Last visit was: 08 Jun 2024, 22:07 It is currently 08 Jun 2024, 22:07
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Level,    Pronouns,                      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 922 [115]
Given Kudos: 142
Schools: ISB '18
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3531 [31]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 672 [12]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4686 [6]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Literacy opened up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to ordinary [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
AJ1012 wrote:
Literacy opened up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to ordinary men and women having been previously considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves.

(A) having been previously considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves

(B) who had previously been considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves

(C) previously considered incapable of discerning truth for himself or herself

(D) of whom it had previously been considered they were incapable of discerning truth for themselves

(E) who had previously been considered incapable of discerning truth for himself or herself

Concepts tested here: Verb Forms + Pronouns + Awkwardness/Redundancy

A: This answer choice incorrectly uses the participle construction "having been...considered" to refer to the earlier of two actions that concluded in the past - ordinary men and women being considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves and literacy opening up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to these people; remember, the past perfect tense (marked by the use of helping verb "had") is used when a sentence contains two actions in the past; the helping verb "had" is used with the action in the "greater past".

B: Correct. This answer choice correctly uses the past perfect tense verb "had...been considered" to refer to the earlier of two actions that concluded in the past - ordinary men and women being considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves and literacy opening up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to these people. Further, Option B correctly refers to the plural nouns "men" and "women" with the plural pronoun "themselves". Additionally, Option B is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

C: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural nouns "men" and "women" with the singular pronouns "himself" and "herself" respectively.

D: THis answer choice uses the passive voice construction "of whom it had previously been considered they were incapable of discerning truth for themselves", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

E: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural nouns "men" and "women" with the singular pronouns "himself" and "herself" respectively.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Past Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [3]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Literacy opened up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to ordinary [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
AJ1012 wrote:
Q. Literacy opened up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to ordinary men and women having been previously considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves.
A.
having been previously considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves
B.
who had previously been considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves
C.
previously considered incapable of discerning truth for himself or herself
D.
of whom it had previously been considered they were incapable of discerning truth for themselves
E.
who had previously been considered incapable of discerning truth for himself or herself

Why E is a wrong choice in above question?

Below is as per i think...

First split is himself or herself vs themselves

Both convey similar meaning.....thus shorter is better .(brevity)

A. Having been (incorrect)
B. Correct
D. It reference issue

Sent from my Le X507 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [3]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Kudos
"men and women" is plural subject, hence requires plural pronoun, hence themselves is correct.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2775 [4]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
Literacy opened up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to ordinary men and women having been previously considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves.
A. having been previously considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves
B. who had previously been considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves
C. previously considered incapable of discerning truth for himself or herself
D. of whom it had previously been considered they were incapable of discerning truth for themselves
E. who had previously been considered incapable of discerning truth for himself or herself

having been changes the meaning away from the intended one. So given sentence is incorrect.
men and women is plural so himself or herself is incorrect thereby ruling out C and E.
choice D is wordy and clumsy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
hey

after eliminating all choices only B was left hence i chose B

But i have read in manhattan SC book that had is not used if sentence contains some other term referring back to that time or helping in deciding the sequence of events such as before

here also i think previously establishes that point and hence there should be were instead of had

please correct me where i am going wrong.

thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Quote:
But i have read in manhattan SC book that had is not used if sentence contains some other term referring back to that time or helping in deciding the sequence of events such as before

here also i think previously establishes that point and hence there should be were instead of had

I'm not sure about the rule you're referring to in the Manhattan SC book, but here's an overview of the past perfect:

When a sentence discusses two completed actions, the past perfect (had + verb) can be used to refer to the action that occurred first.

In some instances, either the simple past (preterit) or the past perfect can acceptably be used. In case of the latter, the past perfect merely serves to emphasize that one action occurred before the other. The sentence you are asking about falls into this category.

Simple Past: Literacy opened up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to ordinary men and women who were previously considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves.

Past Perfect: Literacy opened up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to ordinary men and women who had previously been considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves.

In the first version, the simple past emphasizes that both actions took place in the past.

In the second version, the past perfect emphasizes that one action took place before the other -- that ordinary men and women were considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves before literacy became commonplace.

If anything, the word "previously" reinforces the acceptability of the past perfect here because it emphasizes the sequence of events.

In other instances, the past perfect is required, and the simple past cannot be used.

For example, when dealing with hypothetical ("if") clauses and result clauses, the tenses follow a very strict pattern. If the main clause contains the past conditional (would have + past participle), the "if" clause must contain the past perfect.

Correct: Investors' concerns would have grown significantly if the market had continued to decline.

Incorrect: Investors' concerns would have grown significantly if the market continued to decline.

In this case, an adverb of time (e.g. "before" or "previously) would not normally appear in the same clause as the past perfect. That might be the rule you're thinking of.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7810 [7]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos