Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 20:50 It is currently 01 May 2024, 20:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [18]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT Date: 05-28-2012
GPA: 3.23
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring that employees should reta [#permalink]
Kudos
+1 for E for ||

to retain || to cash
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Re: The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring that employees should reta [#permalink]
prab wrote:
+1 for E for ||

to retain || to cash

Nope, to retain not parallel with to cash. If those two verb are ||, how can you explain with "be". Just see the pronoun "them" in underlined part. "them" in choice B have clearer antecedent "pensions" instead of "employees". If use choice B, the non-underlined part will become "pensions be allowed to cash them (pensions or employees) in at retirements.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Send PM
Gavan wrote:
The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring that employees should retain all pensions indefinitely or be allowed to cash them in at retirement.

a)that employees should retain all pensions
b)that all pensions be retained by employees
c)the retaining by employees of all pensions
d)employee's retension of all pensions
e)employees to retain all pensions

be allowed to cash them -> suggests that employees needs to be the subject
B, C and D out

E is the only option that treats employees to retain and employees be allowed - idiomatic and parallel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 509 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Supply Chain, Logistics
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Send PM
||. looking for to/be retain. B has wrong pronoun reference. E.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 832 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
Bookmarks
The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring that employees should retain all pensions indefinitely or be allowed to cash them in at retirement.

If we split the sentence according to choice E, we get,

1. The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring employees to retain all pensions
2. The CEO has proposed a new policy requiring employees be allowed to cash pensions in at retirement

As I know,
There are two possible constructions after ‘require’. One is ‘someone requires someone else to do something’, the other is the uses in subjunctive.

Split 1: Follows the 1st uses of 'require'
Split 2: Tries to follow the second uses of 'require', but misses subjunctive 'that'. Is it correct?

Correct me if I am wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
Send PM
confused between choices B and E
choice B uses passive voice whereas E uses active voice.
I think that gmat uses active voice whereever possible
correct me if i am wrong
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
Send PM
I am not sure I understood the explanation.

Could someone please post the OE?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15274 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
warriorguy wrote:

In command subjunctive mood, the verb in it's raw form is to be used. Command subjunctive is used for certain "bossy" verbs such as "demand", "require" etc.

I demand that you go there... right
I demand that you should go there... wrong

A: Because of wrong usage of command subjunctive (as described above), A is wrong.

B: Option B uses command subjunctive correctly (though in passive voice) - However the requirement is from employees, not from pensions. Therefore "employees" should be the subject of the clause in subjunctive mood.

C: Use of gerund with "requiring" is awkward. The requirement is from employees, not from retaining.

D: The requirement is from employees, not from retention.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
warriorguy wrote:

In command subjunctive mood, the verb in it's raw form is to be used. Command subjunctive is used for certain "bossy" verbs such as "demand", "require" etc.

A: Because of wrong usage of command subjunctive (as described above), A is wrong.

B: Option B uses command subjunctive correctly (though in passive voice) - However the requirement is from employees, not from pensions. Therefore "employees" should be the subject of the clause in subjunctive mood.

C: Use of gerund with "requiring" is awkward. The requirement is from employees, not from retaining.

Now that I think about the options - its clear to be - the form is bossy verb + that + subject + Command Sub:

Subject should be employees and not pension -

As usual, thanks sayantanc2k
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
warriorguy wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
warriorguy wrote:

Now that I think about the options - its clear to be - the form is bossy verb + that + subject + Command Sub:

Subject should be employees and not pension -

As usual, thanks sayantanc2k

I have the same doubt, why ''that' is missing in the correct answer?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
DML88 wrote:

Hi DML88,

Require can take either of the two forms - infinitive (to) and command subjunctive form: IF you observe option e then the form is "to" form.

Other verbs which can infinitive and command subjunctive are : ask, intend, beg, order, urge.

I hope that helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
warriorguy wrote:
DML88 wrote:

Hi DML88,

Require can take either of the two forms - infinitive (to) and command subjunctive form: IF you observe option e then the form is "to" form.

Other verbs which can infinitive and command subjunctive are : ask, intend, beg, order, urge.

I hope that helps.

Thank you! It is clear now and also make more sense in the question. Answer (E) keeps the meaning.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620594 [0]
Given Kudos: 81712
Send PM
Expert Reply
Gavan wrote:

A. that employees should retain all pensions
B. that all pensions be retained by employees
C. the retaining by employees of all pensions
D. employee's retension of all pensions
E. employees to retain all pensions

MANHATTAN REVIEW OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

There are two possible constructions after ‘require’ One is ‘someone requires someone else to do something’. The other uses the subjunctive. For example, ‘I require that you be on time’. The subjunctive is always introduced by ‘that’. Choice A does not fit the correct subjunctive pattern as it uses ‘should’, instead of just the infinitive of the verb without ‘to’. B is grammatically correct but it is passive. C is passive and uses ‘retaining’ instead of ‘retention’. D incorrectly implies that there is only one employee. E is also grammatically correct and is shorter and simpler than B and is therefore the correct answer. It is active rather than the passive B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: ISB '21 (S)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Gavan wrote:

A. that employees should retain all pensions
B. that all pensions be retained by employees
C. the retaining by employees of all pensions
D. employee's retension of all pensions
E. employees to retain all pensions

MANHATTAN REVIEW OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

There are two possible constructions after ‘require’ One is ‘someone requires someone else to do something’. The other uses the subjunctive. For example, ‘I require that you be on time’. The subjunctive is always introduced by ‘that’. Choice A does not fit the correct subjunctive pattern as it uses ‘should’, instead of just the infinitive of the verb without ‘to’. B is grammatically correct but it is passive. C is passive and uses ‘retaining’ instead of ‘retention’. D incorrectly implies that there is only one employee. E is also grammatically correct and is shorter and simpler than B and is therefore the correct answer. It is active rather than the passive B.

It is still unclear why B is eliminated over E. Is B eliminated just because 'them' refers to an incorrect antecedent (employees) while it should actually refer to pensions. Need some clarity.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
A. that employees should retain all pensions -- "should" isn't required in subjunctive mood construction. Incorrect.

B. that all pensions be retained by employees -- Parallelism error. Pensions be retained OR pensions be allowed. How can you allow pensions? :)

C. the retaining by employees of all pensions -- Subjunctive mood "requiring" requires either "that" or the noun entity followed by infinitive form of the verb

D. employee's retention of all pensions -- Possessive noun changes the meaning. CEO requires something of the employees, not from "employee's xxx"

E. employees to retain all pensions -- Correct.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts