Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 08:55 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 08:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.96
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.76
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]
jonny1986 wrote:
BigTuna wrote:
No email. I know there's technically still hope but I feel crushed :(

Cheer up! Some people are suggesting that the distribution is different this year (i.e. a smaller percentage of invites went out today). :-D

I definitely share your sentiment though. I'm going in blind with all of my applications, so HBS is the first "feedback" I'm getting on whether I'll be a viable candidate anywhere. I didn't use an admissions consultant, and I come from a non-traditional background (actuarial work), so nobody in my office has gone through this process before. I'm just thankful Booth will be releasing results next Friday--If I fail to get an invite from both HBS and Booth, then I'll at least know sooner rather than later that there was something fundamentally wrong with my application.

What are your stats, if you don't mind my asking (background, scores, etc)?

Where did you hear that about Booth? I expected interview invites to be coming out soon but I haven't seen dates posted anywhere.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.96
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Harvard MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019! [#permalink]
michman wrote:
Where did you hear that about Booth? I expected interview invites to be coming out soon but I haven't seen dates posted anywhere.

Check your inbox for the "Thank you for submitting your application" e-mail. In it, it lists important dates, one of which is "Interview Decision: By October 14".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
BigTuna wrote:
I think for me -- at some point, I went from thinking I had no shot (overrepresented pool, average/slightly below average GPA) to believing in my own hype (I genuinely am passionate about what I want to do post-MBA, and a fairly good store). So this was somewhat of a snap-back-to-reality moment.

You described the exact thing I felt today. It's hard for me not to oscillate between extremely confident and super pessimistic. Difficult to have HBS go first for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72922 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
bb wrote:
Update - at the moment 16 total Invites received by GMAT Club members. Update your status please if you got one. Thank you!

Current count is at 22 invites - thank you all for updating your status!
Fingers crossed for the rest.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
CJH2015 wrote:
Good luck everyone!

Can someone clarify one thing? I got an interview but DID NOT see this part that Poets & Quants referenced:

"Also, in an apparent attempt to win over more applicants who may get an admit from Stanford University’s Graduate School of Business or other rival schools, HBS told applicants invited to interview that it was conducting a new pilot program. “Admissions is running a pilot this fall to connect interviewees and alumni, and we invite you to participate so you can learn more about HBS from one of our recent graduates,” according to email invites. “Participating in this pilot is completely optional and will not impact your admissions decision; this is not part of the admissions evaluation process. To opt-in to this pilot, please click here. The deadline to opt-in is noon EDT on Thursday, October 13. We hope you will take advantage of this – our alums are eager to talk to you.”

The last para in the interview invite mail talks something about on and off sessions specifically for interviewees

Originally posted by BSeasoned on 04 Oct 2016, 23:29.
Last edited by BSeasoned on 05 Oct 2016, 00:24, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.85
WE:Design (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
bb wrote:
bb wrote:
Update - at the moment 16 total Invites received by GMAT Club members. Update your status please if you got one. Thank you!

Current count is at 22 invites - thank you all for updating your status!
Fingers crossed for the rest.

Hi bb

Can you please share the details of the people who received an invite, like the screenshot you shared for the 12 people? It's very helpful to some extent in understanding what the admission officers have in mind. And it shall be really appreciable and helpful if you can keep updating that. I am applying in 2nd round and any leads to admissions team perspective is of prime importance to me.

P.S. Congratulation :beer to All who got their interview invites & All the Best :good to those who have their fingers crossed for upcoming dates.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
CJH2015 wrote:
Good luck everyone!

Can someone clarify one thing? I got an interview but DID NOT see this part that Poets & Quants referenced:

"Also, in an apparent attempt to win over more applicants who may get an admit from Stanford University’s Graduate School of Business or other rival schools, HBS told applicants invited to interview that it was conducting a new pilot program. “Admissions is running a pilot this fall to connect interviewees and alumni, and we invite you to participate so you can learn more about HBS from one of our recent graduates,” according to email invites. “Participating in this pilot is completely optional and will not impact your admissions decision; this is not part of the admissions evaluation process. To opt-in to this pilot, please click here. The deadline to opt-in is noon EDT on Thursday, October 13. We hope you will take advantage of this – our alums are eager to talk to you.”

This part of the email:

"When and where do interviews take place?

We conduct interviews on campus and all over the world. We even do some via Skype. It doesn't matter where or how you choose to interview with us - all interviews are conducted by a member of the MBA Admissions Board. To see the dates and locations for our interviews, visit our Interview Information pages.

In addition to the interviews, we have many events planned both on and off campus specifically for interviewees. These are also noted on our Interview Information pages. Sign up for as many of the events as you wish!"

If you click on the Interview Information hyperlink in the email, it will take you to a website with a video and all the details of the sign up and any off and on campus events.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jonny1986 wrote:
BigTuna wrote:

Cheer up! Some people are suggesting that the distribution is different this year (i.e. a smaller percentage of invites went out today). :-D

I definitely share your sentiment though. I'm going in blind with all of my applications, so HBS is the first "feedback" I'm getting on whether I'll be a viable candidate anywhere. I didn't use an admissions consultant, and I come from a non-traditional background (actuarial work), so nobody in my office has gone through this process before. I'm just thankful Booth will be releasing results next Friday--If I fail to get an invite from both HBS and Booth, then I'll at least know sooner rather than later that there was something fundamentally wrong with my application.

What are your stats, if you don't mind my asking (background, scores, etc)?

I was the same as you. Totally non-traditional background and completely bonkers post-MBA goal in entrepreneurship. Currently in consulting but not MBB. I also didn't use a consultant so I totally understand how you feel about using HBS as the first gauge for whether the rest of the schools are likely to buy into your story. Also, if this helps at all, looking at the interview information website, the overseas dates are very specific so to me it would make sense for them to invite the international applicants as early as possible.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Kudos
BigTuna wrote:

Same situation here. Cheer up buddy, we will be fine. Look forward and don't worry!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.79
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Does anyone have an idea about the percentage of invitees that went out on the 4th?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
Hey,

I think this question is almost impossible to answer without input from the admissions committee.

But as an engineer I feel compelled to come up with an answer :lol:

So here is my guess:

Based on last years announcements, about 70% of interview slots are gone => 30% more to come.
Based on last years GMAT club statistics, 32 people updated their status on October 6th (29), 7th (3). This year, October 5th is not gone yet. But till now 22 people have updated their status. Lets err on the side of being safe and assume that about 3 more people will update their status.

Going by this, we can assume that about 470 students were invited for an interview. Lets again err on the side of being safe and say that they announced 500 invitations.

All of this implies that 60% of interview slots are gone => 40% more to come.

I think it would be safe to assume that 30% - 40% interviews are yet to be announced. Good luck :)

Adi
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Send PM
adi383 wrote:
Hey,

I think this question is almost impossible to answer without input from the admissions committee.

So here is my guess:

Based on last years announcements, about 70% of interview slots are gone => 30% more to come.
Based on last years GMAT club statistics, 32 people updated their status on October 6th (29), 7th (3). This year, October 5th is not gone yet. But till now 22 people have updated their status. Lets err on the side of being safe and assume that about 3 more people will update their status.

Going by this, we can assume that about 470 students were invited for an interview. Lets again err on the side of being safe and say that they announced 500 invitations.

I think it would be safe to assume that 30% - 40% interviews are yet to be announced. Good luck :)

Adi

One interesting thing to consider is the official justification for the waves. From the Director: "We spread out interview invitations to avoid congestion on the interview sign-up pages." If they are being truthful, then they would want a pretty even split. My personal speculation is they really do try to split it pretty evenly between the first two days for the stated reason and the third wave is for applications they haven't gotten to yet or for tougher calls.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
pr0spect wrote:
adi383 wrote:
Hey,

So here is my guess:

Adi

One interesting thing to consider is the official justification for the waves. From the Director: "We spread out interview invitations to avoid congestion on the interview sign-up pages." If they are being truthful, then they would want a pretty even split. My personal speculation is they really do try to split it pretty evenly between the first two days for the stated reason and the third wave is for applications they haven't gotten to yet or for tougher calls.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if most announcements are made on 4th and then less on 6th and then even less on the 12th. I am not going to argue about the reason for announcements on 12th.

But, its all a ratios game. You want the system to be congested equally. If 900 interview slots are left, they invite 600 on 4th => ratio is 2/3. On 6th, 300 interview slots are then left, they invite 200 => ratio is 2/3.

If I were to design a congestion solution, I would focus on the ratio. If the number of invites was truly equal, the congestion would be much higher on the 2nd day compared to the 1st as the the number of interview slots is fixed.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Anyone who got their invite manage to open up the interview booking portal? My status hasn't changed on my application page so there's nothing to select yet.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
kyxj wrote:
Anyone who got their invite manage to open up the interview booking portal? My status hasn't changed on my application page so there's nothing to select yet.

Yes. It is working. I booked my slot
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks - I found it after I clicked into the actual application! Thought it would be on the landing page. Dumb...

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
BSeasoned wrote:
kyxj wrote:

Yes. It is working. I booked my slot

Yes - click into your full application page (the one that tells you your application ID reference number) - there's a new yellow box that appears. Click that link there and you can book.

Separately, BSeasoned, kyxj, in your guys' invitations, did it mention anything about this "pilot alumni program". I've scoured all over my invite and the interview page links and can't find reference to it. Assume it only got distributed to some people perhaps...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13   14   15  ...  28   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts