Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:33 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Tensed about the GMAT. Any tips? [#permalink]
roykabir772 wrote:
Hey guys,

I have my exam scheduled in about 8hrs and I am extremely tensed at the moment. This is going to be my first attempt. I just can't sleep. Any tips maybe?

Cheers,
Kabir

How was your exam. Do share your experience!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Tensed about the GMAT. Any tips? [#permalink]
Hi roykabir772

Mind if you share your experience?

I've never taken GMAT before, so maybe you can share some light
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Well my test day experience was quite exciting to be honest with slight disappointment due to my quant score. I scored a 700 (q47 v39).
I reached the test centre way ahead of time but couldn't start the test early since all the work stations were occupied. The invigilator could sense my anxiety and nervousness. He asked me to stay calm and reminded me that it's just an exam.
I kept all my stuff in the locker and went ahead to start the GMAT. I started the verbal section first. The SC questions were a mixed bag. For some, I could eliminate 4 answers just based on an idiom or SV disagreement. Towards the end, the SCs were mostly meaning based. I had to read these SCs slower than my usual speed. In case of CR questions, in my opinion, they were moderately difficult throughout. I faced a few evaluate questions along with others but no bold face questions. I got 4 passages(2long 2medium). One of the passages came at around 35. Except for one, I was able to maintain appropriate pace. Because of the last passage, I had to guess a CR. Towards the end, I could sense that I did fine in verbal and was gearing up for quant.
Took the break, had half of the protein bar, gulped down some red bull and entered the test room for round 2. I guess I got over confident with quant and hence took way above 2 minutes to solve the first couple of questions. I think I got 4-5 wrong in the first 13-15 questions. I went blank at around question 3-4 and had to remind myself of all the effort that I had put in all these months. Back on track, I went ahead with the rest of the questions. I could sense that the questions were not that tricky or difficult anymore. I figured at this point that a 50 51 is impossible now. Finished the section on time.
At this time I was extremely exhausted. I took the next break and had the remaining protein bar and red bull. Then started with IR. I remember yawning a few times during IR. Skipped a MSQ. Attempted the rest and went ahead to start AWA. I wrote the template down and analysed the argument. It had plenty of flaws. Discussed a couple in the essay and was eager to finish the test asap. Finished away with 45secs to spare. Clicked end exam and a 700 popped in my screen. I was slightly disheartened about the quant score and disproportion in my score but overall a fun experience for me.

P.S. Ignore the typos, if any. Didn't get the time to proofread.

Cheers,
Kabir
Intern
Intern
Send PM
roykabir772 wrote:
Well my test day experience was quite exciting to be honest with slight disappointment due to my quant score. I scored a 700 (q47 v39).
I reached the test centre way ahead of time but couldn't start the test early since all the work stations were occupied. The invigilator could sense my anxiety and nervousness. He asked me to stay calm and reminded me that it's just an exam.
I kept all my stuff in the locker and went ahead to start the GMAT. I started the verbal section first. The SC questions were a mixed bag. For some, I could eliminate 4 answers just based on an idiom or SV disagreement. Towards the end, the SCs were mostly meaning based. I had to read these SCs slower than my usual speed. In case of CR questions, in my opinion, they were moderately difficult throughout. I faced a few evaluate questions along with others but no bold face questions. I got 4 passages(2long 2medium). One of the passages came at around 35. Except for one, I was able to maintain appropriate pace. Because of the last passage, I had to guess a CR. Towards the end, I could sense that I did fine in verbal and was gearing up for quant.
Took the break, had half of the protein bar, gulped down some red bull and entered the test room for round 2. I guess I got over confident with quant and hence took way above 2 minutes to solve the first couple of questions. I think I got 4-5 wrong in the first 13-15 questions. I went blank at around question 3-4 and had to remind myself of all the effort that I had put in all these months. Back on track, I went ahead with the rest of the questions. I could sense that the questions were not that tricky or difficult anymore. I figured at this point that a 50 51 is impossible now. Finished the section on time.
At this time I was extremely exhausted. I took the next break and had the remaining protein bar and red bull. Then started with IR. I remember yawning a few times during IR. Skipped a MSQ. Attempted the rest and went ahead to start AWA. I wrote the template down and analysed the argument. It had plenty of flaws. Discussed a couple in the essay and was eager to finish the test asap. Finished away with 45secs to spare. Clicked end exam and a 700 popped in my screen. I was slightly disheartened about the quant score and disproportion in my score but overall a fun experience for me.

P.S. Ignore the typos, if any. Didn't get the time to proofread.

Cheers,
Kabir

Wow, despite all of the troubles you have gone through, you manage to get a 700 score. That was great. Your experience lightening some doubts in my mind.
With this score, I think you can apply comfortably to any schools you want :). I also want to get a 700+ score, so that the adcom would consider me to get a scholarship (I have a financial limitation).
Anyway, cheers for your score and all the best. :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for your kind words. ?
I am thinking of going for a retake and try to push my quant percentile while keeping the verbal percentile intact. Lets see.

Cheers,
Kabir
Intern
Intern
Send PM
roykabir772 wrote:
Thanks for your kind words. ?
I am thinking of going for a retake and try to push my quant percentile while keeping the verbal percentile intact. Lets see.

Cheers,
Kabir

Great !! You'll push yourself to the limit !! May the best score showed on the screen
I'll keep my fingers cross :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the motivation. ?
All the best to you too. I am sure you're gonna nail the GMAT. ?

Cheers,
Kabir
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3807 [1]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM