to solve the equation, Cutting corners ( for sake of saving some time) for the question one knows could be proved detrimental.

adkikani wrote:
Hi

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

lets see the statements-

Insuff

Do I need to perform the said step by opening the brackets? Can I halt by seeing: A quadratic equation with two unknowns , clearly insufficient .

Quote:
Insuff

We know x, but have no info about another variable. Insuff

Clearly suff, Let me know if my approach is valid.

SC: Confusable words
All you need for Quant, GMAT PS Question Directory,GMAT DS Question Directory
Error log/Key Concepts
Combination Concept: Division into groups
Question of the Day (QOTD)
Free GMAT CATS

Re: A framed picture is shown above. The frame, shown shaded, is 6 inches &nbs [#permalink] 02 Jun 2018, 08:50

A framed picture is shown above. The frame, shown shaded, is 6 inches

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap