GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 23:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

Literacy opened up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to ordinary

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '18
Literacy opened up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to ordinary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Oct 2018, 21:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (00:47) correct 24% (00:59) wrong based on 1479 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Literacy opened up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to ordinary men and women having been previously considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves.

(A) having been previously considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves

(B) who had previously been considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves

(C) previously considered incapable of discerning truth for himself or herself

(D) of whom it had previously been considered they were incapable of discerning truth for themselves

(E) who had previously been considered incapable of discerning truth for himself or herself

Why E is a wrong choice in above question?

Originally posted by AJ1012 on 02 Jul 2016, 23:52.
Last edited by hazelnut on 14 Oct 2018, 21:33, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
VP
VP
G
Re: Literacy opened up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to ordinary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2016, 09:16
AJ1012 wrote:

The sentence says men and women: men is plural and so is women.

Hence, himself or herself, as pronouns, do not have any antecedent.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Literacy opened up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to ordinary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2016, 03:09
AJ1012 wrote:
Q. Literacy opened up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to ordinary men and women having been previously considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves.
A.
having been previously considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves
B.
who had previously been considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves
C.
previously considered incapable of discerning truth for himself or herself
D.
of whom it had previously been considered they were incapable of discerning truth for themselves
E.
who had previously been considered incapable of discerning truth for himself or herself

Below is as per i think...

First split is himself or herself vs themselves

Both convey similar meaning.....thus shorter is better .(brevity)

A. Having been (incorrect)
B. Correct
D. It reference issue

Sent from my Le X507 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

way to victory .....

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 07:25
"men and women" is plural subject, hence requires plural pronoun, hence themselves is correct.
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2016, 14:30
I understand the B has the correct Pronoun antecedent. Now please explain this - isnt 'previously been considered' redundant? how is that correct? been considered should suffice, there is no need for 'previously'. Experts, please help; I would appreciate an early response.

Thanks a ton,
I know nothing
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2017, 08:29
Literacy opened up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to ordinary men and women having been previously considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves.

Issues: Modifier

A. having been previously considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves
- Incorrect modifier "-ing"

B. who had previously been considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves
- Correct modifier "who" to indicate people considered incapable

C. previously considered incapable of discerning truth for himself or herself
- Missing connector
- himself or herself has no antecedent

D. of whom it had previously been considered they were incapable of discerning truth for themselves
- "of whom" creates meaning error
- "considered they" has no connected
- overall this option has poor construction

E. who had previously been considered incapable of discerning truth for himself or herself
- himself or herself has no antecedent

Answer: B
Director
Director
G
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 16:18
Q. Literacy opened up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to ordinary men and women having been previously considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves.
A.
having been previously considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves
B.
who had previously been considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves
C.
previously considered incapable of discerning truth for himself or herself
D.
of whom it had previously been considered they were incapable of discerning truth for themselves
E.
who had previously been considered incapable of discerning truth for himself or herself

Men- is plural
women- is plural

men and women - is always plural, pronoun used for plural antecedent is also plural, B is the correct choice.

Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 20:44
Top Contributor
A. having been previously considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves
B. who had previously been considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves
C. previously considered incapable of discerning truth for himself or herself
D. of whom it had previously been considered they were incapable of discerning truth for themselves
E. who had previously been considered incapable of discerning truth for himself or herself

having been changes the meaning away from the intended one. So given sentence is incorrect.
men and women is plural so himself or herself is incorrect thereby ruling out C and E.
choice D is wordy and clumsy.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.9
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 03:48
hey

after eliminating all choices only B was left hence i chose B

But i have read in manhattan SC book that had is not used if sentence contains some other term referring back to that time or helping in deciding the sequence of events such as before

here also i think previously establishes that point and hence there should be were instead of had

please correct me where i am going wrong.

thanks
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 14:55
Quote:
But i have read in manhattan SC book that had is not used if sentence contains some other term referring back to that time or helping in deciding the sequence of events such as before

here also i think previously establishes that point and hence there should be were instead of had

I'm not sure about the rule you're referring to in the Manhattan SC book, but here's an overview of the past perfect:

When a sentence discusses two completed actions, the past perfect (had + verb) can be used to refer to the action that occurred first.

