Last visit was: 29 May 2024, 09:14 It is currently 29 May 2024, 09:14
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1433 [0]
Given Kudos: 575
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Experiences besides the main experience. [#permalink]
EduSimplified wrote:
Hi gmat2k17,
It seems that you are planning to quit your job as it is to pursue an MBA. And MBA adcoms love an entrepreneurial application. You should put this in your resume simply because its true. You have worked in those startups and you are not lying. You need to navigate a strategy around this conundrum to answer any questions IF ANY are raised by the B-school adcoms.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I'm prepared to answer any questions about them.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

gmat2k17 I would agree, definitely mention it. They are looking to get to know you in these applications. If your guidance has been instrumental to the success of these companies, I would not hide it. A bit confused about what you're saying about the cost savings thing. I have all my candidates indicate cost savings they have generated and everyone I've worked with has been admitted to at least one top program. These applications are private documents. That issue aside, I think these experiences would definitely benefit you, and put you in the light as someone who is a leader and innovator. Own your brilliance =)

I saw a video in which an adcom member was asked this question that whether it is okay for an applicant to disclose a confidential information of the company in an application and the response from the adcom member was that they view it as a breach of trust and a policy violation by the applicant and the application is rejected. The interviewer did cite confidential figures of the project and client's name as examples.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The point was not any cost saving I guess. It was about confidential cost savings.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1433 [0]
Given Kudos: 575
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmat2k17 wrote:
The point was not any cost saving I guess. It was about confidential cost savings.

Oh, I see. Thank you for sharing, very interesting. This doesn't seem to be the case for you though - right?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Oh, I see. Thank you for sharing, very interesting. This doesn't seem to be the case for you though - right?

Not at all.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
I would definitely mention this, I have not heard of such a policy if I am understanding your issue correctly. This seems to be a major area of strength for your application so you should def position as a key component for your application
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
I would definitely mention this, I have not heard of such a policy if I am understanding your issue correctly. This seems to be a major area of strength for your application so you should def position as a key component for your application

Thanks a lot Dozie.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Hi there -

So if I'm understanding you correctly, you had a "moonlighting" provision at your company, so you couldn't be working somewhere else, right? That normally means that you can't be paid somewhere else. So, were you paid or was this like start-up consulting in your free time (eg. an extracurricular)? Many of my clients are involved in things like this and consider themselves to be advisers to start-ups or in the early stages of their own ideas that they wouldn't consider actual "second jobs", as many corporate moonlighting provisions describe them. So, that being said I think you may be overthinking it a bit. But be conservative with regards to anything ethical. You want to be truthful in what you've been doing.

Hope that helps - best of luck!

Kindly,
Meredith
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VantagePointMeredith wrote:
Hi there -

So if I'm understanding you correctly, you had a "moonlighting" provision at your company, so you couldn't be working somewhere else, right? That normally means that you can't be paid somewhere else. So, were you paid or was this like start-up consulting in your free time (eg. an extracurricular)? Many of my clients are involved in things like this and consider themselves to be advisers to start-ups or in the early stages of their own ideas that they wouldn't consider actual "second jobs", as many corporate moonlighting provisions describe them. So, that being said I think you may be overthinking it a bit. But be conservative with regards to anything ethical. You want to be truthful in what you've been doing.

Hope that helps - best of luck!

Kindly,
Meredith

'Moonlighting' - nice word.
No, I wasn't paid for it. It was done with a friend and with his dad's money; a good amount of capital was required to set them up. One of the startup is in its third year of operation. Time to take money out of these ventures hasn't yet arrived :|. This wasn't a normal extra-curricular activity as I was spending quite a lot of time in these firms. In addition, I have mentored a start-up, but I don't think that that is something meaningful enough to include in my application as an extra-curricular.
GMAT Club Bot