In some instances, either the simple past (preterit) or the past perfect can acceptably be used. In case of the latter, the past perfect merely serves to emphasize that one action occurred before the other. The sentence you are asking about falls into this category.

Simple Past: Literacy opened up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to ordinary men and women who were previously considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves.

Past Perfect: Literacy opened up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to ordinary men and women who had previously been considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves.

In the first version, the simple past emphasizes that both actions took place in the past.

In the second version, the past perfect emphasizes that one action took place before the other -- that ordinary men and women were considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves before literacy became commonplace.

If anything, the word "previously" reinforces the acceptability of the past perfect here because it emphasizes the sequence of events.

In other instances, the past perfect is required, and the simple past cannot be used.

For example, when dealing with hypothetical ("if") clauses and result clauses, the tenses follow a very strict pattern. If the main clause contains the past conditional (would have + past participle), the "if" clause must contain the past perfect.

Correct: Investors' concerns would have grown significantly if the market had continued to decline.

Incorrect: Investors' concerns would have grown significantly if the market continued to decline.

In this case, an adverb of time (e.g. "before" or "previously) would not normally appear in the same clause as the past perfect. That might be the rule you're thinking of.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 23:49
smanujahrc, our book doesn't say that you can't use past perfect when other indicators are present. It's just that in some such cases, past perfect isn't necessary. We could probably get away without using past perfect here--the context and the word "previously" make the order of events clear--but there's nothing stopping us from using it, either.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 03:07
please let me know why other options are incorrect?
B. usage of "had" is correct in it?
why C is not correct?
VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 23:39
Soumanti Roy wrote:
please let me know why other options are incorrect?
B. usage of "had" is correct in it?
why C is not correct?

Hi Soumanti Roy, indeed the structure in option B (had been considered) is called a past perfect tense. It is most appropriate here because two events happened in the past:

i) Literacy opened up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to ordinary men and women

ii) These ordinary men and women had previously been considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves

When two events happened in the past, past perfect tense is often used to establish a chronological sequence (time sequence) between the two events: The event that is expressed in past perfect happened earlier and the events that is expressed in simple past, happened later.

Quote:
why C is not correct?

In C the, entire sentence is in simple past. As I discussed above, past perfect is preferable in such scenarios.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Past perfect tense, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2018, 17:20
I thought B was ambiguous. How do I know whether "who" modifies "men and women" or just "women"?
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 08:04
dahui911 wrote:
I thought B was ambiguous. How do I know whether "who" modifies "men and women" or just "women"?

Hello dahui911,

I am not sure if you still have this doubt. Here is the explanation nonetheless. :-)

The original sentence says that literacy opened up the realm of knowledge to ordinary men and women. All these men and women were considered incapable of discerning truth for themselves.

Hence logically, who in the correct answer choice B clearly refers to both men and women. Grammatically, the noun modifier who modifies the preceding noun phrase men and women.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 11:33
100% agree with DmitryFarber
For your reference smanujahrc, please find an example where time indicator "before" is given, still past perfect is used.

Quote:
The personal income tax did not become permanent in the United States until the First World War; before that time the federal government was dependent on tariffs to be their main source of revenue.

A. the federal government was dependent on tariffs to be their main source of revenue

B. the federal government had depended on tariffs as its main source of revenue

C. tariffs were what the federal government was dependent on to be its main source of revenue

D. the main source of revenue for the federal government was dependent on tariffs

E. for their main source of revenue, tariffs were depended on by the federal government

Please award :thumbup: kudos, If this post helped you in someway. :student_man:

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Literacy opened up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to ordinary &nbs [#permalink] 27 Sep 2018, 11:33

Literacy opened up entire realms of verifiable knowledge to ordinary

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap